Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where have you grown up and where's your roots?
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I was born a short bus ride from Old Trafford, the centre of the earth.

My dad worked for a woodworking machine manufacturer in Rochdale near Manchester. Being very good at his job, he was asked if he would like to represent the company on Joburg. He came to SA for 6 months to 'test drive' and came back to Rochdale to fetch my mum brother and me.

He had found out about Kruger from his Afrikaans customers (now there is a match made in heaven :twisted: ) speaking in his broad Lancashire accent as he did until he died. They seemed to like him, because many of our early family friends were Afrikaans.

We visited Kruger a number of times in my junior school years before mum & dad parted ways and we went with mum to the Cape.

I have been here ever since, married, raised 3 children.

Hey Rooies et al, it is NOT in the blood, it gets into the shoes.....

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Was born in Potgietersrus and grew up there and in Pietersburg. My roots are in North Transvaal in the heart of the Bosveld...nothing beats that for me! :thumbs_up:

I'm staying in Pretoria for too long now, but will go back to the Bosveld in a flash. :thumbs_up:

For you who don't know, the Bush-field is where the hardekool (hardwood) is found! :twisted: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I grew up on a fruit farm in the Little Karroo. Our village was Barrydale, famous for being on the R62 :roll:

Went to a small farm school - barefoot, carefree days - loved roaming the farm with pellet gun in hand - only allowed to shoot birds that ate the fruit, never doves or swallows.

Boarding school in Cape Town, Stellenbosch University, lived in Cape Town, Johannessburg for 4 years, and the last 30+ years here in the Helderberg.

Where would I like to be right now - parked at Kwang waterhole- 30ks north of Nossob in the KTP :pray:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:47 pm 

My grandparents, both sets, moved to South Africa from a little village called Kholvad in Gujarat State, India.
In South Africa they, together with other people from Kholvad found the going tough and realized that the only way to a better life was education and a qualification. So many of them clubbed in and had a block of flats built in Market Street, Johannesburg and called it Kholvad House. The rental income was used to educate children back in Kholvad and in South Africa.

Kholvad House has a rich history

My father ended up in Vereeniging and I was born there. We lived in an area called the “Asiatic Bazaar” which sounds very nice but was not. Dirt roads, no street lights or water borne sewage but it was a good childhood with many happy memories. We were about 100 families in the area and everybody knew everybody else.

I, like many other children whose forbears hailed from Kholvad, was educated courtesy of a scholarship from Kholvad House. Only requirement is you have to repay the full amount of the scholarship when you qualify – no interest or time limit to repay. So I was fortunate to be educated in the UK where I did “O” levels and “A” Levels and the first year of my degree. I completed my degree at University of Durban Westville. If it was not for this system many of us would not have had the opportunity to get an education as my parents would never have been able to afford it.

Anyway I qualified as a pharmacist and went the manufacturing route working in the Pharmaceutical Industry.
Sharifa and I decided early in our marriage that we going to see as much of South Africa as we can and so each time a job opportunity in another city came up I took it. We started off in Lenasia (Jhb) and have lived in Reservoir Hills and Westville (both in Durban), Brakenhurst in Alberton, Mulbarton in JHB, Elandshaven in Germiston. Durbanville and Brackenfell (Hi Orange :yaya: ) in Cape Town and for the last 4 and half years in Centurion.

I have been to India and to Kholvad and love it. I have wonderful memories of England. In my present job I go to many countries but my roots are firmly in South Africa – all of it.

So vast, so different, so beautiful, so much diversity, so many cultures that make up this wonderful land and faces it’s challenges daily.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:43 pm 

Born in Nelpsruit, although my father was mine manager at Havelock Mine so they had to schlep on that dreadful road to Nelspruit when I was about to arrive. First 3 years spent at Havelock and Barberton before parents moved to the then Rhodesia. Had the most wonderful childhood in Bulawayo and Salisbury. Returned to S.A. in 1966 to live in Jo'burg till 1991 when returned to the love of my life, the lowveld and have lived in White River ever since.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:07 am 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Safari Gal I know that awful road you mean between Havelock Mine and Nelspruit. (That road is quite good now, I believe its actually tarred all the way!!! - although I have not tried it, it does have wonderful scenery though)

I was born in Johannesburg, and my parents moved to Swaziland when I was 10. I have lived here ever since besides a year at school in America and a year working in England.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Three in a row who have roots close to Swaziland.
I lived there the first 8 years of my life in amongst the pine plantations around Mhlambanyatsi in the western highlands - the area around Sabie is very similar.
In the "CBD" area there was a butcher,supermarket,Barclays bank,church,a golf club,a school,filling station,Forresters arms Hotel and the "old village" about 5 km away which had a clinic,police station,post office & recreation club with little else to serve the paperpulp factory & forestry employees
SABC Springbok radio was an evenings entertainment.This is mountainous area where a bicycle was of little use,and a days entertainment involved much walking and exploring the plantations and wide open spaces.

