Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum History - Just for fun
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 pm 

This is an awesome topic W@H! Especially seeing we are heading for the website (sanparks.org) and forum's 10th birthday!!!

So, I did a little digging here on the forums and found these gems by W@H, posted waaaay back in the day.

18/1/2005
Wild@Heart wrote:
I saw some familiar Aliases that people are using...Question, why did u choose your specific alias.

I'll start - If I don't see the wild now and then, then my heart won't be able to bear it. The wild is like the blood that flows through my heart.

PS: TwoBoy - you still setting snares??

(Who was TwoBoy :shock: )

Still your favourite W@H? link
Wild@Heart wrote:
My favourite is still Mafuyane ("The Irritable One").

Although not the biggest in Stature his tusk were one of the straightest ones. If you view it today you'll see how they scraped on the floor when he was still alive.

He also had a hole of about 10cm in his head which he actually could breath through. Depending on who you talk, the hole was either caused by a fight with another elephant while others say it was a poachers bullet.

Fortunatly he did not die from it and only passed away much later due to natural causes. The hole however did make him extremely irritable and he was not one of the happier ellies.

Funny thing about the Big 7 ellies were that most of them died in the 1980's. And most of them were injured at some time in the life by poachers :x

Now to find the pics of the drive through KFC on the S100 ... and the famous cardboard cutouts of WTM on the S100; the Duke expedition and so much more!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Great thread Wild@Heart - thanks. It is indeed fun reading about the forum history.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

TwoBoy was a ranger in another reserve I think .. he was one of the first people to join who actually did work as a ranger at the time and gave some excellent advise to all the members on signs of danger etc :) WoW! That's a flashback :) :)

Mafunyane is still my favourite :) :) :) I still miss Massunguine and Hlanghanini :cry:

@Arks .. maybe you'll remember this ...

Maybe check out this link "KNP Emerging Tuskers Competition: 2006 Winners Announced

I think is was the 2nd year this competition ran .. and you'll notice Arks won that year with myself coming in 3rd position :) So the forum already made huge impacts in 2006 already with contributions towards identifying big tuskers.

I also know that a lot of forumites made huge donations, contributions towards SANParks.
For example,

- did you know the doors at the Elephant Hall was donated by a forum member?
- did you know the Satara Web Cam was bought by funds raised by the forum?
- the forum contributed several CyberTrackers to SANParks through fund raising innitiatives? Really .. :) Check it out : Angels on an Avian Mission, Announcement: R12,010 rand raised in "Objective Duke" (for a laugh read this) as well as various other innitiatives (apologies I don't remember them all) like this one Dedicated forum members to raise funds for SANParks rangers
- Did you also know that when Duke was still alive .. on both occasions when Duke lost a tusk it was forum members who notified and helped find the tusks? 1st tusk and 2nd tusk ... ironically by the 2 of the same members (Wildtuinman and Mapoisa Mat and in the 2nd occasion Bucky) .. Hence we have asked them to please stay clear of all other big tuskers :twisted:
- It's also my believe that without the forum and the great accolades by forumites, staff like Frank Mabasa would not have been identified and recognised for their absolute STUNNING customer service and potential. Keeping Pafuri picnic spot clean his great dedication and knowledge on the birding which he so openly shared with all .. mention you were from the forum and Frank would push his customer service from 150% to 200% .. To mention what the forum contributed towards recognising and helping staff like Frank would be impossible .. but it all started with a Sasol Bird Guide and Binocs! :)
- And if you happen to visit "My Acre of Africa" you will find PLENTY forumites there ... PLENTY :)

And of course .. let's not forget the Cricket Weekends .. especially the one where there was a heat wave and plenty of cramps and sore boddies the following day :)

And this is only a few things I remember while still active on the forum .. I fear to try and read ALL the most valuable contributions this forum has made .. and the VHR :) A baby I saw born at the end of my "life" on the forum .. so dedicatedly grown to excellent heights and achievements by many a member (especially Tannie D) :)

I bow down to the forumites and to SANParks who so passionately stood by and scolded her forum and forumites with a "Swiss Flag" showing her neutrality :wink: I am still searching to find a better boss :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:38 am 

PS: There is also an Forum Academy :) Only 1 course offered at this stage thou :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:03 am 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
W@H I doubt if you ever will find a better "boss" than the one you mention.

Love reading all the old tales, it brings back such great memories

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:42 am 

Jazil wrote:
W@H I doubt if you ever will find a better "boss" than the one you mention.

Ahh OJ :) Such true and wise words :wink: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

No more history Wild@Heart? I was really enjoying your posts. I must scratch around and see if I can find anything.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:12 pm 

Please scratch around, Hawk 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great thread - most interesting info.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:02 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks for reminding us of a proud history Wild@Heart. :gflower:

And to think it all started with this.

went to this

and then this...

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wild@Heart wrote:
TwoBoy was a ranger in another reserve I think .. he was one of the first people to join who actually did work as a ranger at the time and gave some excellent advise to all the members on signs of danger etc :) WoW! That's a flashback :) :)

He wasn't a ranger but had vast experience in some very remote parts of Africa doing survey work. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:04 pm 

Many, many moons ago, my SO wrote a post on a topic entitled something to the effect: 'Support group for forum SO's'. It was in the days before we could all connect to internet and report directly from the parks to the forums. Messages were sent via SMS to a forum buddy to post ... and they would come in all hours of the day, or night.

Sorting through old disk drives I found the original script where it was written in Notepad:

Hawk wrote:
Help! Anyone else out there whose wife has undergone mysterious personality changes recently? It seems to be related to our more frequent visits to the Kruger Park, but then the notebook pc and cellphone also appear to have an influence. I've always thought that malaria was the only health risk associated with our Kruger visits, but I think we face a new, more sinister threat. This is not a physical condition, it's more mental. Could some insidious computer virus invade a human mind, take over and enslave it's host, driving it furiously with an unrelenting passion for a small part of the African continent, to the exclusion of all else.

We must be alert to this danger. The behavioral changes are frightening. A force of some sort appears to emit from the notebook screen inducing a trance like state. Hearing diminishes almost completely and there is a complete loss of interest in earthly duties such as shopping, or providing meals for a hungry husband. Glazed distant expressions are alternated with wicked grins, evil chuckles and odd outbursts of hilarious laughter.

There seems to be a strange language involved here as well, ROFL, IMHO, LOL, LIT, LOG amongst others. And then there there are the “smileys” They must be the equivalent of the “orks” although much better looking. These little creatures may appear harmless, but I suspect there's more to them than meets the eye. They seem to communicate through a sort of sign language, and with prolonged contact could implant dangerous subliminal messages on the female brain.

This odd behaviour is not limited to waking hours. Strange nocturnal messages pass between the members. A four am sms to report that “Pink Elephant” has just passed Witbank or “White Rat” is “at the gate” brings a relieved sigh and temporary normality, but soon the fever returns, with strange babblings of “going home”, “I have to go again”, “I'm counting sleeps” etc.

What do I do, fight or succumb? I fear I am losing; this force is too strong for me. Help ........

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol: this gave me a good laugh :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 pm 

Think many of our SO's can relate to that D!
Excellent! :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next