SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ginger biscuits at Mooiplaas
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:47 am 

Oh Boy What a nice thread

We do the WHOLE rickmarol!

I LOVE COOKING!

From Roosterkoek, to braai, to Camping lasagne, Kerrie en Rys, salads, breads, etc. Even desert for a few nights!!!

We did buy the Voetspore Cookbook a couple of years back and try en test some recipes when we go on holiday.

We love the whole food prep thing and we have even learned how to bake a bread in the sand!

Thats part of our trip and a great finish to a holiday!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a wonderful thread. Brings back the memories!. My SO and I have been caravaning for 38 years and all our trips to Kruger (so few of them) have been in caravan. The things we take with from home is homemade buttermilk rusks and boerekoekies for dipping in coffee early mornings at the waterholes/dams etc. The boerekoekie recipe is from my late mother-in-law who had a fairly large family to take on holiday every year so she filled them up on these. They are a biggish biscuit with a spicy taste as they have ginger, mixed spice and nutmeg in and are so delicious. Anyone want the recipe then please PM me and I will send it. And homemade vetkoek with "green tin Lyals' syrup are just the best, but I must say cheese and bovril are just as nice.
I have a smallish "bakpot" which goes everywhere in our caravan and homemade bread is often on the menu with those lovely jams and preserves bought on the way to Kruger at the "padstalletjies" Now isn't it time for another Kruger trip???

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We take along some braais but our other main meals are all cooked by me and frozen. I also make a big container of what we call 'Kruger biscuits which are a kind of pecan-nut butter shortbread biscuit, and a fruit loaf called barmbrak, which has been doctored in various ways to make it delicious and moist enough not to need any butter (most barmbrak is served as buttered slices). I wish I could make home-made bread like you do Dr Phil, What a lovely thing to have in the park . . . mmmnnn can almost smell it now . . . .

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:24 pm 

salamanda wrote:
I wish I could make home-made bread like you do Dr Phil, What a lovely thing to have in the park . . . mmmnnn can almost smell it now . . . .

If you want I will PM you how to do it? :D It is really very easy, I'm surprised anyone with an oven still buys bread. Must be because there are so few who can slice a bread in nice even and straight slices...... :wink:

I find it much easier to take dry ingredients into the park and just add water the day I want my Vetkoek, roosterkoek or bread. And if you go camping you can use the same doe for a nice pot-bread to go with a nice potjie. :thumbs_up: Now I'm getting myself hungry...

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:29 pm 

I think we can all do with a new bread recipe :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:
I must look in the shops whether they still sell that syrup, the one in the green can or tin that is how I remember it .

Saw it in Spar last night .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ndloti - Saw it in Spar last night .

Knowing your Spar Ndloti - that's not fair to the rest of us as we reckon one could get just about anything there. Our Spar ain't got it......

Did try making bread a couple of years ago but .............. let's just draw a curtain over the event!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Ndloti I also looked for that green tin as in your photo today but as PNF I was not lucky. I remember my Grandmother even had plants in some of those empty tins on the stoep lol PNF hand made bread is not that easy I think. Also tried it lol

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:
PNF hand made bread is not that easy I think. Also tried it lol

Hmm! think it might have something to do with "hand" :) :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
PNF wrote:
it might have something to do with "hand"

:D and experience I think?

Many of the great home cooks of the past baked and cooked on and in those old AGA wood burning stoves, those old black stoves thaty were polished in the mornings :D . I guess similar to what some creative people can cook over the braai in Kruger today :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:15 am 

stelliegp123 wrote:
I think we can all do with a new bread recipe :wink:

Ok Stelliegp123 here it goes,

It depends on how big a bread you want to bake...

For 3 to 4 persons I would say the following will be fine. You can just increase the quantities in the correct proportions if you cater for more people..

3 cups of cake flour
2 tea spoons of sugar
1 tea spoon salt
5 g dry yeast

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then start to add warm water (Not burning just slightly warm).

Add water and mix a bit. keep adding water until you have a nice sticky doe. then leave in the bowl with a wet cloth over the bowl to keep the doe from drying. When it has risen and doubled in size use your fist to knee it down. Do this twice and place in a bread pan and bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees Celsius.

Disclaimer: In the event that the bread turns out to be a flop, I reserve the right to claim the baker made an error :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Before we go I always have to bake Hughs favourites which he calls granny biscuits .They are beeeg and are easy to make and the recipe ingredients are in great quantities ( granny had 12 children)I usually get away with half quantities . Then there is "bobby cake" a friend called bobby gave it to me . a rich fruit cake with rather a lot of brandy added. Ideal as a pudding or just by itself , not to mention the good old crunchies and short bread and Hughs special treat is a decadent cherry cake . ( once the baboons enjoyed it too when they tore into our tent in tamboti)
by the way I do eat any of this its all for the real Hugh

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hugh wrote:
a rich fruit cake with rather a lot of brandy added.

This cake sounds very nice Elizabeth :D :clap:

I remember one of my aunts was “not good” with dough for pastries and so forth as apparently her hands were always “too warm” and the other aunts said everything used for the dough must be cool to cold. They even made the dough in the early mornings. Although her hands might have been too warm for working with the pastry and tart dough her “padkos” was the best and renowned in the family. Chicken drumsticks, frikkadelle, tomato and cheese sandwiches and milk tart :lol: .

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy. Nothing wrong with an aunt with "warm hands" if she can make all those goodies for padkos. MMM Melktert!!! Yummy. And Hugh, I see you feed the real Hugh very well at Kruger. That fruit cake with the brandy sounds really good. How about someone starting a recipe thread??? I just thought if I had the time I would collect these recipes and put it in a book and sell it for "Save the Rhino funds". Sadly I still work and my time is very limited. Any offers?

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I wish those who are in Kruger happy and good lunches at Mooiplaas and the other Kruger picnic spots for the remaining days of 2012!