Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wildlife charities
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:01 pm 

Mods if this isn't allowed I'm very sorry but I can't think of a better group of people to ask......

I'm planning on walking Hadrians Wall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian's_Wall) this year to raise money for charity and I'd like to raise money for a registered charity that supports African wildlife, ecology and local community education/training etc. Thing is there are so many charities that say they do these things and I've been going round in circles for weeks now trying to decide on just one.

If anyone has a charity that they think that ticks all these boxes and I really must raise money for can they please tell me which one - by PM would probably be best.

Again, mods if this isn't allowed I'm very sorry :k

Post subject: Re: Wildlife charities
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:03 pm 

Hi SammyA,

The only fundraising that can be done on this forum is for the SANParks Honorary Rangers. They are the only group where 100% of the money raised is guaranteed to go to SANParks.

Have a read here about the Honorary Rangers in general.

The forum has it's own Region of the Honorary Rangers and you can read about our activities here.

You do not have to be a member of the Honorary Ranger Corps to fundraise but if you are fundraising on the forum you will need to contact one of our members to guide you through the process.

If you think this will tick your boxes I'll try to get our Chairperson or a member of the committee to talk to you. If you want more information please let me know.

Good luck with the walk, it's quite an undertaking.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
SammyA, firstly, thank you for your wonderful effort. :gflower: It is much needed and I wish more people would become actively involved in wild life fund raising.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing that I would like to stress about the Honorary Rangers is that is an organization made up of volunteers and one with strict rules of governance. This means that every penny raised goes directly to conservation. There are no administration costs.

There are a lot of organizations active in conservation and many very good, but sadly, many people have climbed on the conservation band wagon for their own benefit. Do your homework carefully. I would hate your hard effort and goodwill to go into someone's back pocket.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:34 am 

Many thanks for your replies, I'd thought of the Honorary Rangers but was under the impression that I'd have to be a HR to do anything (and you have to live in SA to be a HR). I'll have a really good read now as I'd like to do something for them, and knowing that any money I raise is all going to help rather than for 'expenses'.

MM - I've read horror stories about people raising money for charity just for it to line the back pocket of some, or pay for expensive offices in London, that's why I thought I needed to ask for advice.

Thanks again for your replies, Saraf, I'll have a good read through those links and will be in touch :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:59 am 

SammyA wrote:
Many thanks for your replies, I'd thought of the Honorary Rangers but was under the impression that I'd have to be a HR to do anything (and you have to live in SA to be a HR).

That's the great thing about the Forum's Virtual Region, you don't have to live in SA to be a member. We have a member in the USA, 2 in the UK and 1 in the Netherlands, as well as SA members who don't live close to a region.

But again to do fundraising you don't even have to be a member.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:08 pm 

Hi SammyA, a similar sort of request from someone else with advice Here
Good luck with your walk. :clap: