Skip to Content

How to cram a 4x4 + caravan into a suitcase

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa

Moderator: Crested Val

DinkyBird

How to cram a 4x4 + caravan into a suitcase

Unread postby DinkyBird » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:50 pm

All tips and advice welcome!

We have only ever flown to Kruger for weekend trips. We are now flying for a 2 week + trip. I am having panic attacks at how I am going to manage to pack and take all we need to take with. How do you guys who fly so far over the seas do it?

Cosmetics, cameras x 3 at least, 2 laptops, clothes, shoes, food, WINE ... there comes that wave of panic again!!! Breathe in, breathe out ....

First aid kid, emergency goodies, more WINE, coffee percolator, coffee plunger, coffee basket, picnic basket ... coffee ... rusks, muffins ....

BREATHE - in out in out ... in out slowly .....

HELP!!!
Sawubona
Dalene

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: How to cram a 4x4 + caravan into a suitcase

Unread postby arks » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:03 pm

Well DB, the hardest part is those laptops and cameras, mine go in my "carry-on" wheelie and it weighs a TON :roll: (it also contains my bird book). I use a thermal mug and a Melitta cone for making my coffee. Food and wine you can purchase once you arrive, plenty of advice on the forum about where to shop. Which airport do you fly to? And since you're only packing for summer in KNP, clothes won't be a problem (I'm usually packing for a range of activities and climates, which is always a challenge). HTH as a start, I'm still jetlagged (just arrived home last night), so not good at detail LOL
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RobertT » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:42 am

Book a ticket for missus but leave her behind, then you have a third of luggage but twice weight allowance because of her seat. :thumbs_up: Simple really. :lol: :lol:

nighthawk2

Unread postby nighthawk2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:13 am

Not that big a deal.
We carry 2 collapsible coolers to transport food from the shops outside the Park to the camp we're staying in & then from camp to camp. Well packed coolers will keep food frozen from 7:00 am till 2:00 pm
Keep the bottles of water they hand out on the flight & add additional from soft drinks. Now you have a handy way of making ice to put in your cooler for between camps. Early in the trip the coolers are well packed but as you go along, you'll have to add more "bottles" of ice.
Rule of thumb is you take whatever you can not afford to lose on as "carry-on". This can get heavy with cameras, laptops & binoculars.
Rest, if it gets lost, is easily replaced.
Wine & food you get in the shops by the Park. You may not be able to find your favourite wine but surely you'll find something to your liking.
We have duffle bags for checked bags. 2 of these plus wood easily fit in the boot of a Toyota Corolla. Carry-on bags & food purchases go on in the back seat until you get to camp. Once you get to the first camp, you sort things out. Coolers now go in the back seat, wine box goes on the floor in back; cameras & books the same thing.
Now, if you have a larger vehicle, you're not as cramped.
Depending upon what is in your first aid kit, you may not be able to take it as carry-on. We carry syringes so since 2001, goes in checked bag.
Emergency goodies? What emergency can possibly crop up between CPT & Kruger?
Depending on how you pack your collapsible coolers, doubles up as a picnic basket.
You do this often enough, you get the hang of it. Always make sure you have your own corkscrew as the ones in the chalets don't always work.
We just got back from 16 nights in KTP. That was a challenge only because we had to provision in Upington with little chance of supplementing in the Park. Mind you we had a larger vehicle but that was crammed when we left Upington. Kruger will be a piece of cake.
the nighthawk

PNF
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PNF » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:35 am

Have never done this so not sure about how we would go about packing the "essentials" - for 2 weeks we would take 2 x Chateau Cardboard for a start but that can be bought (along with other food) just outside the park ........ unless you're flying into Skukuza :twisted:
Clothing? Easy - 3 sets day clothing ( 1 on; 1 clean and 1 dirty or not yet dry) and 1 set slightly more smart in case you visit the camp restuarant in the evening. Forget ironing - drip dry and if there are wrinkles? well, no-one is going to notice when you get out of the car after a day's driving.
First aid kit? Take your prescription medication and buy the rest when you get your groceries - keep them in a plastic bag under the passenger seat in the car.
Cameras, lenses and laptops must go as carry-on......amzaing how much can fit into a ladies "handbag" :twisted:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:16 am

If you don't pack all that wine and buy it there, you will have plenty of place for the rest DB :roll: :roll: :lol:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Oh dear oh feathered one you do have a beeeg problem Just too much luggage .
I would say take a train and your car with you and a tent !!!! if your go tourist its R640 pp more expensive for the car but hey leave car at home hire car at station and then off load all your stuff. You can put extra stuff in the guards van . take no food at all . only buy on way to KNP Cooler bag buy a cheapie when you buy groceries . All camps have fridges .... !! We are doing that but taking car with us .
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

Tessa G
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tessa G » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:22 pm

The answer DB is to travel light. :lol:

This last trip of ours, we flew to JHB, spent one night with our daughter and then drove hired car to Kruger next day.

