SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Namibian Border Crossing
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:44 pm 

thanks Dotty and Batsman.

Agrinyo, you can check the distances and times in the park at:
maps

I have read that from Mariental to Mata Mata is around 300 km and 3:30 hours. From Mata Mata to Nossob you do not need to go to Twee Rivieren, just go upto Kamqua, from there to Dikbaardskolk and up to Nossob. I read that this way takes around 4:30 hours. I think that you cannot go from Mata Mata to Nossob driving through Bitterpan but you can from Nossob to Mata Mata.

On the other hand I tried to get Nossob campsite on august and it is impossible. On july is available now just 21 and 22. You can check availability at:
availability

I hope it helps.

does anybody knows if it is easy to get a site at Nossob on august because of last minute cancellations?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You cannot go thru Bitterpan at all unless you are spending a night there -- the road is residents only
Just remember that the times quoted on the maps are very optimistic -- it usually takes a lot longer -- espcially if you have good sightings along the way :

Just check for cancellations every morning -- you may be lucky.
And enjoy yoyr trip

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:30 pm 

I tried to find the answers to the following questions but couldn't find them, will appreciate if someone can answer them for me:

1) What type of food can one NOT take through the Mata-Mata border post?
2) Has anybody recently used their credit card (since 1/07/09 when the rules changed) to pay for fuel in KTP / Namibia?
3) Can one pay for Mata-Mata border fees/taxes by credit card?
4) What type of meat is sold at Nossob/Mata-Mata? Will there be enough available to buy in August when the park/camps are full to capacity? Just asking because we don't have a lot of cooling/freezing space available while visiting KTP/Namibia.
5) Are there decent shops in Mariental to buy fresh food / meat / fruit&veg?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:48 pm 

Like Kalso above I wouls also like to know the following:
1) If going from SA to namibia at Vioolsdrif, and then namibia into Mata Mata what are the restrictions on food? We do all our shopping in Cape Town and take it all in with us and want to know if we can do this on the Namibian Route.
2) Specifically we would want to know about meat products. We can buy the meat in Keetmanshoop, but can we take it through Nambia/RSA at Mata Mata?
3) If we have a roof trailer will that attract duty
4) What docs do we need for the vehicle
Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have used my garage card in KTP at 2R and Nossob before. The use of cards depends whether they can connect to the banking service. Even though the system changed in SA to use credit cards I still find that some facilities refuse to accept credit cards. Namibia accepts garage cards. Botswana accepts credit cards but not garage cards.

Meat from Namibia to SA. Maximum allowed is 20kg without a permit. Northern Namibia and Botswana do not allow any meat over borders due to food and mouth disease.

Keetmanshoop and Mariental have decent shops selling fresh produce and meat. Grunau (at the old Hotel) sells cheap and good quality meat.

All vehicles including trailers attract a special road tax in Namibia. Car plus trailer is N$250 if I remember correctly. Botswana is about P140.

Never paid for custom fees with credit cards. I have no idea whether they accept cards and always take along cash for these transactions. Would be a bummer when they refuse cards and the nearest ATM is a few hundred kms away. There is no ATM at Mata Mata, Vioolsdrift(?) and MCarthys Rest. 2R does have an ATM. All customs require a registration certificate of all vehicles (trailers included) and a border letter from the bank if the vehicle is still under HP where the registration is held by the bank. They almost never ask for these documents but rather get the documents.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:55 am 

Hi all,

despite having read through this entire thread, I still require one bit of certainty. We're off to KTP soon and will be spending around 2 weeks in the park - entry at TR and then over a week in Mabua, before finally exiting at Mata Mata.

Considering that there will be a 2 week delay between border formalities at TR (ie exiting RSA) and entering Namibia at Mata Mata, would this be a problem? Is there any limit to the time between checkout and immigration procedures on the Namibian side? Or must anything in particular be mentioned to SA immigration/customs at TR?

Advice much appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you pass through TR then it may be best to ask the customs people this directly. My common sense and previous experience (only 4 days before exit - not 2 weeks though) tells me that they should not have a problem with it.

If you however, on returning from Mabua pass close? to TR on the way to Mata Mata I will then detour to TR and do the customs procedures.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 am 

Thanks afri-explore!

After Mabua we have a night back at Nossob and then KTC, so will use the dune road and definitely would want to avoid the trip back to TR (in fact, it would then rule out our Namibian detour).

Anyone else who's been in a similar situation?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:41 am 

As we are coming into the Park through Mata Mata, and it will be a Sunday - can anyone tell me if there is any shopping available in Keetmanshoop on a sunday morning? Otherwise it's tins for us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Another question that has kind of been asked before, but quite a long time ago:

What time does the gate CLOSE for entry from Namibia at Mata Mata -- 16:00 or 19:00? I read that the border posts officials are only on duty from 8 till 4 pm...?

I plan to enter Namibia at Vioolsdrif very early in the morning, then travel up to Mata Mata to spend 3 nights there.
IF I arrive AFTER 16:00 at Mata Mata, will I be allowed to enter the park? (Gates close about 19:00 hours in March?) Since I sleep 3 nights at Mata Mata, I could always get my passport stamped the following morning after 8:00, and still have 2 nights before exiting at Twee Rivieren...
Please give advice, since I don't feel like sitting at a border post from 4:10 pm till 8 am the following morning with a minibus full of school kids!

God bless

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Friedrich,

From Noordoewer to Mata Mata over Keetmanshoop and Koës is about 510km. Up to Keetmanshoop is a good asphalt road. The gravel roads from there is normally in good condition as they regularly grade the roads. That means that you should easily make it to Mata Mata before 4pm and even have time to stop for photos at the Giants playground.

My worst experience was taking 10 minutes on the SA side at Vioolsdrift and 3 hours on the Namibian side at Noordoewer because of bus loads of river rafters during the school holidays.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Afri-explore,

Thanks for the good advice! I also decided to phone Twee Rivieren early this morning -- they could not say 100% yes or no, but did indicate that entry at Mata Mata after 4 pm was most unlikely... which means I'll have to skip the swim at Ai-Ais, and maybe try a hot swim at Riemvasmaak near Augrabies on the way back, if it is not too out of the way!
Only other question on my mind is whether Namibia is on Daylight Time Saving in March, or only from April 1?

Thanks, and God bless!

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Friedrich,

I cannot comment on the daylight savings in Namibia.
Remvasmaak has two small splash pools, one is warm. There is also a shortcut route between Riemvasmaak and Augrabies that is not indicated on most maps that cuts the driving time drastically.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Afri-explore

Thanks for the good advice. Do you mean there is a shorter route to Augrabies, that somehow skips Kakamas? How do you get across the Gariep river?

Looks like Riemvasmaak will be the answer -- their chalets are also not too expensive -- R375 for 4 persons.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:43 pm 

Hey,

my travel guide says that you have to be booked in in Mata Mata rest camp to cross the border to Namibia. Is this true?
As the campsites in Mata Mata are already booked for the night I want to stay there, I would like to stay in Kalahari Tent Camp!

Thanks for every answer!
Annika

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next