Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: What made your hair stand on end?
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Nice stories, LQ. :clap: Good on you for informing them in the most impactful way possible. :clap: :clap: For some reason - and maybe TV is to blame? - people have become increasingly idiotic in their disdain for the dangers of the wild; sadly, the only things that can occur in these situations is tragedy. :(

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Malealea wrote:
I also have a great set of Stories abour rulebreakers... . Anyway What I just said, if somebody is not obeying the rules and something happens e.e. Leopard Attack, nobody should complain. Everybody know that dangerous Game occur.

Its not as simple as that Malelea I agree with you however unfortunately If a human hangs out of a window and a animal injures or kills a human then they will destroy the animal, thats why I get so angry when I see people outside of their cars at sightings it makes soooooo mad!

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 pm 

Hi SL,

I know it. Evenso I will question it, if this one is the right step, as we humans could be a Part of the Food chain aswell. On the other Hand SANP as a Tourism Destination have special Responsibility towards Guests, especially the foreigners (especially Western Europe) don´t have the experience of keeping an eye or read the Animals. However we do have a Triangle conflikt: Nature, Tourism and Insurance. It is all about money and Reputation. Its sad, but I can highly understand SANP if they take action, when an animal "missbehave" meaning shooting. However This matter doesn´t have right or wrong, as I statted we could discuss it in both ways. Anyway thanks for the hint, I haven´t thought about it, but yes you are correckt it isn´t easy.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:13 am 
Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:
Malealea wrote:
I also have a great set of Stories abour rulebreakers... . Anyway What I just said, if somebody is not obeying the rules and something happens e.e. Leopard Attack, nobody should complain. Everybody know that dangerous Game occur.

Its not as simple as that Malelea I agree with you however unfortunately If a human hangs out of a window and a animal injures or kills a human then they will destroy the animal, thats why I get so angry when I see people outside of their cars at sightings it makes soooooo mad!

That is indeed the issue at hand, S-L: animals sadly still occupy only a lower tier of evolution in most people's minds, and so the animal who only does what nature taught it to do is often destroyed with the idea that it is a threat to humans. It isn't: it is the humans that are a threat to it. Yet, most people seem oblivious to this reality, seemingly functioning at a low level of understanding. The people out of their vehicles at a sighting or in a wildlife area are not brave or humorous, as many seem to think (judging from their behaviour or expressions on photos or on site): they are either ignorant or display a general disdain for the very creatures they spend time and effort to look for. These people are anomalies, and increasing awareness and/or effective punishment seems the only way forward in pulling these outliers back towards normality.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hi One with nature,

Yes you are right, we think we are on the highest Level indeed we are weak. We are not strong enough, not quick enough nor have the stamina. Anyway what we have is aour brain nothing more nothing less. And I see the humans still as Part of animals, because if you are watching some behaviors of humans (esspecially Saturday night in a Bar :whistle: ) you will see samilarities to the animals. So I highly doubt it that we have the permission of playing God. and that is the matter. We think we are the best, indeed we are not, even today we are dependent from animals e.G. police dogs.... .

But as I statted that is a very difficult Issue to discuss, Evenso I don´t like it when animals, which attacking an Offender, are getting shot. But I can highly understand the actions taken. It is a kind of a grey Zone.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm 
Malealea wrote:
And I see the humans still as Part of animals, because if you are watching some behaviors of humans (esspecially Saturday night in a Bar :whistle: ) you will see samilarities to the animals.

:funny:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:38 pm 

Evenso it looks very funny, but it has a serious Background. we are not superior, Nature will be stronger, always!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Some great hair stand on end stories here :clap: To me Kruger provides many such moments but every time I stand before the entrance gate I sort of have a "hair stand on end" moment. The opposite is true when exiting :|

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:21 pm 

Sometimes attacks happen when you are doing something innocent - Like showering :shock: !!

I got attacked by a little fat tail scorpion while innocently lathering up in Waterkant 2 , Skukuza on Saturday night! The squeals were apparently sow like (girly and piggy!) according to my wife. :redface:

Luckily it was a small one and it got me on the hard heel skin so not too bad. But when your whole leg starts tingling , you wonder why you don't have the Skukuza doctor's number on fast dial.

Anyway, I caught the little bugger and released him next morning in the garden. I don't think he was even grateful! :sniper:

Note for the future - check the shower floor and shake out the curtain before going in!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Grantmissy wrote:
Some great hair stand on end stories here :clap: To me Kruger provides many such moments but every time I stand before the entrance gate I sort of have a "hair stand on end" moment. The opposite is true when exiting :|

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22