Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Bryden - A Game Ranger Remembers
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I got this book as a gift and what a wonderful book this was. The different stories and adventures of Bruce comes alive and I found myself reading until the early hours of the morning.

This is truly a must have !!!! :clap:

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Post subject: Re: Bruce Bryden - A Game Ranger Remembers
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
FAC Member (2014)
Leeukos, I am busy with it currently (rifle section) and agree it is most insightful to learn about the real life stories and the lessons learnt from the rangers view.

Can I recommend you get hold of Kobie Kruger's books - Mahlengeni first and then 'All things wild and wonderful' (refer thread on Kobie Kruger books). Bruce made reference to Kobus Kruger on a few occassions in his book who also was a ranger during the same time as Bruce in Kruger. In his introduction he mentioned that all the rangers were encouraged to write about their experiences, but not many did so.

16 days to go to my next visit and I will certainly relive Bruce's experiences when visiting Shingwedzi. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Game Ranger Remembers - Bruce Bryden
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:02 pm 

I've been reading this book as of late. It's the kindle version so sadly the pictures aren't the same as per the printed copy.

The normality of how he tells various tales makes for very interesting reading and also gives great insight on to the life of a Ranger within KNP.

Don't expect a Stephen King thriller, but it does paint a picture of life as it was for the rangers of old.

I'd recommend this book as it has put me in 'Kruger' mode and given me lots to laugh about.

Next trip is in the planning phase........