Skip to Content

Cape Parks

See what other forumites recommend you should read

Moderator: hilda

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:25 pm

DQ, while we're making / adding to lists of books (and I can't reply to your locked list :wink:), one which I find invaluable is

Wild About Cape Town
all-in-one guide to common animals and plants
of the pennisula, Table Mountain, seashore and gardens

by Duncan Butchart
ISBN 1 86812 597 1 1st edition 1996
Southern Book Publishers (Pty) Ltd

Now that most of the Cape Pennisula is included as part of TMNP, this slim volume becomes very much a sort-of park guide. Have no idea whether it is still in print, but it covers the basics, and I carry it with me everywhere when I am in the Cape. It includes sections on mammals, birds, reptiles, frogs, freshwater fishes, marine fishes, marine invertebrates, land and freshwater invertebrates, butterflies and moths, trees and woody shrubs, ericas, soft-stemmed plants, restios, and seaweeds, plus sections on geology, various types of habitat, fynbos, and climate. If it is no longer in print, it would be a great little book to re-issue. I have found it to be immensely useful.

Edit: Did a bit of research and discovered that this book has been re-issuedwith a slightly different title:

Wildlife of the Cape Peninsula
Common Animals and Plants
by: Duncan Butchart
Paperback - 126 pages (13 June 2001) Struik Publishers (Pty) Ltd
EAN: 9781868726417
Synopsis
A compact guide to the mammals birds reptiles frogs fishes insects trees and grasses of the Cape peninsula. Each of more 300 species entries is accompanied by a full colour photograph.

I can really recommend this little book very highly. I have found it to be invaluable, especially for a neophyte or an infrequent visitor. It's a great way to learn about the amazing variety of fauna and especially flora of the Cape — a great introduction.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

Return to “Bookshelf”