Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:57 am 

Me wrote:
The software I purchased from the link GP gave is really good.

This is the Sasol eBirds that I referred to which is a really good pda programme and runs without any hitches and is very user friendly. I sent them a sd card and within a week it was returned to me with the software loaded on it and for this I paid R313.50.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would expect most people to have a satisfactory experience with any business, but my experience was, admittedly, made worse by the distance involved.

It's a long story, so I won't go into detail, but sitting around an industrial park for several hours on my holiday waiting for someone to turn up to a pre-arranged and agreed appointment, with no apology for inconvenience caused, was sufficient to get my back up enough to criticise this company publically (which is something I would not normally do).

DB: Just dug out the receipt and was charged R876.32 for eBirds on a 128mb SD card. Card was sent by FedEX, which cost a further R250. Also paid R275 for the program we didn't want and eTrax still doesn't work. R1597.50 is, therefore, quite a lot to spend on birding software!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:04 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I saw a SASOL eBirds in our local Incredible connections store once. On subsequent visits it was not there anymore only the Roberts software.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I believe that the software can be purchased from a number of different places, but as the program was written by PDA Solutions, all technical queries will ultimately have to go through them.

I should reiterate, my problem was not with eBirds: it is a fantastic piece of software and works perfectly with my PDA. The problem was with eTrax, which would not work with my GPS (it would show the GPS was switched on, but would not show the co-ordinates when logging whatever you were tracking - without this, the software is useless because logging co-ordinates is the whole point of the software!). I emailed and phoned and was promised answers, but none were forthcoming. They didn't phone me back (fair do's - it would have been an international call and potentially very expensive, so that didn't bother me too much) and were not responding to emails I sent them. Time was getting short so I was emailing them every 2 days trying to prompt a response. They finally said they had no idea what the problem was and asked if I could visit them in Craighall Park, Joburg. I said I could only on the coming Saturday (the day we arrived in SA) as all our holiday was being spent up north. There was some to-ing and fro-ing over times as their offices were not normally open on a Saturday, but they assured me that someone would be there up until 12. We arrived at their offices at 10.45, fresh off our flight, and waited until nearly 2. Nobody answered at the door or on the phone. Eventually someone who works in another business in the same building came to the door and said that they had been there but left at 10am! He tried various numbers to get hold of someone with no luck. He took our SA mobile number and said he would pass it onto them on Monday. Nobody called.

Post subject: PDA Software
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:13 am 
Have any of you seen this!
PDA software

It seems that this software can be used on any mobile that has Windows Mobile operating system. My SO says phones on the SA market that has this, includes I-Mate and HP Ipaq (unfortunately comes with a hefty price tag :cry: ).
This is truly amazing. Here are some extracts from their website:

Quote:
The Sasol e.Birds of Southern Africa electronic field guide is a mobile version of the best-selling Sasol Birds of Southern Africa field guide. It is an ideal companion to the book and has electronic features which will add to your enjoyment of birding.

Features:
User friendly interface; Large self explanatory buttons quickly take you through the 2 - 3 step searches.
Pictures of all 950 bird species found in Southern Africa.
Distribution maps and text.
Over 680 sounds recently upgraded
Logging facility; To keep a personal record of birds spotted.
Search family lists in English or Afrikaans
Complete Old/New Names Comparison
Receive program updates free of charge

Quote:
After the huge success of the Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa electronic field guide, we are proud to announce the release of the eWildlife of Southern Africa. The Pocket PC version of the popular Wildlife of Southern Africa field guide features the same ease-of-use as well as quick visual searches when looking for plants.

Wildlife field guide features:
Categories: Lower invertebrates, Insects, Spiders and other arachnids, Freshwater fishes, Frogs, Reptiles, Birds, Mammals, Grasses, Sedges, Ferns, Fungi, Trees and Wild flowers.
Fast, user-friendly interface: quickly sort through invertebrates, animals and plants.
Information on over 2000 species with more than 1600 images.
Quick "Easy ID" feature to search the plants.
Species lists in common or scientific names.
Receive program updates free of charge.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:40 am 

Just received this new software notification. All looks good.

Dynamic Pocket Solutions.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Sasol e-birds for PDA
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:35 pm 

you can also get it in England
Software on 128Mb SD Card £79.95 UK & EU
Non EU £68.00

http://www.wildsounds.co.uk/

go to search and type ebirds
and click on eBirds: Birds of Southern Africa for Pocket PC v2

take care

Last edited by Ton & Herma on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My question is whether the PDA software works on all PDAs? I gather that there are differences between the Palm and the HP PDAs in terms of OS and what software they can run?

I am looking to buy a Palm Treo with combines a PDA and a cell phone and seems a preactical solution for my needs. I would be interested in some of the software packages if they can be run on a Palm PDA.

So far I haven't been able to figure this out for myself, probably because I still know very little about PDAs :redface: :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
PDA ..... I really think that this is the way to go and that these will become more and more popular. Logging bird sightings is a piece of cake.

I was seriously thinking about buying a PDA, but with the advances in cellphones, (bigger screens and taking 512mb multi media cards), I think PDA's will be overtaken by cellphones pretty soon. j-ms has already loaded our bird calls on his cell, which is what we wanted from the PDA.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can you use GPS software on mobile phone's yet? This is one of my favorite uses of my PDA.

I don't think I'd like to have everything on a mobile. I'd worry too much about being mugged whilst using it for a telephone call, or leaving it somewhere! At least with a PDA, you can keep it hidden when you're not using it, and you can back everything up from your phone just in case it does get stolen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just get the feeling that Symbian OS on mobile phones has gained such a footprint so quickly and is attracting such a large pool of developers (especially Java developers) that Palm OS is going to lose out.

Youngsters have become used to the two thumbs keyboards of mobile phone that any advantages that the stylus approach that Palm uses has been lost. In fact, we have a friend who desperately wants a mobile phone type keyboard for his PC because it is more natural for him than a QWERTY keyboard.

Post subject: Briza Photographic Guide to Trees of Southern Africa for PDA
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This software is the latest offering from Dynamic Pocket Solutions, the company which recently released the SANParks Kruger National Park software reviewed by myself and DinkyBird on this forum.

Like the SANParks software, this guide is multifunctional and enables the user to ID trees using a number of criteria, as well as to log sightings using GPS and find out more about uses of the tree and its various components. The guide covers 300 trees (as per the Briza book), so is not comprehensive, however provides a wealth of useful information in a very handy package.

The format of the guide will be familiar to anyone who has used the animal guide in the SANParks software. From the main menu, selecting “Reference Guideâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:39 pm 

We received the sasol e-bird software yesterday
and it's looks very nice
the pic's are nice and also the sounds is great
and its works very easy 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It's also nice to be able to export your sightings log to your pc as a permanent record.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I just bought version 2 of the Roberts PDA software. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but it looks great. There is a feature to assist with identification that seems useful - once I've figured out exactly how to use it. I'll post a review once I've used it more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next