Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gus Mills Guide to KTP
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Dreamer, I have printed a confirmation of my order
there is no ISBN on this confirmation... but my name/address and # of subscriber code
the price, the name of the book

I've send an E-mail to ask what the matter... why I have not received anything till now :hmz:

is not your fault Elmar :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think if you inform the bank that issued the credit card that this has happened, they are supposed to give you a refund. You have to be persistent though!

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I will wait 2-3 days for a reply... a maybe reply

and try to contest the debit... but I'm a bit late... more than 2 months :?
thank you Kite :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:45 am 

The ISBN is 978-0-620-53299-0. The publisher was Black Eagle Media (Pty) Ltd under Africa Geographic Books.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:40 pm 

The publisher, Black Eagle Media, was declared bankrupt on 31 October. But the bad boys here are http://www.magsathome.co.za (part of Ramsay Media, which publish Getaway, Car magazine, Popular Mechanics and Leisure Wheels). They have taken money from people and are not supplying the goods. They're referring complaints to their lawyers, and didn't appear to be interested when we quoted the Consumer Act to them. I appreciate that they're in trouble with their suppliers who are now in liquidation, but I contest that our contract is with them (magsathome) not Black Eagle Media, so they should make good on those orders they received up to 31 October - or, of course, issue a refund. They disagree. If anyone else has had any better luck with them I'd love to hear how they achieved it.

As an aside, I believe that the shop at Twee Rivieren has copies, but I'm sure it's selling there for a much higher price.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I bought the book at the end of November at Estoril Books, Fourways Mall, northern Johannesburg. I can't remember the price.

The full title of the book is "A Natural History Guide to the Arid Kalahari including the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park". Authors Gus and Margie Mills. The ISBN number is 978-0-620-532

So far, I have only flicked through the book, but it looks really good - with information on plants, animals, birds and other useful details relating to the area.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:05 am 

Hippotragus,

Was your book also publish by Black Eagle Media or a different publisher? I bought my book at Twee Rivieren shop in Dec that was publish by Black Eagle with the same ISBN number as the one Elmar gave. This book has the same title than the book you bought with a lovely pic of a lion between yellow flowers on the front cover.

It will be good news for those that want to get this book that another publisher took over from Black Eagle.

Agree with annie R that it is the responsibility of magsathome to refund those that did not receive their books. On their website they claim they will refund if you did not receive the goods you have ordered. It might be that they in negotiation with the new publisher to get new stock and therefor the delays to pay out refunds.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi PRWIN - yes my book has lion and yellow flowers on cover - published by Black Eagle Media.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
PRWIN wrote:
Agree with annie R that it is the responsibility of magsathome to refund those that did not receive their books. On their website they claim they will refund if you did not receive the goods you have ordered. It might be that they in negotiation with the new publisher to get new stock and therefor the delays to pay out refunds.
thank you PRWIN, I will use this sentence in a second mail to "magsathome" :thumbs_up:
at least will try :?

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

annie R wrote:
The publisher, Black Eagle Media, was declared bankrupt on 31 October. But the bad boys here are http://www.magsathome.co.za (part of Ramsay Media, which publish Getaway, Car magazine, Popular Mechanics and Leisure Wheels). They have taken money from people and are not supplying the goods. They're referring complaints to their lawyers, and didn't appear to be interested when we quoted the Consumer Act to them. I appreciate that they're in trouble with their suppliers who are now in liquidation, but I contest that our contract is with them (magsathome) not Black Eagle Media, so they should make good on those orders they received up to 31 October - or, of course, issue a refund. They disagree. If anyone else has had any better luck with them I'd love to hear how they achieved it.

As an aside, I believe that the shop at Twee Rivieren has copies, but I'm sure it's selling there for a much higher price.

Absolute frustration with Magsathome!! :evil:
Twice I contacted them and spoke to a lady by the name of Aysha. The same story as Annie received that it's out of their hands and handed over to the lawyers.
When not satisfied with her response I requested to speak to someone in another department that could be more helpful with my query and I was denied my request. I was told that the department that could help only responds to emails, that there were no telephones in that department!!! :shock: Somehow, I managed to keep my cool, never heard such a lot of nonsense before. I was told to send an email to subs@ramsaymedia.co.za. Well, when asked who I could address it to, she said "I cant give you a name, just send one and someone will attend to it!"
I feel that debating this with her again or anyone else there might just bring out the very worst in me, so think I may just try purchase one at Twee Rivieren in a few weeks time :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I sent an e-mail at the address you mention Dreamer, on the 26.12.2013
no reply till now... but it's holidays :?

will send another one in the first days of January :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:13 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
In the latest SANParks Times the book is "advertised".

In the little article they mention enquiries should be directed to enquiries@blackeaglemedia.co.za

There are two telephone numbers and then they mention that the book will be available from Black Eagle Media and bookshops nationwide.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LQ,

The publishing company is in liquidation and will not be able to supply any books. Just wonder how many books are still available at Twee-Rivieren or other bookshops. Looks like buying straight from a shop is the best option than ordering on the internet.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Son godin wrote:
LQ,

The publishing company is in liquidation and will not be able to supply any books. Just wonder how many books are still available at Twee-Rivieren or other bookshops. Looks like buying straight from a shop is the best option than ordering on the internet.
you are certainly right... but I live 10000 km away :? :cry:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

anne-marie,

The unfortunate fact is that this book is not available through Amazon or Kalahari.com and only available in shops at the moment. Not even a Kindle book is available. :wall: :wall: :wall:

If I knew I could have got you a book in Dec at TR. :(

I thought of telling you to make use of Facebook to complain, but looks like that route was closed now.