Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Childrens knowledge to Conservation and Wildlife
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mods if im not allowed to post this topic you may remove it but Id like some advice here, Im a tutor for children from Grade 1 to Grade 7 and while teaching the kids last week I decided to use pictures of wildlife as a study aid to get the kids to associate the names of animals with words, sounds of letters and so on boy was I shocked to discover that simple animals like an Impala the kids had no idea what it was or they decided it was a springbuck LOL that one i must say sent me into giggles nonetheless I want to help these kids to learn about Animals and get them educated and hopefully if I can get it right to arrange trips in school holidays and physically take them and show them what they are missing out on that would be a costly venture but Education is Power and Im sure someone out their would know who to speak to, to get this up and going for the kids, is their any advice that anyone can give me on how to do any of this, the tools id need, etc? Type of capital this will take? So many kids in today economy I losing the most valuable parts of their existence to lack of money and lifestyle my vision is to change this

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Post subject: Re: Childrens knowledge to Conservation and Wildlife
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi SL,

Just love to see how children react to different animals...........my screen saver at the office is usually of one of our trip to one of the parks and whenever children come in with their parents it's not long before they are standing next to my chair in awe of the animal photos.

There is a program Kids in Parks, which gives these kids an opportunity to fulfill this dream of yours.

Quote:
Kids in Parks

The Kids in Parks Programme provides a unique opportunity for learners and their educators to visit a national park and learn a lot about natural and cultural heritage.

The three-day programme allows for a loads of discovery, learning and fun for kids.

The programme exposes the importance of a national park to learners from nearby schools – and mostly from disadvantaged backgrounds. The children learn to identify, name and describe the fauna and flora. They learn about biodiversity and how to sustain it.

Special activities make learners aware of the importance of water conservation, a critical area in the country. The overnight camp is also an ideal opportunity to make young people aware of careers in conservation. The kids are housed in dorms. They are provided with three meals a day and educational material.

The Kids in Parks initiative is being phased in over a period of three years. Each year five different parks will welcome ten groups of 50 learners and 2 teachers. This means that eventually a total of 7 500 learners, 300 educators from 150 primary schools will have visited 15 parks.

The programme is a partnership between SANParks, Pick ‘n Pay and the departments of Environmental Affairs and Tourism (DEAT) and Education (DoE). After the 2003 legislation that phases out plastic shopping bags, Pick ‘n Pay introduced green bags into the market, R1 from every R5 bag has gone to a special environmental fund, which now provides the financial backbone for Kids in Parks.

Kids in Parks

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That is a wonderful aspiration SL- to teach conservation to the children and get them into a park! :clap:

When I stayed in Hwange National Park the researcher I was with did one day a week teaching the NP staff children Grade 5-7 environment studies. Even though the staff village and school was in the park at Main Camp the children had never been out into the wider park itself!

One day we took the small class jammed into the covered bakkie with a few kids in the cab with us. :D
We drove to a couple of the hides and spent ages sharing the binocs around and having some great sightings.

The kids were so excited, full of questions and joy! As we returned to camp at sundown the children spontaneously started singing and kept singing all the way home. It was a day I will never forget and I am sure it made a great impression on those children.

I really hope you can make your ideas and dreams a reality! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

threedogs wrote:
That is a wonderful aspiration SL- to teach conservation to the children and get them into a park! :clap:

When I stayed in Hwange National Park the researcher I was with did one day a week teaching the NP staff children Grade 5-7 environment studies. Even though the staff village and school was in the park at Main Camp the children had never been out into the wider park itself!

One day we took the small class jammed into the covered bakkie with a few kids in the cab with us. :D
We drove to a couple of the hides and spent ages sharing the binocs around and having some great sightings.

The kids were so excited, full of questions and joy! As we returned to camp at sundown the children spontaneously started singing and kept singing all the way home. It was a day I will never forget and I am sure it made a great impression on those children.

I really hope you can make your ideas and dreams a reality! :thumbs_up:

Thanks Threedogs now I just need to hope that someone can give me real sound advice here as to how to go about this that this dream can become a reality cos every child deserves to experience this atleast once in their life

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
2 of my liitle ones go to Voortrekkers and they love it.

I help out at the camps and was suprised on one of the "challanges" they had to id animal sounds. That Gr5 kids don't know the differance between the sound a lion and a hyena makes. (well they are JHB kids)

My son know the differance between a springbuck & impala before he know his shapes.

Had a giggle. My son was about 3 years old when we were on a drive at Mapungubwe and saw some zebra. I take out my camera to take some pic's to hear this little voice from the back seat "smile sebila smile"

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Quote:
Had a giggle. My son was about 3 years old when we were on a drive at Mapungubwe and saw some zebra. I take out my camera to take some pic's to hear this little voice from the back seat "smile sebila smile"

Priceless NetEk......... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks LQ it has become a family saying in our house after that, every time you try and get that perfect pics of an animal that just doesn't want to cooperate.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

NetEk wrote:
2 of my liitle ones go to Voortrekkers and they love it.

I help out at the camps and was suprised on one of the "challanges" they had to id animal sounds. That Gr5 kids don't know the differance between the sound a lion and a hyena makes. (well they are JHB kids)

My son know the differance between a springbuck & impala before he know his shapes.

LOL shame NET its moments like that; that makes one realise how valuable memorys are, My eldest could name almost every animal by the time she turned 1 and My youngest has a thing about impala, she's 4 now and usually she stands on the backseat arms outstretched looking for impala if SO keeps driving when seeing them she yelp from the back 'STOP Daddy why you want to drive past the bok bokkies' SO then reverses and stops she climbs over and then proceeds to have a fat conversation with each one of the impy's and tells the babysitter to listen to their mommy or they will get pakslae' look by that time i keeling over with laughter, skyla then gives me a glare (as small as what she is* which says mommy your scaring my bok bokkies she then profusely apologizes cos im laughing at her and then tells them Bye bye bok bokkie bye bye, the scary part is if you drive a further 200meters and you see more impy's you have to stop and she starts all over again, now imagine that scenario in a rush to make gate closing times OI! What a mission! :D