Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mokala NP - 3 day visit
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm 

Willem
Many thanks for your post.
I enjoyed reading the trip reports and looking at the photographs.
I like your style of report, easy to read, chatty and well contructed.
We are very much looking forward to visiting the park, chilling out and enjoying the small things that the park has to offer.
We will also look to spend a bit of time outside of the park during our stay. The 'Big Hole' in Kimberly being one place to visit.
Mokala will be our last stay before heading back to Johannesburg Airport to return to the UK after a month in South Africa.
I also own Nikon equipment, D3, D200 and D7000 plus a good range of lenses, 70-200 F2.8, 400 F2.8 and the Sigma 150-500. Lots of equipment, lots of enthusiasm but not a lot of talent, training or experience!!
It would be nice to be able to afford the 600mm lens, however I couldn't justify the cost against the amount of use it would get, unless I win a major lotto prize!! Mind you i'm not sure I could handle a lens that size apart from on a substantial tripod!!
I have put some of my photographs on Flickr (I am John Walton51) if you wish to take a look.
Kind regards
JDW

Post subject: Re: Mokala NP: advice, etc
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:18 pm 

JDW you are so going to love Mokala.
We always try to have a few days there whenever we go to SA, and will be back in the park again this October.
Take a flask and bino's to stofdam and just let the time slip by. Magic.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:03 pm 

Had my first visit to this park. Notwithstanding a gale force wind on arrival all I can say is what a little gem this park is. I did not see any road in this park that a standard caravan could not handle. the Southern entrance road was good and was being graded when we departed.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Booked Next trip to SanParks
Thank you for the update. :thumbs_up: It's always useful to have the latest on roads. Getting really excited about our visit. Have heard it's a little gem.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

GregM-W wrote:
Had my first visit to this park. Notwithstanding a gale force wind on arrival all I can say is what a little gem this park is. I did not see any road in this park that a standard caravan could not handle. the Southern entrance road was good and was being graded when we departed.

Was that after 2nd September . We stayed there on evening of 1st , and the road between the gate and N1 had sections quite heavily corrugated :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:47 pm 

It was being graded on the morning of 14 August when we departed for Karoo NP. But to be honest on arrival at the Park on 11 August that road (South entrance) was not bad at all. On a a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the old road to Tweerivieren) it was at most a 3 in some patches.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mokala – what a little treasure

This year we visited Mokala for the first time. We were tempted because it is a new park, not on everyone’s bucket list, and just liked the description of it. We certainly were not disappointed. :thumbs_up:

Although it is quite a small park, it had lots of pleasant surprises in store for us. It’s known as a place for encouraging some endangered species as well for the wonderful bird life. You will read about all of those in our TR (when I get round to it! I will add a link here ..) It's not a place for those seeking big predators.

We stayed at Mosu Lodge which has a very busy waterhole in sight of the chalets and restaurant. The accommodation was of a very high standard. Normally we do self-catering, but decided to use the restaurant on a couple of occasions. The food really was superb and, even better, still locally sourced. All the staff in the camp were very friendly and helpful.

Our only disappointment with Mokala is Lilydale camp. This overlooks the Riet river, which is not within the park boundaries, so there are no animals coming down to the river to drink other than farm cattle. If you fish then this IS the camp for you.

Unless you have a good 4x4 with low gear don’t attempt to go down to the river via the fishing roads. You may find it difficult to get back up :o

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Definitely on my list. I want to plan it into a trip to Augrabies and KTP. From what I can see there are two gates. One at Lilydale and then a main gate south of Mosu Lodge. So I would be thinking of entering at Lilydale, staying three nights at Mosu Lodge or Haak en Steek and leaving from the southern gate. Does that sound like I'm on the right track?

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Moobox,

That's the best way to enter the park from Kimberley. The road however to Mosu Lodge can be closed in case of severe rain in the area, but most of the time not that difficult to reach Mosu Lodge. My travel vehicle is a 4x4 and therefore not restricted to road conditions. Although you do not need a 4x4 its always the best option for bumpy roads.

umtali 1 raised a valid point about driving down to go fishing near Lilydale. We went down in a 4x4 and had the unfortunate luck of finding a vehicle traveling down while we battled the up hill that is fairly steep and impossible to make in an sedan vehicle.

Promotional articles about activities in the park refers to canoeing. This activity is not available any more. Maybe got to do with the road down to the river and keeping the canoes intact.

We also exit at the Lilydale gate after our stay at Motswedi campsite. If you enjoy camping book at the camp site instead of Haak en Steek. In April the Haak and Steek camp was closed for maintenance work, but might be opened by now.

Remember no fuel available, so fill up at Ritchie unless you want to travel to Ritchie / Kimberley during your stay to get fuel. On return back home via Bloemfontein we had the bad luck of no fuel available at Jacobsdal. Luckily for 2 jerry cans available we could drive further to Bloem.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It's also worth remembering that supplies are very limited so always go well equipped with everything. We stocked up in Kimberley. Someone mentioned that the water was not drinkable. We found no issues there at all. Perhaps that's more of an issue when camping.......

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Moobox

I am a frequent visitor to Mokala (because it is so close to Bloemfontein and it can be a photographer's paradise depending on the conditions). I've posted a few trip reports here on the forum as well as on my blog - if you are interested: http://willemkruger.wordpress.com/tag/mokala/

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks folks and Willem, nice pics and reports. Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm thinking of spending a few nights at Mokala in a couple of months time....probably the Lilydale Rest camp.
I wanted to know what the situation was with regard to game drives....specifically night drives.
Any advice would be most welcome.

Also how is the game in the Lilydale section? Have the animals moved north since the fences came down?

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:40 pm 

Astromatt

I would recommend that you rather stay at Mosu, if you are not camping, the area has much more animals Matopi Loop , Tsessebe Loop and Stofdam all are good for animals like buffalo rhino roan hartbees sebra etc. Lilydale was definitely more quite animal wise.If you can camp Motswedi lies right in the action.

There are very productive night rides from Mosu.

Have a look at MOKALA and MOKALA SPRING on my site www.wildeboer.co.za ( I do not know how to post pics to the forum) the few pictures will give you an idea what to expect.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Astromatt, I would agree. We drove over to Lilydale and did not see a lot of game on the way. The black wildebeeste were in the open plains area. We saw a lot more in the areas that Hollebollegys mentioned. :thumbs_up: There are more picnic areas in this region as well. Camp sites if you want to camp. Mosu lodge was really good. Happy decision making. :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next