View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Reading
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Finished reading "1356" on the weekend.
Really enjoyed it.

Am now reading Alex Ferguson's autobiography.
Interesting insight into the world of football.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
Everybody is free to read whatever he/she wants to read, but I was wondering, why do folks read fiction? How does reading a Wilbur Smith novel enhance your life. I have inherited a lot of Mills and Boon, as well as other fiction books but I have donated them to a charity orginisation. In my collection of about a 1000 books, there is not one single fiction book. If I cannot gain extra knowledge from a book, I don't want it.

Rooies, I spend most of my day reading contracts with the attendant reading of Scopes of Work and Specifications. When I get home of an evening I enjoy sitting down with a novel to take my mind out of work mode. I've found that I can learn from novels as well as non-fiction - it just depends what you read. James Michener for example does such great research that one can learn a lot from reading his books.

My reading is rather eclectic and I'll have 3 or 4 books going at any one time and one of them is always non-fiction on a topic I might be studying at that time.

For example, I'm currently re-reading my Tom Sharpe books, great satirical humour - generally on the bus on the way into and from work. I'm also reading a series of novels by W.E.B Griffin based on the US Marines in WW2. I'm also reading "The Black Rhinos of Namibia: Searching for Survivors in the African Desert" which is a follow on from "In Bushveld and Desert" by Christiaan Bakkes. I gain something from each book I read and always have.

For me, not having TV as a kid was the greates boon as it instilled in me the desire and need to read!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Finished Sir Alex's autobiography on the weekend
Very insightful into the world of foodball.

I have now downloaded the Warrior Chronicles (Bernard Cornwell) onto my Kindle - all 6 volumes! :big_eyes:
Not sure if I will read them all in one go. But I have started with The Last Kingdom, the first one.

I enjoy medieval stories

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi
Just finished "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. All about the building of a cathedral and the life in the UK in the yeas around the 1100.
A long read -- 1000 pages but very interesting and I learnt a lot and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm reading Five Lives At Noon by Brent Meersman, highly recommended. It's the second of his 1980s/1990s coming of age novels, his first is Reports Before Daybreak. Both highly recommended -- and quite an intense learning experience for me (as a non-Saffie :wink: ) as well. His characters are beautifully drawn and I've been eager to learn what's happened to them since the first book.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

PAPA SMURF wrote:
Hi
Just finished "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. All about the building of a cathedral and the life in the UK in the yeas around the 1100.
A long read -- 1000 pages but very interesting and I learnt a lot and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I read "Pillars" earlier in the year. Enjoyed it, but thought it did go on a bit. Could have been a bit shorter.

There is a second one in the series (the name escapes me at the moment), which I have on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

taking a break from the Warrior Chronicals. Am about 3/4 of the way through the first one.

Decided i need to read something wildlife related to get into the spirit of my up coming trip.

So have started The Game Rangers by Jan Roderigues.
A great compilation of short stories from the bush. Very good and enjoyable so far.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:40 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I don't have much time for reading lately, but enjoyed the movie The life of Pi on Sunday night immensely. I still haven't finished Wild Company by Gus Adendorff! Maybe I can finish it this weekend, especially if the power stays off the whole weekend! There are quite a few other books in my bedside cabinet waiting to be read. :thumbs_up: Time .... :wall:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:11 am 

Almost done with Byleveld - Dossier van 'n baasspeurder.

Next up will be either Boucher's book or Senna.

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :(

Ah well on to the next planning phase.....

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:54 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
hilda wrote:
Maybe I can finish it this weekend, especially if the power stays off the whole weekend! :thumbs_up: Time .... :wall:

I will never ever joke about things like this again!!! The power went out on Thursday night at 21:10, and is still not back on! They said over the news it will only be repaired within three or four DAYS! My SO bought a generator, and wallah! I can even log in on SANParks! He just returned from buying a long lead, and came home with a mini geyser! Hopefully not a cold bath tonight! Unbelievable what you can buy today to make life easier! All you hear when you enter Theresapark are generators running!

Sorry for this off topic part! I'm almost finished with Wild Company! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
hilda wrote:
hilda wrote:
Maybe I can finish it this weekend, especially if the power stays off the whole weekend! :thumbs_up: Time .... :wall:

I will never ever joke about things like this again!!! The power went out on Thursday night at 21:10, and is still not back on! They said over the news it will only be repaired within three or four DAYS! My SO bought a generator, and wallah! I can even log in on SANParks! He just returned from buying a long lead, and came home with a mini geyser! Hopefully not a cold bath tonight! Unbelievable what you can buy today to make life easier! All you hear when you enter Theresapark are generators running!

Sorry for this off topic part! I'm almost finished with Wild Company! :thumbs_up:

Same, here Hilda. :(

No power and now no water. We have borehole water and the pump is driven by electricity. I am switching off my computer now to save what little battery life is left.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

yoda wrote:
So have started The Game Rangers by Jan Roderigues.
A great compilation of short stories from the bush. Very good and enjoyable so far.

Just finished this.
Very entertaining and well worth reading.

Not sure what I will start next.
When I come to SA I usually read one of Terry Pratchet's fantasy stories.
Started as a tradition when a few years back, I hadn't brought a book with me, so I went to the book shop at Heathrow and bought one of Pratcht's novels. And it has now become a tradition.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:35 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Given the time we are facing, I have started "Long road to Freedom" by Nelson Mandela. It has been sitting on my bookshelf for a long, long time. :redface: :redface: It is proving to be interesting and worthwhile.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:35 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I have read "The long road to freedom" long ago, and started "Conversations with myself" by Nelson Mandela, but never finished it. I simply must make more time for reading books! :doh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
My reading starts on Thursday, after we have unpacked and settled in at Letaba, out come my books........ :roll:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next