SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Posting photos - How to
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:02 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Posting photos

There are plenty websites that will allow you to upload photos, but not all allow you to post those photos directly into a post here, or come with pop-ups, advertising etc.
Most of the people here use either Tinypic or Flickr, so a tutorial is handy. This one will be aimed at Tinypic, which is the handiest site to use for just a few pics, or webcam posts. People who want to write a tripreport are probably better off using Flickr, you can find the tutorial for that here.

Tinypic

You can find Tinypic here. Now you can go straight into uploading your photos, but after 3 months they'll be gone again! So rather create an account. Have a look at where you'll be:
(Your screen may show it a little wilder, with adds, but I always switch that off.)

In the upper right corner it says Join now!, hit the button. You get a page asking mail, password etc. Fill in a real email address, you get a confirmation mail if I remember correctly! (And get no spam from the site, so no problem.)
Note that you see Albums (6) in the top of this screenshot. Working with albums is easier, so create some. In the next screenshot you can see a "Create new album... ยป" link above my other albums, that's the one to create one, but the dropout menu next to "Upload to" lets you either upload to an album directly, or create a new album while uploading. Whichever you like best. ;)
You can also see that I let one dropdown menu open. It offers you resizing options, but you are better off resizing first, as you know for sure then that the aspect ratio will be correct. The easiest way to do that is explained here.
Remember that 800 pixels on the longest side is the maximum here!
Now after you have resized your photos just hit the browse button, browse to where the photo is located, and click the Open button in the window.
Check that you are putting it in the proper album, and hit the Upload button. Your screen changes to
so you wait a bit, and it's replaced by something like this:
Well, that worked, it's uploaded!
Now all you need to do is go to the forums, reply or create a new topic, and paste the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" into the post. (In the screenshot it's the black line.)

And that's all there is to it. ;)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Posting photos - How to
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:07 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Just a little request....

There are quite a few websites which will allow you to upload your photos so you can post them here.
While your choice is of course free, kindly take a good look at the size of the site, and the likelihood it will not be sold. We have had a few instances where people posted, it showed here, and then the site was sold.
And the new owners are extremely 'friendly', and send viruses and other malware instead of the requested photo when you visit the page where the photo was located.

Some of the newer browsers, like Firefox will give you a warning like this one:
Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
If that happens on this site kindly copy the URL (or the name of the topic) into a PM to one of the moderators.

Hosting your photos at sites like Flickr, Tinypic, Zenfolio, Photobucket and the likes should be safe, a little site might not be...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c