Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where have you grown up and where's your roots?
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was born and grew up in Jhb.

Moved to Cape Town when the company I worked for offered to transfer me - it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Live there for 4 years.

15 years ago I came to the UK (London) for a "brief holiday", met the SO, and the rest they say, is history.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It seems your roots remain in the bush, Yoda.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:44 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Some fascinating stories on this thread. Every person could write their very own book and most of those would be riveting reading. :dance: :dance:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Last edited by onewithnature on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This topic is fascinating!! Thanks for the bump, young lady!

Born and bred in Pretoria (apart from 2 years in my very early childhood in Otjiwarongo and Etosha in the then South West Africa), and also went to high school in the shadow of Loftus, albeit the English school :lol: :lol: Spent '83 and '84 as a guest of the Oom Magnus in Potchefstroom, and after completing the Junior Leader's course successfully as a "bicycle" (1 star lieutenant - called a bicycle as everyone rode you) we travelled to magnificent countries without the hassle of a passport. Exotic sounding places such as Ondangwa, Oshakati, Cuvelai, Grootfontein, Omuthiya amongst others, where it was just mostly VERY hot and not very exotic. My love for the bush was born here though.

Somehow ended up in the IT industry in '87 where I've been ever since. Moved to Joburg in '89. Met and married my ex-wife in '93 (who was coincidentally also born in Bury in the north of England), moved to the USA in '97 and spent 2 years in Los Angeles, California and 1 year in Harker Heights, Texas 40 miles north of Austin. Moved back to SA in 2000 as we were missing home terribly and decided that we'd like a housemaid that didn't cost a fortune again. While it was a great experience there, my claim to fame is that I managed to be in a Hollywood blockbuster. The General's Daughter with John Travolta and Madeleine Stowe released in '99. I'm the guy in American Army dress blues playing the bagpipes near the end of the movie where the coffin is carried out to the plane.

My 2 lovely daughters came from my first marriage and divorced in 2006. Met in 2009 and married my lovely wife, Jaxidean, in 2012. My offspring count increased by 3 as Jax has 3 lovely children of her own. Our youngest is now 17, and the 2 eldest are 27. Took her to KNP in 2009 for her very first visit ever, and watched with joy as a fierce love blossomed within her for the most wonderful place on earth. Realized a lifelong dream during this period and became an HR as well and here we are now, looking for the remotest of excuses to get back to the bush whenever we can.

I'm still stuck in the IT industry ... (looking to change that when I can though and get into the conservation side of things)

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:41 pm 

I am originally a son of the soil of the Eastern Cape,. now the Lowveld. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Born in Cambridge, UK, left for Egypt when I was three and learned to swim. I saw my first veterinary delivery here when my brother got his head stuck between the curved posts of the verandah railing (don't ask) and had to be delivered from them by the local vet with a tub of vaseline. That was when I first realised that we all had big ears.Then the family moved to Kenya where the verandah railings weren't so difficult to negotiate and travelled around quite a bit as my lawyer father had a yearning to be a farmer. Grain, beef and dairy farms having been sampled he returned to the law and I settled into my ninth primary school with a sigh of relief.Apart from a slight hitch several years later when he borrowed huge medical tomes from his doctor and settled down to study them with a view to doing medicine after all (my mother cleverly put the kybosh on this one by falling pregnant ), he remained with the law and we stayed in Kenya until I had finished school, whereupon we moved to South Africa. I spent some years in the UK at varsity and working and then returned here to live in KZN. Technically my roots are in the UK, but the roots of my heart are here in Africa and it beats at its slowest and steadiest rhythm when I'm in the bush.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
It seems your roots remain in the bush, Yoda.

MM, yup, you are right.
If the flights from the UK to SA weren't so expensive, I would come back more often :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:31 am 

I was born in the land of milk and honey as my mm used to call it - Zululand (KZN). Moved to Qwa-Qwa when I was 4. Golden Gate became the place where all school and social activities took place! From there we moved to the oposite end of my world: Oshakati. This was very exciting... The town had a shop, a pool, a school and a few churches! There were banks, doctors and a tar road leading up to the entrances to town. And a few troops. Here life got interesting. All 'uitstappies' were taken to places with very exotic names: oshivello, ruacana to just name a few. And the travel arrangements included things like 'buffels & kotskoetse'. It was very exciting when family came to visit: they had to be taken to Etosha and Swakopmund. When I outgrew the local school it was of to Grootfontein! Eventually we had to leave because my mom got homesick. We moved to Champagne Estate, Acornhoek. Now all visitors had to be treated to: KNP! When I could not go home some weekends there were visits to staff vilages in the KNP. Eventually my wagon was unhitched from my parents, and I had to go to the best of the worst - lesser of many evil cities: Pretoria. I studied unsuccessfully for a semester or two, regrouped, changed direction and became 'of iets'. Met SO and got stuck in Pta. I believe a piece of my roots stayed behind every where I lived & have loved ones. Now I can only go on holiday max 9 or 10 days and I miss home. At home I am always scheming how I can get back out there!

