Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Winter - Braai at night or during the day?
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi LauraC and welcome to the Forum - hope you get lots of good advice - this sure is the place to ask :thumbs_up:

My 2c worth - braai at night ! Yes its going to be cold in early June but especially if you are staying in chalets, tented camps etc you can pop into a hot shower and straight into bed as soon as the braai is done :D

My feeling is that your time in the park is pretty short anyway in winter ( gates open 7.30 - 6pm ) that its a waste to use precious hours in the day braaiing .... we have camped twice in mid winter and braaied every time .... to stand outside with a mug of hot coffee spiked with Amarula next to a lovely fire is the best way to end a stunning winters day .... By the time you have braaied and cleaned up its bedtime anyway .... but maybe try a few of both, but definately dont discount a night time braai ( or 10 ) :lol: :lol:

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:40 pm 

I live in Pretoria....and no ways would I braai at night in winter.....but I don't have to....BUT am liking your idea of the Amarula coffee and the hot shower after freezing outside :D It seems so many sightings are at the waterholes at night.....even in winter?...or do the predators also do their thing a bit earlier. Thanks for the advice...much appreciated

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 pm 

Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:
Well now I grew up in the North close to the kruger that side and we braaied day and night as long as you have a jacket on your fine but if your down south well in the day it is warm and lovely but the nights are a little bit harsher down south than north so I wouldnt braai hope that helps a bit :)

Thank you

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think the cats would hunt when its colder as they cant stand the heat so Id say early mornings and afternoons from about 4 when the temperature starts dropping

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 pm 

Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:
I think the cats would hunt when its colder as they cant stand the heat so Id say early mornings and afternoons from about 4 when the temperature starts dropping

I believe the temps in kgalagadi in winter drop to 0 to -5C which is very cold, that's why I wondered if their activity patterns would change a bit at night?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:29 am 

Hi Laura C.
My advice would be not to make hard and fast rules.
Play it by ear dependant on the camp you are staying at.

At Nossob you may want to try a braai at midday and then spend the evening in the hide.
Just dress warmly and take the Amarula.
At Twee Rivieren there is not much to see at night,unless you do a night drive and then you are going to need your thermals,I would suggest you spend as much time out of camp as possible during the day.
Camps like Urikaruus and Grootkolk where you overlook the waterhole lend themselves to spending time in camp.You never know what will appear.

The time you have to be in camp 7.30am to 6pm,pointed out by Scouter makes for a long night and your driving around game viewing time is curtailed.

Don't get that hung up on the food.
There are plenty of other days in the year to eat.
Enjoy your trip. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:44 am 

Hi Laura C. We went to KTP quite a few times and I can recommend the following: Make a braai during the day at each of the picnic spots. A different spot every day. Take your time, get your heart peaceful and don't worry. When you get to the camp and you are hungry, make a fire and braai. If it gets cold, put on something warm. If it gets too cold, take your meat inside and finish the job there, but remember, don't worry. You are safe and VERY lucky to be there. Only pity is that you are not camping. :mrgreen:

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 am 

we usually go in June or July and we always have a fire on before it is dark
and yes it can be cold, but if you are staying in the wilderness camps it is not warmer inside, just less cold
the coldest time of the night is early morning just before sun rise and anyway it is early to bed and early rise!

At Grootkolk we are always lured outside before sun rise by lions and once it was -13.0! Beanie, gloves, blankets and now with the nice fleece stuff, mug of tea it felt like 'home' only a cold nose but hey who cares if you see lions in action.

so yes you can braai at night, have a fire in the morning or a braai for lunch at one of the pick nick spots (if there are no other occupants waiting for a lekker braai)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:51 am 

You guys are fantastic!! :clap: :thumbs_up: Thank you all very much for the input and suggestions. Some excellent points as well about the night being long if we have nothing much to do (going to catch up on reading big time) and also doing different things at different camps....stopping at the picnic sites, etc. We're only at TR for 1 night on entry...but never thought of doing a night drive. Good idea! Shall stop being babies about the cold at night :lol: get ourselves out there. It will be character building. We're taking friends of ours from the UK.....who despite the fact that they come from a cold climate...are not really prepared for it as everything is heated to 30 C there. Going to be soooo good for the soul.

Anymore ideas.....keep them coming please. We stay in this order:- 1 night Twee Rivieren, 5 nights Urikaruus, 3 nights Nossob, 1 night KTC, 1 night Mata Mata River chalets and 1 night Kielie Krankie.....the 1 nighters, apart from TR, were all I could get

Last edited by LauraC on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:04 pm 

Jonkers wrote:
we usually go in June or July and we always have a fire on before it is dark
and yes it can be cold, but if you are staying in the wilderness camps it is not warmer inside, just less cold
the coldest time of the night is early morning just before sun rise and anyway it is early to bed and early rise!

At Grootkolk we are always lured outside before sun rise by lions and once it was -13.0! Beanie, gloves, blankets and now with the nice fleece stuff, mug of tea it felt like 'home' only a cold nose but hey who cares if you see lions in action.

so yes you can braai at night, have a fire in the morning or a braai for lunch at one of the pick nick spots (if there are no other occupants waiting for a lekker braai)

OUCH -13C!!!!! But you're right....who cares if there's action. Starting the fire before dark a great idea. Thank you!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:07 pm 

pietert wrote:
Hi Laura C. We went to KTP quite a few times and I can recommend the following: Make a braai during the day at each of the picnic spots. A different spot every day. Take your time, get your heart peaceful and don't worry. When you get to the camp and you are hungry, make a fire and braai. If it gets cold, put on something warm. If it gets too cold, take your meat inside and finish the job there, but remember, don't worry. You are safe and VERY lucky to be there. Only pity is that you are not camping. :mrgreen:

Enjoy

Thank you, very good advice all around. Very lucky to be going and very grateful

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:11 pm 

enrico wrote:
Hi Laura C.
My advice would be not to make hard and fast rules.
Play it by ear dependant on the camp you are staying at.

At Nossob you may want to try a braai at midday and then spend the evening in the hide.
Just dress warmly and take the Amarula.
At Twee Rivieren there is not much to see at night,unless you do a night drive and then you are going to need your thermals,I would suggest you spend as much time out of camp as possible during the day.
Camps like Urikaruus and Grootkolk where you overlook the waterhole lend themselves to spending time in camp.You never know what will appear.

The time you have to be in camp 7.30am to 6pm,pointed out by Scouter makes for a long night and your driving around game viewing time is curtailed.

Don't get that hung up on the food.
There are plenty of other days in the year to eat.
Enjoy your trip. :mrgreen:

Brilliant advice all round. Thanks very much for additional ideas!! Shall chill about the food :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:47 am 

Urikaruus! that can be very cold
Two years ago the camp attendant told us when we checked in that all the pipes froze that night and during the day repairs would take place. The only thing was that running out of spare parts to replace some pipes there had to be made a choice : water in kitchen or bathroom, my advise take the second, a warm shower does wonders in winter
And still we come back, if we can get our hands on Urikaruus, every year

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7