Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park with a MOTORHOME
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:41 pm 

Hi,

We will be driving from Joburg - do you know of any good campsites on the way ? say a couple of hours from Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

Many Thanks
amy

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Amy,
We did the KTP once with a motorhome and it wasn't a big succes. The motorhome had a lot of trouble with the road towards the park and the roads in the park. Because of the bad roads we stayed only 3 nights instead of the seven as planned Essp. the "loose sand" (don't know the right word for it) gave the motor it self big problems as did the long corrugated parts for the rest of the motorhome. I have to say that we had a eight metre (Discoverer 5 or so) long motor home, maybe it will be better for a smaller one.
The road towards the park is upgraded now, as far as I can understand from other members who where there recently. And I think they can inform you better about this road.
As far as I know the roads in the park are still in a "un motorhome friendly condition". But that is from hear say
Regards, Cees

Last edited by Dotty on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
commercial link removed

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17 am 

thankyou for that reply - since contacting people hiring our motorhome - we are not allowed to take it to KTP due to the rough roads
We need to have a re think as we need to go somewhere Malaria free.

Amy

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:27 pm 

Hi Amy
Maybe you should try some other places that hire out camping equipment and vehicles. There are many other options. Maybe a vehicle that can handle the roads better with a rooftop tent. There are many places that hire out camping equipment. Do a google search for 4x4hire and you should find something, or let me know and I will send you some web addresses.
Don't give up - KTP is a great place to visit
Carol

Post subject: Kgalagadi on sedan and camping
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:33 am 

hello,

I plan to vist north west region of SA in AUgust. I had like to visit Kgalagadi and other National Parks in the region. I have +- 21 days and plane back is from Cape Town.

Some questions:
- what kind of car do I have to hire in Cape Town? We are a family with 2 smal children, 8 and 3 y. I plan to hire a normal family car so I can't to 4x4 trails, but normal roads?
- I had like to camp but I think this period is to cold? Is it?
- If I can't camp I'll have to sleep in bungalows. Do I have to book in advance? Which should I book?
- Which other nice national parks in the region should I also visit?
- If you have some nice places to stay in the region it's welcome. I like places which are not to expensive, luxury is not necessary but a bit of comfort is welcome because of travelling with smal children.

Thanks a lot for info!!!!!

Greetings,

Vincent

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi on sedan and camping
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi vinomundo and welcome!

The car - if you can afford it go for a Nissan X-Trail or something similar. The height will be very useful and the fact that it is a (soft) off roader means that you will travel comfortably over the gravel roads of Kgalagadi. Otherwise if the budget is tight then a Toyota Corolla or Avanza will be sufficient. However bear in mind tht if you are camping that the car must be big enough for a tent, sleeping bags, chairs, clothes etc. If you decide on camping you should consider renting a off-road camper that can fit 4. Several companies have them for hire and they include all camping equipment and usually a fridge as well. The tar roads in SA are good.

August can be a bit cold but camping can be handled. Warm sleeping bags, woolen hats, jackets and gloves will keep you warm.

I would suggest you book in advance to avoid disappointment. Schools close end of August and IIRC private schools are on holiday in August.
In Kgalagadi the chalets are great and very comfortable. The chalets at Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata are fully equipped, affordable and very comfortable. Unfortunately Mata Mata only has 2 bed chalets (why Sanparks???) so you may have to book 2 chalets. Otherwise e-mail the camp and ask if its OK if your kids share with you.

Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob also have camp sites available, just remember you will have to bring all your own equipment.

The wilderness camps are a bit more expensive and only Kalahari Tented Camp offers 4 bed units. The other camps do not allow more than 2 per unit. The wilderness camps do not offer camp sites.

You'll be coming from Cape Town, I will highly recommend Namaqua National Park (no campng though), although you may not get accommodation there as it will be the flowering season then. Augrabies is a must, it is near Upinton and has comfortable 4 bed chalets as well as camp sites available.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi on sedan and camping
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi vinomundo & welcome to the forum.

It might be an idea to fly from Cape Town to Upington and hire a vehicle there, unless you wish to travel by road. The end of August is the Namaqualand flower season and accomodation from Darling to Springbok and Calvinia is quite full.

Post subject: No Camping space available?
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:20 pm 

Any practical suggestions please.

I'm visiting KFP at the end of May for 9days in a 4x4 with tent on top entering Mata Mata gate. So far all the requests for camping space returned with a fully booked reply.

I haven't tried the unfenced camps yet. If I cannot get a camping space what is the next option to pursue?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: No Camping space available?
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello and welcome to the forum
Looking at the availabilty there is still plenty of camping accommodation at Mata Mata from the 25 th May onwards.
Twee Rivieren has plenty of camping available.
its only Nossop that appears to be fully booked
Try to book online
Elizabeth

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:01 pm 

Elizabeth Thank you, I'll do that.

Sorry fo my ignorance as I have never been in this area before - what
happens if I do not get back into the camp by 1800 hours? Is it like Kruger park where they fine you money that you need for petrol or are they more forgiving? I realise that park rules say that you cannot drive at night.

I'm used to the North American parks where you just go into the wilderness find a spot and sleep in the car. (grizzly bears do ocasionally knock on the car window asking for breakfast.)

Carlos

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
The rules of Sanparks are that you arrive back before a certain time( it does change according to the time of the year. ) but there is no reason to be late unless you have a problem with the car. So there is no reason to loose all your money on fines. America might tolerate driving late but the situation in the Game Parks here is very different. You also have to keep to the designated roads even though you might have a 4x4, off road riding is not tolerated. You have to sleep in a recognised camp at night. Some of the camps only have chalets or safari tents but no camping that is why its so important to book your spot.
Happy planning
Elizabeth

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:01 pm 

Elizabeth you are a great lady for all this advice. I'll strickly obey the rules because I don't have much bread to pay on fines.

If you never experienced being woken up in the wilderness by one of those creatures looking for breakfast, you're missing something.

I can think of many reasons to get back before closing time - I'm a professional photographer - imagine an African sunset with an appealing scene and you have to leave it to get back back before closing time?

If there are any photographers reading this I know exactly what they would say. But you converted me with your information for my own good.

Thank you very much for your advice.
I'll stick to it as a human being - but will I as a photographer stick to it? YES, I will! Unless? I'll they know? Do they have cameras like the millions of cameras present in London?

Obrigado Senhorita

Carlos

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:13 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi and welcome to the Forums!

Yes, all need to adhere to the rules. These rules ensure that the parks remain as pristine as they are, otherwise everybody would just do as they please, with the resulting damage to nature and the sense of wilderness.

In the end in our National Parks the good of nature is placed above the preference of man. And that is the way it should remain.

If you are really serious about your photography you can apply for special permissions. But then you will be accompanied by a guide. There is of course costs involved in this.

As for sunsets in KTP ... brilliant even from the camps!

Enjoy your visit!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:53 pm 

We also had a little problem. We wanted 2 nights in Nossob, but only 1 was available. Almost every day I checked ‘availability’ en this morning……. Yes!!!!! A chalet was available. Someone must have cancelled the chalet. So we made a phone call to the reservation number. It was still free. Finally we have 2 nights in different chalets, but that’s not a problem. Now we can go to Union’s End and sign the book.

So check every day the ‘availability’. Now you see it is possible. It happened to us.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:16 pm 

And you may still be able to get two nights in the same chalet..even when you arrive ask reception if they can do anything to help you. Quite often they are able to sort it out for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next