6-8 July 2015 Tamboti
9 July 2015 Sable
10-12 July 2015 Letaba

30/6-2/7/14 Shingwedzi
3 /7/14 Shipandane
4/7/14 Pretoriuskop
5/7/14 Berg-en-Dal

11 April 2014 Shipandane Hide
12 April 2014 Tambotie

30 June - 4 July 2014 Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:48 am 

Very interesting people those who love the wild.

I was born in Harare and we lived in Chiredzi, Masvingo and Harare.
Like bushbarmy I would sell my soul for a Mopani tree.
Got married and moved to Cape Town in 97. Moved to Joburg in 2001 and been here ever since.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for "restarting" this, CV. It is interesting to see people's posts.

I was born in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, England and then spent the first 6 years of my life in Stirlingshire, Scotland. I was then in Radlett, Hertfordshire until 1975. I went to school in St Albans from age 8 to 18.

After school I worked at London House for Overseas Graduates (now part of the Goodenough College) and met lots of South Africans and Rhodesians. I decided to move to South Africa "for one year". In 1975 I came to South Africa and worked as the departmental secretary in the Psychology Department at Wits University. In 1977 I returned to UK and worked at the Squash Rackets Association. I hated London and, after saving up for the fare, returned to South Africa in 1979.

I met Richard in 1981 and we married in 1983. We have two wonderful daughters and now two wonderful sons-in-law and one granddaughter. One daughter is now in UK but we have managed to see her quite often.
We lived initially in Blairgowrie, Johannesburg, then moved to a larger property in Bryanston and for the last 14 years have been living on a smallholding in Kyalami. It has always been my dream to have my horses at home and it is wonderful. I keep a few horses for other people, too, and it is nice to have other people around the place. We have vague ideas of retiring to somewhere more "bush" but no firm plans yet.

I enjoy my trips back to England but I think, after nearly 40 years, my roots are pretty firmly in South Africa. I can't see myself living in England again - too far from the bush and other joys of being in South Africa (weather, good food, friends etc.).

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:44 pm 

Really so very interesting to read all these posts.

I was born in Durban and have two younger brothers. When I was 7yrs old, my Dad was transferred to JHB. I completed my schooling at Hyde Park High and met and married my first husband in 1979 and had two wonderful children, a son and then a daughter.

We decided that a move from JHB to the Eastern Cape would enable us to have the quality of life that we so yearned for. We bought a small farm up the coast from East London and started farming chickens. (No Experience! Crazy things you do when you are oung). A very hard life, I must say. Anyway after 4yrs of unsuccessful farming we then moved into East London and remained there until the unfortunate break up of my marriage when I then returned to JHB with the children, to be nearer my family.

A few years later I met my Dave and re- married in 1997. He suggested on one occasion that we and the children take a trip to the Kruger for a long weekend, he being a seasoned KNP visitor!! WHAT I asked, you mean you want me to sit in a hot car and drive around the bush looking for animals???? Just give it a try he said. Well a 'bush baby' was born and now I can just get emotional looking at a book about the park. LOL

In 2009 we moved to the UK (we both have British passports, thanks to parents etc) and lived for 14mths near my son and his English wife in the beautiful little village of Wixford in Warwickshire not far from Stratford Upon Avon. We were happy and had wonderful experiences, but the pull from SA was just too strong, so we came home :D We are very happy that we had the experience of living abroad and would always have wondered, 'what if', if we had not gone over.

My Dad had meantime passed away and Mum and my brothers and their wives had moved down to Somerset West, near Cape Town, so we joined them. I now have 4 gorgeous grandchildren and I could not be more proud of my children, who have married such special people. We are very happy living with a view of the sea and keep myself busy working with one of my brothers.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hippotragus wrote:

I was then in Radlett, Hertfordshire until 1975. I went to school in St Albans from age 8 to 18.

I live in the Radlett/St Albans area.
It has become so built up, even in the past 11 years that I have been here.
You probably wouldn't recognise it.

The big contensious issue at the moment is "garden grabbing" - a developer buys 3 or 4 houses in a road, knocks them down and then builds a whole lot of cluster houses.

A few garden centers in the area are now housing.
Even a pub has been redeveloped.
It really is a shame.
All the things that attracted myself and the SO to the area are slowly disappearing. :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
This is such an interesting thread! 8)

My story is quite boring! I have never lived anywhere else but Ermelo :doh: So my roots are very firmly planted here :roll:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm also boring, Jeanni. Durban born and bred. 25 years ago we bought the house we live in a whole 20 kms inland from The Durban CBD but I still go into Durban every day to work.

I love reading about everyone's interesting backgrounds

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

For all those with your Roots so deep! :thumbs_up:

Stick To Your Roots
~by Manders~

People change
People try to find a new way
But the people who stick to their roots
Are the people who find the meaning of life

The people that change may find themselves again
But they may just end up back where they started
Without even noticing
They may change time and time again

But the people who stick to their roots
Are the people who find the meaning of life. :D

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next