2 laptops in 1 bag, so only 1 bag as hand luggage for me.
All binocs, cameras, chargers, bird books etc in an overnight type bag, which Dave carried as hand luggage.
1 large sort of duffle bag with both our clothes. Travel light! Plus a second smaller bag. 20kg allowance/bag
1 back pack bag that we used as a picnic bag emptied and put in the smaller bag
All items from picnic bag, like plates, knives, etc taken and wrapped with t-shirts etc and put in either case
I took plastic tupperware containers that I use for leftovers and filled these with undies etc.
1 battery operated light for Tamboti, wrapped in clothing into duffle bag
Medicines and stuff for emergencies in 2nd smaller bag.

We were about 6 or 7kg underweight :thumbs_up:

Cooler box borrowed from SIL
Camping chairs borrowed from SIL - yes we were lucky here
All shopping/booze etc done the morning we arrived and then meat frozen and packed into cooler before we left at 4.30am the next morning

No hair dryer, coffee percolaters etc :lol: (I actually love the Nescafe Cappuccino, so its just a matter of opening a sachet)

DB it really worked like a dream, in fact there are things we took, that we are going to take off the list for Dec this year, because they were unnecessary. But then we were lucky in having daughter and SIL to help us out with the odd items.

I have 4 drink bottles that I mix each evening, add bottled juice and then freeze. Next morning before we go for a drive we take 2 of these bottles in the small cooler zip up bag (which also packed flat in the smaller bag). 1 serves as an ice brick, while the other sits in the front with us and slowly defrosts while we drive and drink it as we go. :D

We found it very easy, but you got to scratch off the luxuries.

Lucky you.... :mrgreen:
TR: 11 DAYS BACK HOME IN KRUGER WITH TESSA AND DAVE 2014/2015

December 2015/2016 in Kruger - From Top to Tail
17 - 19 Punda Maria
20 - 22 Shingwedzi
23 - 25 Letaba
26 - 01 Tamboti
02 - 06 Lower Sabie

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Sounds like a whole new way of travelling to Kruger for you DB - I seem to remember you are used to taking everything including the kitchen sink. You will have to do some very careful packing but let me assure you it is very easy, I have only ever flown so it is the only way I know and part of the fun is packing everything and keeping it to 20kg plus my hand luggage - sometimes that is close to 10kg due to the fact that has already been mentioned - things like binos, cameras, laptops etc must be taken as hand luggage. Good luck and happy packing

PNF
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PNF » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:37 am

...........and don't forget an extension cord and multi-plug to charge laptops, cameras, cell phones. If you can't squeeze them in with the laptops then you'll have to buy them when you do the shopping. May be a good idea to take 1 torch with you - you never know when Eishkom will strike :twisted:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:45 pm

I feel for you!! We fill the 4x4 double cab bakkie (pick up) to the brim for just 2 of us for a few days. We pack everything, just minus the kitchen sink. I can't imagine having to pack it all into the weight restrictions of flying.

I, too, wonder how all our overseas friends manage so well. I am sure you will learn a lot from their tips - they do so well!

Having "lost" (stolen) my wonderful bakkie, I am dreading packing for the cricket - will probably still not have a replacement and will have to use hubby's all-wheel SUV.

Good luck DB and Hawk!
KTP May 2015

bert

Unread postby bert » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:03 pm

Dont understand the fuzz :whistle:
I am doing this since 1999.

Laptops and camera goodies go as handluggage, A golden rule
So i do not consider them as packable stuff.

cosmetics (which i do not use :wink: ) are a difficult these days to carry on as handluggage
got to do with the amount of fluids you are allowed to carry on.
So pack the essentials in your suitcase. You can buy what you need outside Kruger

And all food extras buy outside kruger. Even a cheap cooler box.

And if you have full equiped accommodation no need to carry extras

I always pack 4 plates, 4 cups. barbeque tongs and needed cutlery as well. Divided over 2 suitcases.

And the good thing about Kruger is, what you forgot to pack can be bought.

nighthawk2

Unread postby nighthawk2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:18 pm

One thing I forgot to mention, you'll have to plan your food & drink carefully.
You don't want to run out nor do you want any left over. Things like cooking oil, flour etc will always be left over. Drinks though can be tricky. I usually purchase at the store in town & base on a certain number per day & then deduct a six pack. The last couple of days you may end up at the shop purchasing small quantities. Better than guzzling the last night.
the nighthawk

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby NetEk » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Start drinking Whiskey. One bottle lasts you longer and you can use the "mix" from the tap...........:w:

Try going with only one laptop.

Don't take a full bottle of every thing, decant it into a smaller bottle like Shampoo, and some of the meds. If you are that sick that you need a full bottle of cough syrup then you might want to see a Dr. (those sampler bottels work like a bomb).
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am

Thank you so much for ALL these useful tips. I have learnt a lot and made notes! :gflower:

And if you think of any more, please keep them coming ... T - 30 and counting :dance:
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Chit-Chat”