Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prime Origins Kruger National Park Map Book.
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:44 am 

This was available at the Numbi Gate at R25.00. I was advised that it would also be available at The Parks Shop at Pretoriuskop, but it wasn't and I eventually found it at Skukuza. This is an A4 softcover introductory guide to the Kruger National Park which makes a feature of a map of the cellphone coverage in the Park. It is a 36 page booklet which richly illustrated with both diagrams and photographs.

On the inside front cover is the “Kruger Directory”, telephone numbers of the gates, camps and local useful numbers. A map of how to get to the KNP along both the N1 and the N4 is the next, although by the time one reaches the Kruger gates it is a little late, with a little insert of where the KNP is located within South Africa, useful for foreign tourists.

The Animal and Habitat Map which follows indicates mainly the opinion of the author as to where one is most likely to see what animals. The habitat colouring is all fairly similar and it was difficult to match the key up with the map and I didn't consider the information worth the effort.

The Big Five, the Little Five, the Rare Five and the Magnificent Seven feature on the next page, followed by The Killer Beasts of Kruger, Browsers and Grazers, Other Animals of Kruger and Kruger's Trees. These pages are in table form with the common name, Latin name, picture, characteristics and other information. I found this interesting. Birding in Kruger follows. How much information can two pages provide? It lists Kruger's Big Six (Lappet-faced Vulture, Martial Eagle, Saddle-billed Stork, Kori Bustard, Ground Hornbill and Pel's Fishing Owl) and has photographs of some of the most common birds.

Maps and information on the various camps follow- Skukuza and South Kruger, Orpen and Satara, Olifants and Letaba, Mopani & Shingwedzi, Punda Maria & Pafuri and the Limpopo National Park. Two pages on The Kruger Calendar follow are followed by four smaller maps on cellphone coverage, rainfall, topography and geology.

Diagrams of the Kruger Camps follow and these are, again, more useful before one gets to the Park than once in.

Finally there is an Activity Guide and Distances.

Summary: This book is cheap, generally interesting but largely contains superficial information which is not particularly relevant once one is in the Park. The best pages are those with tables of information.

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015

Post subject: Re: Prime Origins Kruger National Park Map Book.
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:24 pm 

I have that one as well and do find the information it contains very useful, my only gripe being the writing on the maps is very small and with my eyes not what they used to be, it can be a challenge reading them. :wink: :lol:
But fortunately I have plenty of the other map books. :D

Post subject: Re: Prime Origins Kruger National Park Map Book.
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:18 pm 

Yes, the writing in the tables is also very small, but worth the effort.

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015