Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
That is good news. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Looking for a charity that doesn't just want my money
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:20 pm 

Hi All.

I donate money on a monthly basis to the HR anti rhino poaching fund and also try to go to KNP at least once a year. I have sent e mails requesting updates (from HR) as to what progress is being made as to poaching activities & arrests etc for the simple reason that by making it public knowledge it is easier for me to drum up more support. Unfortunately these requests have fallen on deaf ears. I am not expecting an accounting report or detailed report at all. I am merely asking that they send all donors ( or interested parties) an e mail on a monthly basis stating the contact reports with poachers, court outcomes of poachers etc & any other interesting news which could be of value in drumming up more support.

Please dont get me wrong here, I do believe that the HR's are doing a fanstastic job. It's just that I think some feedback would be most welcome.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 pm 

Hi Fuzzy

Thank you for making us aware of this problem. I don't know what happened to your e-mails, but I certainly did not receive them. Apologies for that!

We really appreciate all the support we are receiving to help fund the counter poaching activities in all our parks! Without the huge support by the public and the business community the poaching situation would have been far worse. We have been able to put critically important systems, training and equipment in place which are making a huge difference.

The SHR is a volunteer organisation. Because of this we are in the unique position to be able to do our work without taking a sent of donated money to run our administration. We are run by volunteers giving freely of their time, equipment and skills to the cause. It does bring the challenge that we are not in a position to expect of paid staff to run systems like a monthly report back. We have to depend on volunteers to do this when they can.

Having said that, it is certainly important to do this and I will ensure that we jack it up.

Can I ask you to subscribe to our newsletter here: http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/newsletter/latest

This will be the best medium to get regular updates.

You can also have a look here: http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/donations

Can I mention that one of the aspects you supported last year with your donations is almost a million rand worth of training in man tracking and counter insurgency tactics we provided to the rangers in Kruger. Thank you for that!

You are most welcome to contact me for more information.

Regards

Louis Lemmer
Deputy Chairperson SANParks Honorary Rangers

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:14 am 

Hi Louis.

Thanks so much for your reply. I totally understand that this is a volunteer organisation & admire as well as respect what you guys do. I will subscribe to the news letter.

If in future you guys do put out a mailing list of news & activities please add me on this email add: stevef@iteweb.co.za

Regards

Steve

p.s. keep up the good work,it is appreciated