Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can anybody help please?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:47 am 

I need help please!

We have just bought our first caravan (2nd hand 2008 Sprite) and the one thing that bothers me is the fact that the windows don't have some form of mesh so we can open the windows at night without some mozzies or other creepies joining us in the caravan :naughty:

Does anybody have any suggestions how this problem can be overcome? I have spoken to someone at a caravan repair shop and they have told me that sometimes people use Velcro to put the mesh in front on the windows, but apparently that does not last long before the frame pulls away from the caravan because one has to pull the Velcro away to open and close the windows.

PS: I am also looking for a nice and easy recipe to make a bread / vetkoek while camping. Preferably mix dry ingredients at home and just add water later. Keeping in mind that I am the world's worst cook :redface: it has to be VERY simple please.

I would appreciate any help I can get and promise to do a nice TR when we come back from our two weeks in Kruger in August. Camping at Satara for 5 days, then Shingwedz for 5 days and back to Satara for 4 days. cant wait :dance:

:)

Post subject: Re: Can anybody help please?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Okay 2nd one first: I have a great recipe that I use for everything. Bread & vetkoek and just add more water or milk for "fritter" / flap jacks.
1 can creamy style sweet corn
1 can condence milk
500g self raising flour.

mix and bake/fry and enjoy.

You can use the old fashion wire (those white ones with the spring inside that they use for lace curtains) to attach the mesh then you just unhook the wire at the bottom to open the window.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you check out You Tube DIY magnetic insect window screens this is a great cost effective way to make some.
Most DIY stores sell magnetic adhesive tape

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Shushin wrote:
If you check out You Tube DIY magnetic insect window screens this is a great cost effective way to make some.

You are a genius... I never thought of that and have alot of places that I can use it....

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tieroog - I'm not very good with absent caravan panels, but most outdoor shops now sell packets of instant bread / vetkoek mix. It's pretty good. You just need to buy a small bread pan in the case of the bread, mix as per instructions (which is basically the adding of warmish water), let it stand to rise and then onto the fire. Nice and easy :P

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

NetEk wrote:
Shushin wrote:

You are a genius... I never thought of that and have alot of places that I can use it....

Thank you for the comment :gflower: I did chuckle My SO says I would be great on a desert island as I am very resourcefull

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Waterbuck wrote:
Tieroog - most outdoor shops now sell packets of instant bread / vetkoek mix. It's pretty good. You just need to buy a small bread pan in the case of the bread, mix as per instructions (which is basically the adding of warmish water), let it stand to rise and then onto the fire. Nice and easy :P

The cheese bread was especially nice. A bit pricey but worth it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:41 pm 

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

Shushin the idea re magnetic tape is brilliant. I am gonna search on YouTube and then see what I can do before we go away on Thursday (to some resort that is not Sanparks, close to Sun City :( Kruger soooo far if you just have a long weekend)

NetEk that sounds delicious!! Definitely gonna make it this weekend. So if I want vetkoek it is just those ingredients and no milk / water? Sorry if I sound dof, but truth be told I am VERY dof in da kitchen!!

Waterbuck and BB I bought some of those instant stuff long ago, but maybe even that is too advanced for my cooking skills as it was not too nice. Will try again - especially the cheese one, thanks!

Any other camping suggestions will also be welcome. I read more than I contribute here, but I cant say I can remember reading somewhere where people share their brilliant camping inventions / tricks / ideas?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:55 pm 

Tieroog, how exciting!! We have been avid caravaners for many many years and love it.

We always have just the wire and net curtain. Tip:- remember to close windows when you are not in the caravan, monkeys or baboons will be in your caravan within the blink of an eye if you walk away or go on a drive and leave the windows open.

I cannot recall if there is a topic for camping tips - certainly not a very recent one. Camping is discussed in various topics, but to have a specific topic is a great idea. Please start it Tieroog if you would like to!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 pm 

Thanks, DinkyBird for the hint about always keeping the windows closed when you are not at "home". Hubby thinks I am silly, but I am saying unless I can get a way to close the windows with mesh and be sure nothing is getting in, the windows will be shut at all times!

We have been camping with a tent a couple of times and I never worried about mozzies, creepies and crawlies (and what do snakes do?), so don't know why I am now so paranoid? I guess it is because I kept the tent zipped closed at all times, so when I got into bed, I knew it was just hubby and myself and no uninvited guests. But then I keep reminding myself that the permanent tent at Tamboti had huge gaps and that was not an issue... :doh:

Where do you suggest I start the topic? Here in ChitChat or is there a more appropriate forum?