Skip to Content

Did you see that???

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa

Moderator: Crested Val

Inyati

Did you see that???

Unread postby Inyati » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:56 am

:cam: :cam: :cam:
So on various trips to the park, we have often stopped to view a heard of Impala or a troop of Baboons, and behold, suddenly see something completely unexpected at the sighting.. :big_eyes: . Yes, many years of traveling and being taught by trekkers at private reserves, have helped us identify certain noises or calls that may alert to danger for the animals, but it must happen to other visitors, who stop to view the "oh another Impala" :roll: sighting, and experience a Leopard or Lion on the hunt? :hmz:

I would love to hear your special sightings in this type of situation? :dance:

Here is our latest...
At about 6:60 am on the 1st January, we can across a heard of Wildebeest roughly 6km's North of Croc Bridge... They were agitated and pretty alert, but also in the distance... Suddenly we saw why, a pack of about 6 wild dog were on the hunt, chasing them... This led to them being chased deeper into the bush unfortunately, but we had a great sighting of this, until they were out of sight... While viewing this four cars slowed, we did try tell them what we saw. They obviously thought it was "just" Wildebeest, and then proceeded to move on.... Were didn't complain, but wonder how many people miss these opportunities?

What are your experiences with this? :thumbs_up:
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Did you see that???

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:15 pm

One Christmas day I was driving with a friend when we stopped to watch a dwarf mongoose. We watched for a while as it moved around the side of the road, seeming undecided what to do. I then thought it might be upset with us there, and decided to move off.

As I looked ahead before moving off there was a leopard sitting on the opposite side of the road about 10m in front of us! My friend still comments on the incident and the quiet way I said 'leopard' as I saw it.

It crossed the road in front of us and disappeared into the grass too quick for photos, but such a good sighting!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby NetEk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:06 pm

Having a picnic and only when you get up to leave notice the Puffadder laying 3 meters from where you sat.............
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

Inyati

Unread postby Inyati » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:22 pm

NetEk wrote:Having a picnic and only when you get up to leave notice the Puffadder laying 3 meters from where you sat.............

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
I would for sure leave something behind for the puffy.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :redface: :redface: :redface:
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:26 pm

On the back road form Letaba to Olifants, my brother saw something!!
We were all very excited and stopped, only to find it was a rock!!! :redface:

However before we could drive off, a magnificent leopard strolled out from the bush, and walked behind the car. He stopped and turned to look at us for a short while, before walking back into the bush!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Thinking of Africa every day.

Blydeboer

Unread postby Blydeboer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Me and an old friend of mine were driving along on the Sable Dam road, when I saw a baboon in the distance sitting on a cliff on one of the Masorini hills. Being friends from nursery school, we practically grew up in each others houses, so when it was bedtime, my father would say: "Elke bobbejaan op sy krans!" (Every baboon on his cliff!). So I immediately stopped and threw my arm out to point at the baboon to say that's what my father meant! Suddenly this male lion jumped from the grass about 50 meters from the road and started to charge... He stopped just short spraying sand onto our vehicle. I got 50 gray hairs that day, and I wasn't even 20! It turned out to be a mating pair of lions taking a breather in the Mopanis' shade going unnoticed.

Delene D
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Delene D » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Back in2009 we were disappointed not to see any animals on the S100, or at the Gudzani dam where we stopped for coffee and rusks. We decided to move on and decided to see what was at the Gudzani East Water hole. There we saw an Eagle of sorts in the water hole (which was obviously almost empty). I asked SO to stop so I could try to identify the Eagle. And while my nose was in the book a lioness strolled along and lay down on the otherside of the WH. Having the parking area to ourselves we decided to stay and watch, and the lioness moved off. A herd of Zebra came down and a young one nervously drank and rejoined the herd when they all came to the WH to drink. All of a sudden dust and noise and when the dust settled we saw the lioness had a large zebra by the neck and killed it - but only after a long struggle. When the Zebra stood up a few times the lioness dangled over the WH but did not let go. After it was killed the rest of the pride came to her 6 others (females and large cubs) and feasted. A little while later a huge male came to drink water and left again, but his belly was large - he had obviously already eaten. In the right place at the right time, I got it all on video! Very exciting!

If I had recognised the eagle we would have probably moved on and missed it all. That taught us to be patient and wait for things to happen.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby hilda » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:09 am

Stunning experiences here! Delene D, would it be possible to post your video please? I think most 'mites would love to see it. :thumbs_up:
Please support the ONLINE AUCTION HERE Click on Lot nr. for picture of item. Closing date: 10 May 2015!

Return to “Chit-Chat”