SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sounds/Audio
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello all

Now here's a bit of a question (or maybe questions) that may have been asked before but I cant find it if it has. And I couldnt work out where would be the best place to post it so I hope it gets noticed in here.

There's a lot of posts of photographs of animals and birds. A few of insects and spiders and even fewer of plants and so forth. What I havent seen is discussion around the sounds that all the things make. When I am in a still place, I like to listen. Because it is never quiet. I dont know how to explain it but there is a difference between still and quiet.

So, I am an early mornings person mostly and even where I live, there is relative stillness in the early hours. And I sit and I listen. I have never made a note of the time but you can hear things starting to happen as the birds and insects start realizing that it's coming time to get active. I plan to start recording that. And I plan to start recording sounds when next I visit SANParks or any other place where I find the sounds around me interesting. I dont have any really serious kit to do this with. I have a Zoom H2N with which I record occasional effort on acoustic guitar and that's about it.

So, is there anyone else here that finds sound interesting? Interesting enough to record and to "show" people on forums or otherwise? And what do you use?

Cheers - Ed

Post subject: Re: Sounds/Audio
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Moobox, sound is my prime sense. More then the visual, it evokes the bush. I too am a morning person and what I love is the clarity of sound in the fresh morning air.

Many people are now posting videos, many capturing sounds. I think that anything that brings the bush into our home would be appreciated.

Most videos tend to be in the various trip reports. I think that it would be an excellent idea to devote a thread to the sounds though. Nothing like the call of the fish eagle, or the mournful cry of the olive wood dove. Whenever I hear a woodlands kingfisher I am transported back to Kruger.

The night sounds are particularly atmospheric. The little owls, the nightjars...the hyena laughing into the night, the young lion displaying its power....

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ja MM, video is one thing and it's nice. I've been thinking a bit sideways though and wondering some things. I've never noted, and that's maybe becasue I havent been looking, any non-sighted folks in the Parks. I also havent noted any facilities specifically for the, and once again maybe becasue I havent been looking. But I would imagine that just sitting amidst the sound of the bushm day or night. And we might think that there isnt really anything we can do for these folks but I wonder. For eg, if you walk along the area by the river at Skukuza you can often see stuff lying on the sand or coming down to drink. A non-sighted person wont see that. And right over there, there will be nothing for him/her except the incessant yabber of tourists. Readily available in any shopping mall. And would such a person be welcome to sit for periods in a place like the hide at Lake Panic? Not wanting to raise a point of contentiuon, but just putting it out there hey.

Another thing that I dont know is how to embed a sound object in the forum. Or would one just plak a link to soundcloud or boxnet?

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Early yesterday morning I heard the first Piet my vrou of the season.

I can identify with the non sighted problem. My mother is rapidly losing her eye sight and its a whole different world that you have to face and come to terms with.