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Born in the Northern Transvaal (PTA), grew up on a farm between Middelburg and Cradock which meant boarding school in Grahamstown (the city of many seasons in one day), after that worked in PE for about 10 yrs and met my hubby there too, been up in Pretoria for the last 30 yrs but holiday down on the Eastern Cape where we plan to retire.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Born in Pietermaritzburg, went to school in pietermaritzburg, now studying in....Pietermaritzburg :mrgreen:
My roots lie here in the rolling hills of KZN, where the north is the bush, east is the beach and west is the berg :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Born in Tzaneen one winter’s afternoon. Grew up in Phalaborwa. Had a dream of a childhood, barefoot days, bicycle riding in the bush while your hairs stood on edge as you could bump into any type of Kruger escapees at any time! :big_eyes:

Us kids that grew up together are very close to each other even today and stayed in contact through the years, a special bond and link with our beloved Phallies. :D
Studied in Pretoria and settled in Zululand where I met SO. I also befriended Rooies’ sister and brother in law when they were still living there, small world!!

If not in one of our lovely parks (Non-Sanparks as well) we love to do the Midlands Meander, (Piggly-Wiggly and Rawdons on top of our list) or the Western Cape, Stellenbosch, Greyton and Stanford. Greyton has special memories, played piano one night into the wee hours of the morning with fine Scottish whisky as payment from the owner of the Greyton Lodge. :whistle: Its tough but someone had to do it!
Travelling from Zululand to the Cape, we always stay over in Clarens in the Eatern Free State and Graaff Reinette in the Eastern Cape. Wonderful towns.
So I can say that my roots are all over South Africa :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was born in Letsitele (well actually in Tzaneen hospital, but we stayed in Letsitele at the time) My dad worked for the provincial nature reserves then, so that meant we were staying on the reserves. I was about 6 or 7 months old when we then moved to Musina, some 4 years there and then we moved to Doorndraai dam near to Potties (potgietersrus/ Mokopane) and after some 4 years there we moved to Pietersburg. and then got stuck here :wall: I was in Potties in the school for Gr1 then the rest of school in Pietersburg. was for a year in Pretoria and back in Pietersburg now. I will anyday move to the bush.

Somebody told me the other day, that I always say all good things comes from the lowveld. I just smiled, coz I'm also "a lowveld product" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

love love love the lowveld. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 pm 

Really enjoying this thread!

I'm a Joburg boy (yes, boy - the screenname seems to throw people). Been here my whole life, although I'm considering a move to Pretoria as the daily commute is becoming exhausting.

I'd happily pack my bags for the Lowveld though!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
anne-marie wrote:
and I will come later.. no, no, no not for my roots, they are so banal... for yours

:lol:

I was born in Mokopane (Potgietersrus) in Limpopo and after high school moved to Pretoria where I still live. It was a great place to grow up in and when I was in Primary School many of the roads were still not tarred and all the kids used to play in the streets in the evenings till after dark and the grown-ups were chatting (usually a big dose of skinder as well) on the stoeps of the houses :D . It was very safe. I also remember when the circus visited the town they had a procession in some of the streets in the central of town and all the kids followed it very eagerly. There were a lot of dust as we were very excited and even did a few cartwheels as well :lol: . My roots are firmly in SA :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
Born in Vanderbijlpark
My dad was a dutch immigrant working at Yskor, the steel factory

Like Bert, born in Vanderbijlpark, where my dad also worked at Yskor, a co-worker with Bert's dad. :D
Raised, attended school and University there. My parents have now been living at the same address for 40 years... They've never lived anywhere else.
I lived in Balfour and Standerton in Mpumalanga for a couple of years before moving back to Vanderbijlpark. Now in Den Haag.

My roots are in the Vaal Triangle. That's where I feel at home. It may not be the prettiest place in South Africa, but it's home.

My favourite place in South Africa ever since we went there on holidays when I was small, is the West Coast. Paternoster or Lambertsbaai.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Have just "tripped over" this thread - how strange that many of the mites here have crossed each others paths at some time or another!

Born in Portugal, moved to Newport, Monmouthshire - well it was but now its in Gwent (not far from Crested Val) - in the early 50's. Educated there and at boarding school in Oxford. Came to SA after "A" levels for a 3 month holiday with relatives and stayed for 15 months - back to Newport for 3 years and then emigrated! Lived and worked in Jo'burg and Lesotho, met and married P in Swaziland - one child born there (P knew Jazil's SO!)
Transferred to Rhodesia - second child born in Bulawayo. Transferred to Vereeniging and lived there for 32 years! Two years ago moved north to the Bushveld ( not far from where WFG and Grantmissy grew up!) and are now, hopefully, settled!
Africa got into my blood when I first arrived and has never left - annual trips to KNP and/or KTP are a must to keep us going!

F

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next