Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:09 am 

Thanks for those encouraging words BB. A whole 3 degrees Excellent!!

Also thanks for the invite but we will be away for that weekend.

Dale, still need to book the campsites. Seems like they are not grabbed up like the chalets. We are waiting for friends to confirm whether they will join. We are aiming for 18-21 Des.

Cheers

Johan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:18 am 

Does not look too good for mid summer camping. Google Earth also didn't show much green but then, it is the Kalahari and not Knysna.

I have been there twice before. In December 1988 when I was 12, can't remember whether it was warm or not because hot weather does not bother kids, althoug my parents says it was terrible and then again with my wife in 2002 during June. Fantastic weather.

Thing is we stayed in chalets eveytime and I did not take notice of the campsites. Once again thanks for photo.

Regards

Johan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Matta Matta has the most shade, then Nossob, then Twee riverin the least.

Matta Mattas trees are also bigger, so I am sure this would be the coolest.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:24 pm 

What is camping like at Twee rivieren ? Booked for next year April , and trivieren was the only camp where we could find a spot . Took 7 nights , hoping to find cancellations at nossob or mata while we are there .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Keep trying all the time until then by checking availablity on this site as cancellations occur all the time.
IMHO 7 nights in TR is too many, but then 7 nights in Nossob are too few!
A good split if you only have 7 nights is 2 in TR, 2 in Mata Mata and 3 in Nossob
Have fun and good luck

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I agree, but gimme 7 in 2R rather than none, even if it is frustrating if the Confluence/KijKij road is closed because of rain.

Post subject: KTP: Planning, booking, .. stuck ?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:14 pm 

Hi All,
I am new here, and had struggle to plan and book today most of my trip to KTP for august.. Late I know ! It look like a bit of a puzzle for now but we'll keep faith. We are only one couple with a 4WD with camping equipment embedded.

Have been reading most of the post here but still remains a few questions:
1. if a campsite like Nossob, MM, or Gharagab has no space left on the booking website, it is possible to still stay around ? We have some availability holes.
2. if you cross the Namibian border for a day or two, can you easily find a place to camp in the 2h-drive radius from the border ?
3. does the CK6P Camp site space can fit 2 cars in the location ? I see 6 people but nothing about the number of cars on the spot..

I will be very glad to hear from your experience, then meet some of you in August over there probably.

If, by any chance, some of you reading this are on a camping spot in MM or Nossob would share (with charge of course, if possible) on the week 12-16 Aug. that would be terrible.

Hope to see you over there,

cheers,

David

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:50 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The only places you can camp are 2 Rivieren, MM & Nossob. The rest are up market camps without camping facilities.
You could try the Bots side camping, namely 2 Rivers, Rooiputs and Polenswa, or look for cancellations.
Good luck.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:55 pm 

I understand very well, I have booked in those most of the time but for some days even the CK6P space is gone on the booking: so do I understand that we can still camp (but not expect any sort of support/connection/refill etc. ?) or it is not allowed to stay ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You have to book a camp site. If there are no camp sites available then you will not be allowed to stay in the camp. That means that if online reservations shows no availability that you can't stay in the camp. As someone already mentioned you can try the camp sites on the Botswana side of the park. You need a 4x4 to get to those camp sites though, and you need to be self supporting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:51 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

You will not be able to camp if you do not have a campsite booked.
Have you tried Rooiputs? It is near TR but it is on the Botswana side . You will need a 4 x 4 to get there and you have to be self-sufficient. I am not sure if here is any accommodation close to Mata Mata ( outside the park )...maybe somebody else can help out here ???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:50 am 

Hi All,
thanks for your precision, that's clearer now.
the point is that I have book for Day-1 and day+1 in Nossob but for one day (apparently..!) there are missing a slot, which is a pain because it is not very realistic to go down to TR one day and up again..
With the cancellation policy (no refund) it's hard to see late cancellation, as people do not get some of their money back anyway: maybe it would be a good idea to allow some refund to encourage cancellation ?

So, is it possible to share a CK6P slot with 2 cars ? (as they fit "6" people on the description?). Anyone around mid-august in Nossob?

Thanks !

Post subject: Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park with a MOTORHOME
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:57 am 

Hi,
We have hired a motorhome in November 08 and need to go to a Malaria free safari destination. Has anyone camped in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park?

Any advice would be useful

Thanks in advance

Amy

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park with a MOTORHOME
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 am 

Hello amy, we regularly camp in the KTP.

The 3 main camps, Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob all have camping sites with power points and good ablution facilities. All 3 have shops where you can buy basic food and drink. TR has the best shop. Shops do take credit cards, but suggest you make sure you have cash available for paying for fuel - there is an ATM at TR.

Would however suggest stocking up on most foodstuffs at Upington which has all the large supermarkets. Then you can just refill in the park. Cold drinks available in all 3 camp shops.

Make sure your camper has a BLUE adapter plug for connecting to the power supply. Can be bought at TR as well.

Enjoy the trip
Days will be hot - make sure camper's aircon works.

If you have any other questions - please ask. There are a lot of very experienced KTP campers on this forum who will gladly help.

P.S. Make sure you have good insect repellent for the evenings to keep the insects at bay.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park with a MOTORHOME
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:03 am 

thankyou very much for the reply - its so helpful to know little things like supermarkets at Upington!!!

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next