SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Nature's own Pesticides
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
thanks for all the tips and info. I did use some stuff called 'Malasol' which killed them only in the area where I sprayed the poison. However, Boris the Tarantula and Hiss-bolla the snake did not enjoy the smell of the poison very much.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
Do you keep the tarantula and snake as pets Rooies? :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
JeanniR wrote:
Do you keep the tarantula and snake as pets Rooies? :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Best 'guard dogs' ever. The domestic refuses to come to work unless Hiss-bolla is carried out and put somewhere where she can keep an eye on him. We once chucked a piece of old snake skin away in the garden. The gardener started working in the garden until he saw the skin. Man, Usain Bolt se moer. Marshall was out of the gate in no time flat and refused to return unless we dispose of the skin. We told him that the skin was separated from the snake but his no was his no.

I am sure that word goes around that there are snakes in this specific house. Finer tips I will not reveal but there was never even an attempted break in at my place.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Indeed the best security system one can ask for :wink:

But I think I prefer dogs...at least they can be cuddled

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
Now, what prompted me to throw this at you is a plague of termites that has started to invade my house. For the first time in 20 years, they appeared from nowhere and it looks like they have managed to chow through the concrete. Before I go and buy a gallon or two termite poison, I would like to try a traditional method first.

Any help out there?

Rooies , I agree with you on use of dangerous chemicals , which sometimes do not even work .
Feel free to do the following :
Note , termites secrete Formic acid which they use to help digest wood fibres > Formic acid is a strong acid , which can be neutralised by Coaustic soda ( Sodium Hydroxide ) . So make up a solution of caustic soda ( be careful - it is corrosive on tender human skin ) , and pour it down the termite holes . When the caustic soda gets into contact with the formaic acid , it changes into sodium acetate , which is a harmless chemical , and is sometimes used to strengthen concrete .
So , in one step , you can get rid of the termites , and strenghthen the concrete that they have been " chowing " .

BTW , I do not know whether this wil work , have never tried it , but it makes senses , doesn't it :hmz:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Has anyone tried Khaki bos and boereseep for fleas?

I take my dogs for a daily walk through the veld. They love it and so do the fleas. It seems to me that the fleas are laughing at their flea collars right now. I often find that insects seem to go a bit crazy just before winter starts to set in. One of my dogs is very sensitive to flea bites and he is having a really bad time. I have shampoed but to no avail..

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I have tried the 'birds eye chili' trick. Before I doused them, I cleaned the area od all dirt and then went outside for a smoke break. Not even five minutes later I was back and during this five minutes, the termites managed to dig out another 3 inches of earth. So then I was really de moer in and pulled out the big guns. I poured the chillies, mixed with water down the holes, and waited for them to pop out. It is now a day and a half later and no sign whatsoever of any termites.

So, for a mere R11,00 (cost of the chillies) the job was done. I have tried all sorts of other strong spices but 'birds eye' chillies is the best.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Rooies wrote:
I have tried the 'birds eye chili' trick. Before I doused them, I cleaned the area od all dirt and then went outside for a smoke break. Not even five minutes later I was back and during this five minutes, the termites managed to dig out another 3 inches of earth. So then I was really de moer in and pulled out the big guns. I poured the chillies, mixed with water down the holes, and waited for them to pop out. It is now a day and a half later and no sign whatsoever of any termites.

So, for a mere R11,00 (cost of the chillies) the job was done. I have tried all sorts of other strong spices but 'birds eye' chillies is the best.

Happy it worked Rooies!! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My domestic swears by Jeyes fluid but I don't think the amonium is that good for the enviroment. Apparently it works for rats in a car as well you just push a dish with Jeyes under the car.

I know talc (baby powder) works to keep ants away I use it a lot when camping. Even keeps away "komando" ants on Mapungubwe from the baby laying under the tree on the ground.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:

Rooies,

Hmmm. Chillied termites.....a plate of rice....... Dinner! :big_eyes: