Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Nature's signs of rain
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After a little bit of argy-bargy in the poaching topic, it is time for something more relaxing.

I grew up on a farm where a lack of rain meant disaster. Just one crop failure was enough to put a farmer out of business. In those days, the weather bureau did not have all of the modern gadgets like satellites to assist them with the prediction of rain and their forecasts were mostly inaccurate. Instead, the old folks looked at what the animals were doing before they decided on whether to start planting or not.

One such creature was the weaver. The farmers looked at the height of the nests above the water level. If the nests were built low or no nests at all, it was a sign that it was not going to be a good year. However, if there were plenty of nests built high up in the trees, planting could begin. The termites were also an indicator. If the termites started to increase the height of the mound, rain was on its way.

I am sure that some of you have also heard of such behaviour, like the Impalas. Come share it with us.

Post subject: Re: Nature's signs of rain
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If reptilies start heading for high ground so should you. (Northern Cape saying)

We saw it in December on Mapungubwe that the wildebeest started calveing that was 2 weeks before the big rain. They always start having their young if rain is on the way. Apparently they can "keep the calfs back" not sure how true that is.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Some of my older family members used to say, and some are still saying that when a person notices a sudden increase in the number of duisendpote it is going to rain a lot.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quailia finches (hope the spelling right) are the biggest sign especially in the kruger when the fly together swooping in large groups then their is big rain on its way guaranteed :)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Birds are always are good indicator of impending rain - if they suddenly become scarce or even disappear totaly - then there's trouble on the way ..............soon!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I grew up in the old Transvaal and lived on the highveld ( Jhb ) until 1979 , when we moved to the Cape . Of course , over the years I have grown to consider the Cape my home , but there are still certain things that I remember and sometimes miss , maybe even momentarily , but things that brings back the nostalgia . One of those things are the bitterly freezing wind on a cold highveld morning , when the sun struggles to warm you , but your your ears just freeze , with your eyes watring and numb fingers , while cycling to school :big_eyes:
And the hot windless highveld summers , with afternoon thundershowers , flashing lightning , and loud thunderclaps that shake you in your socks.

And , sometimes when we travel from the Cape up to Kruger , sudddenly you get a whiff of a breeze , and a smell ........ wow , and it brings back memories , because that is the smell of rain , carried on the breeze for a hundred miles , and I just stop the vehicle , and stand next to it with arms spread wide , smelling and inhaling the fresh , earthy smell , of a far-away thunderstorm . Then , waiting , waiting , for the first raindrops ... puff , puff , and then coming down faster and faster , and I just stand there getting wetter and wetter , absorbing the goodness from the sky :dance:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Along the theme started by okie.....

My wife & children are from the Western Cape, and when we have been in Currie Cupless country, I have warned them that when you experience a 'sudden, mighty, wind' (not from within :roll: ) run for cover because it will rain like mad in a few minutes.

In the UK they can make it rain at will. A man goes into a meadow and knocks 3 sticks into the ground and walks a little way and knocks another 3 into it. A group of men enters the meadow and spreads out, with one holding a spherical object. Two other men join them and stand near the sticks, one at each set. Then the man holding the sphere starts to run towards the sticks and the heavens open. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Like BB has mentioned, if you want rain, organize a cricket match. An American once asked what a cricket test was. The reply was short and sweet; It is a game played over five days, more often interrupted by rain than not. Try and explain to a total stranger to the game that you play a test match over five days and end it sometimes happen that there is no result. Explain tea time, lunch break, dinner break (one day games), night watchman, silly point, deep square leg etc..

To come back to the rain, I have also noticed the millipedes coming into the house when heavy rain is imminent. The same goes with flies. The older folks said that "die vliee raak taai" (the flies are getting sticky) I have noticed that as well. One has to give the fly a decent klap before it flies away.

My bathroom door is also an indicator of the amount of moisture in the air. When it closes with a 'click' its dry, but when I have to slam it and it goes 'doef', then rain is around the corner.

But my favourite is a glass filled with ice cold beer. If the moisture condenses on the glass and it runs down to the bar counter, then it is going to rain, but when the droplets just stick to the glass, you can put your umbrella away.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
In the UK they can make it rain at will.

When there is a drought next time in Kruger this method should be put to the test to see whether it works ……. I just hope it won’t be too difficult to put a group of volunteers together to follow BB’s instructions …

Rooies wrote:
The older folks said that "die vliee raak taai"

That is true, just before the heavy rains starts to fall.

:D :wink:

Last edited by Grantmissy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:02 pm 

On the Highveld, there are many signs of imminent rain in summer; One just needs to learn to read the signs:

More flying insects around in groups, and thus the swallows more active in groups;
    Flying ants arrive in their droves, to get out of their underground burrows/nests before they flood;
    More spiders come indoors and more millipedes around;

Once it has tarted to rain, some other tongue-in-cheek responses could also be:

it will generally be cloudy :o ;
    it will usually be noisy, with lightening and thunder around :lol: ;
    it will always happen when you are out and all your windows at home are open :hmz: ;
    your umbrella is broken, missing or in the car in the driveway and you have to go out. :wall:

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What I don't see the last couple of years is what the old folks called 'geelperske reen' Not thunder and lightning but soft soaking rain over three to four days. But then the southeaster in the Cape must blow for 5 five consecutive days, so strong that it will lift BB straight out of his socks. (But I guess that after the 'Cup' was brought home, they think they can tame anything including the southeaster.)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
But then the southeaster in the Cape must blow for 5 five consecutive days, so strong that it will lift BB straight out of his socks.

Yeah Rooies, it has been blowing SE here for weeks now, and all my socks must be in the Atlantic ocean by now.

But when the wind pumps here, like it has been doing, it rains heavily up country, hence the Kruger flooding.

We get your 'geelperske reen' in winter. Steady soaking drizzle.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here in the Cape , specifically around Cape Town , it rains over Easter weekend . It does not matter when it is easter weekend , but it will rain . That is 100 % guarenteed .
So , I can tell you now , it will rain somewhere within Cape Town surrounds during the period starting Friday morning 29th March 2013 , and ending Monday night 1st April 2013 :naughty: .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here in the Cape , specifically around Cape Town , it rains over Easter weekend . It does not matter when it is easter weekend , but it will rain . That is 100 % guarenteed .
So , I can tell you now , it will rain somewhere within Cape Town surrounds during the period starting Friday morning 29th March 2013 , and ending Monday night 1st April 2013 :naughty: .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 pm 

My parents always used to say when the dog's one ear flipped back it was going to rain! :?
and it often was right! :tongue: