Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camping Equipment Owned By Serious Outdoor Wildlife Lovers
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My 3 way fridge is labelled Zero , really is effective , though at 660 x 500 x 660mm high it is a bit bulky due to the thick walls - around 10 cm - plenty insulation ?
I need at least a hatchback type of car to transport it , it does not fit into the average luggage trailer .

The gazebo and tent are both labelled Howling Moon , seem to be of excellent quality , withstood a torrential downpour at Shingwedzi in Dec 2008 with barely a drop or 2 of water entering the tent . Both are priced fairly highly and are heavy , but I assume they will last well .
I consider a paraffin (kerosene for our american members) lantern or candles to be indispensable - noisy gas illumination / hairdyers / and other electric pumps are not allowed on my campsite .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I have mentioned it before, but my tent is also a Howling Moon 3mx3m tent and it has given me 10 years of good service. After every camping trip I pitch it on my lawn and clean it properly. An absolute no-no is to pack your tent away while it is still wet, and I am not talking about packing it up to go home, but after you arrived at home.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
What about a medical kit? Who of you take a full medical kit along when camping in Kruger, or just a couple of Disprins and Elastoplast.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I take a small kit with some gauze, gloves, facemask and burnshield.
I'm not qualified/competent to administer anything else.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:13 pm 

I carry a basic 1st aid kit in my car, which has come in handy for insect bites and the one time when I slammed my finger in the car door at Berg-en-Dal.

I use a hand pump when I have my inflatable mattress but I sometimes rough it with just a fold up foam mattress. No sweat or effort but a little uncomfortable.

I never travel with a hair dryer or a mirror. Vehicle rear view mirror is sufficient or the ones in the ablutions if not placed too high. I have no need for a radio although I occasionally use my phone for internet access.

I do like light and normally use a hiking gaz lamp,a larger gas lamp and head lamp but I don't carry a spot light.

I always travel with my own braai.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is what I call my church . Here I teach friends the value of being totally quiet . The following view then has added value .
A short amble to the edge of the campsite for this view . Total silence rewards one with such experiences .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:20 pm 

Here is a quick pic of our camping setup:

Latest addition is a 60l Snowmaster Fridge / Freezer, it works like a bomb! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 am 

Forumites, this is a great thread and I'm hoping to learn a lot more from the experienced campers amongst you. My SO and I are keen Kruger park visitors and we always try and go at least twice a year, sometimes even 3 times a year. Now we want to try camping, this will enable us to stay for longer periods at a cheaper cost. Are there any links you can provide that would show what equipment we would need to take on a camping trip? Tents, gazebo's, tables, chairs, anything and everything you can think of that would be useful.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My advice is to first make sure that you enjoy camping before buying a lot of equipment , a lot of people kit themselves out fully and do not use the equipment after the first 2 or 3 usages , these pseudo outdoor types are a source of many bargains - I bought a hardly used 3 x 3 m dome tent that sells for around R3500 for a mere R1500 .

Once you are sure that camping is up your street , buy from dedicated camping equipment shops and not department stores for good quality equipment that will last if you want regular long term usage of it .

To start with I would recommend you snoop around a few campsites in KNP and see what the typical camper has on show .
Campers are often happy to share knowledge - I now have a rather bulky 3 way fridge which was donated to me over a fireside chat after a few Red Hearts .

Last edited by ndloti on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:50 pm 

TheunsH wrote:
Rooies wrote:
Another thing, can someone please explain to me what is the use of a spare wheel cover, where the spare wheel is attached to the back of some 4X4 vehicles, like the Prado?

Rooies, I think it's for cosmetic purposes! :hmz:

Hi Chuck...oops Ndloti :redface: ...yes, I also prefer the citronella oil for my Dietz as well. December when we were deep in the bush I have used paraffin and the glass was smoked pitch black! This was due to a VERY windy and stormy night and I had to turn the lamp high due to flame blow-out problems. I don't think citronella oil causes a black smoke but I'm not so sure! :hmz:

Herewith a pic of my lantern hard at work:

I have some of those parafin lanterns and have used both citronella oil and parafin. I agree that the oil smells less offensive than parafin but I have to admit that I don't believe it works to keep the bugs at bay. It does have some benefit, but IMHO, a very small one. The thing I found with the oil (citronella) at Balule last time I camped there, is that the wick on my lantern burned far more quickly than when using parafin. I think one lamp used one wick in ome night. I thought it was the oil level that had dropped too low but this was in fact not the case. I still have a citronella candle and use it all the time just in case it does work.

In my kit, I have a 3x3M Bron Free dome canvass tent. One 6 foot folding canteen table, chairs, sleeping bags, blanets, duvet and pillows. I also purchased on of those folding queen size beds with an inflatable matress. It is uber comfy and works well.

Unfortunately Ndloti, I also have an electric pump to inflate the mattress. It takes 90 seconds. (Timed it) I also only use it during the day when most people are out game driving. It will not be used at night due to noise levels.

I have gas bottles, skottel and gas light (100CP). Torches and spotlight (specifically only got half million CP as it is adequate for any application I may need it for and is unlikely to burn the hide off an animal anything more than 10 meters away. Also have one of those small camping Gaz gas lights.

I have a pretty comprehensive Medical kit and tend to use cooler boxes rather than a fridge freezer, although that is more outof budgetary constraints than anything else.

To lug all this around I use a trailer.

I do not allow my SO to use a hair dryer because she spends too much time doing her hair at around gate opening time.

I do subscribe to the make as little noise as possible theory, once set up and do not make excessive noise setting up. The matress pump is the noisiest part of everything. For this, I make no appologies. I am able to blow up the mattress, but fail to see why I should if I can pump it in less than 1/4 of the time with a little battery power. More time to st down and adjust to camp life after the hectic rush of the city.

I agree with the comments about buying what is useful as opposed to what is fancy. A lot of time you see something advertised and you think I need one of those. And then you never use it.

I also have an electric kettle which I will use in camps not supplying hot water like KNP. A round plastic dish, I use to carry my dishes to the communal kitchen where I do the washing up. Also have a low energy (yellow) light on a stand which I use when there is electricity and only while preparing food. Once done, this get's switched off.

I use rubber mallets if I can't push the tent pegs inby hand and a metal one only if the rubber one doesn't work because the ground is too hard.

Once everything is set up, the table goes next to the trailer with all the junk packed inside. (Tent bags, gas bottles, torches etc.) Cooler boxes also go inside the trailer. This is more for ease of access and keeping monkeys and baboons out of my food supply. Going for a game drive / walk around the camp is a simple matter of close and lock the lid of the trailer and off we go.

I really do sig my camping, especially in KNP. Planning a Balule / Tsendze and Punda Maria trip next year. With some luck Ndloti, you will be out of camp when I inflate my bed. :tongue:

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We used to do the inflatable mattress and 12 V air pump thing. The thing always deflates after a day or two and then you have to pump again. I got us some stretchers the other day and they're great, pretty comfy if used with a thin foam mattress and set up in a few seconds. You even get ones with a built in foam mattress but the tend to be quite pricy.

At the smaller rustic camps we tend to use as little light and be as quiet as possible. In season at Skukuza you're wasting your time trying to be quiet in order to hear the bush sounds.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've found stretchers to be too big to pack, too heavy to lug around and too much of a pain to set up (there are different types though).

My new (1 year old) inflatable stays inflated just fine for a couple of days.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BunnyHugger wrote:
Even with camping, if you have the right toys, you can play the game. :thumbs_up:

Of course. Unfortunately, I'm at the beginning of my buying career (don't have my own tent yet).

But as we were discussing earlier in the thread, often we have a lot of stuff we don't use. Of course one of my 'gripes' with camping is the time taken to set up. One of the others is how much stuff is required (tent, mattress, chair, table etc etc). I'm often tempted to simplify, feel like I'm carrying too much 'baggage' around.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
My camp bed/stretcher takes up little more room in the car than a fold up chair. And it has adjustable feet to keep it level - or even raise its height to make it easy to get on and off. It is like a recliner with top and bottom that fold out. I do make sure I put an ammo box under head and foot though as otherwise it can tip up!

Sounds expensive ej

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Actually it was not too bad.....around R700. It is nice and wide and long too. Made by Natural Instincts - seen them at most camp shops since. Pretty robust too - I have used it for at least 4 years, and my mother has used it too -and she can break anything by looking at it (you know....try once, twice, thrice - force!)

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next