Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid things you have done in the Park.
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 pm 

I turn 30 this year so i've been going to the KNP for 30 years. My parents were allways super strickt and you had to sit super still and be very quiet in the car to not chase away the animals so whenever i go to Kruger with my sis and her two kids it's allways a very diffirent experience.
There's at least 5 people in the Nissan Patrol and several packets of chips and other food substances that make very loud crinkly sounds so when ever we come across something nice there's about 5 minutes of the car rocking backwards and forwards till everybody can see, paper crinkling noises and me going SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH louder than anything.... ja not very popular...

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My FIL drives a Landrover and the thing was giving us trouble (as Landrovers do)... anyhooo... It didn't get enough petrol into wherever it's supposed to get it - so we could only do a top speed of 40 (which is fine for KNP but when going back home - that would not do) - So the first day of a long weekend he decides it needs to be fixed... we opened the bonnet and stared at the engine for a good 5 mins... neither of us really knowing what we're looking at!!!

My FIL decides it must be the carburator (he always thinks it's the carburator - and I mean ALWAYS)... so he unscrewes the top and duely drops one of the nuts IN the carburator. Thank you very much - now we're stuck!

Luckily we were able to fish the nut out after about 2 hours - who knows how long we could have been sitting there!!!

Moral of the story - don't let a beancounter and a surveyor fix your Landy!!!

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:01 pm 

OK i'll fess up !
Satara - beautiful early evening went for a 5 minute walk and ended up on the front lawn near the webcam. decided to stay and eat & quench my thirst.
did not have anyting to light my way back - got lost! and had no means of phoning those who knew where I should be, and being the ever obedient rule observer and not wanting to annoy fellow campers did not yell but raher crept around for about an hour.

DONT WORRY.... BE HAPPY!

Skukuza 19-25 May

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We were camping at BnD when a storm hit. When I saw the approaching storm, I tied my tent with a piece of rope to the tow bar of my vehicle to prevent it from being blown away. After the storm we took a couple of Riekie Louw's (Richeleu Brandy) to calm the nerves and forgot about the rope.

The next morning we woke up early to be first at the gate and did not see the rope. So we drove off with the tent in tow. It was just stretchers and chairs and camping equipment flying around. "Lekker dof"

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:06 pm 

This is rather a funny story than a stupid one:

Years ago we stayed I think in Pretoriuskop. There were a lot of monkeys there and I had a great idea. So I went to the shop and bought a green plastic snake. Every time the monkeys came near I would thrust the snake forward and the monkeys would run away. After that I put a piece of 'beskuit' right next to the snake to see if the monkey could resist the temptation. The monkeys would come closer and closer, but everytime I moved the snake they would run away. Eventually they weren't scared anymore and took the piece of beskuit.
I didn't try this again because you aren't actually allowed to feed the monkeys...

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:41 pm 

louis dreyer wrote:
This is some thing that happen to my SO. We both smoek and have the good habbit of always having a bottle of water in the car for putting out the stompies"but". This specific morning she was letting me have it for driving to fast then to slow. ask her for the stompie bottle to put out my stompie, at that moment we ran into lions next to the road. I was having a cold one watching the lions. My SO in her moment of weakness mistaken the open valpre water bottel in her hand as her bottel of water and took a good gulp of cold water with some Winston stompies in it. I had to drive of quickly because the other visitors wouldn't have think i was nice to them screaming of laughter. Needles to say it was all my fault. According to her. It took me a while that evening to clean the front and side windows.

Hi, what SO did not tell you is that it happened twice in one day, The other time was while watching a leopard resting in a tree while we try to get a good spot for a photo!

Why can't I be where my is?

West Rand Honorary Ranger Member

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

First one.

We stopped for a leg stretch at Nwamanzi lookout opposite the Olifants turn off, and I took my binos and got out of the car, noticing vervets. I kept half an eye on them, and after surveying the scene, returned to the car, but I was beaten to it by a brazen monkey that jumped in my window, with Jerry sitting in the passenger seat, and went to the back. I opened the back door to give it a klap (maybe not too clever!) and it grabbed an egg off the shelf and escaped through my window.

I should have known better.

The next one is priceless.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Speaking of naughty vervets BB (while we are waiting for your next story) I have one.

A few years back the family went to Kruger (because we never do that) and my little nephew came along. He was only 4 or 5 at the time. We had been promising him some pancakes at Nkuhlu if he was a good boy.

So we arrive at the picnic site and the monkey's are very naughty and have taken someone's container. In a flash he opened it, and enjoyed the sugar, discarded the tea bag and might have even enjoyed a biscuit or two. I was taking pictures and Klystron was off to get the promised pancakes. Well, little Nick must have been taking all this in and decided there was no ways he was going to give up his hard earned pancakes to some monkey.

We sit down and the pancakes arrived and within seconds Nicky was off, craming them into his mouth in record time, keeping one eye on the job at hand, and the other on the monkey. It was less than a minute and both pancakes were crammed into his mouth, cheeks bolging, but they did not get one crumb.

I cannot go to Nkuhklu without thinking of him and his high speed pancake eating.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

LMHO Jock..

There is no way that I cram a buff pasty. I savour it all and any monkey that comes near me be warned, you might get forkstabbed!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Now up to Afsaal.

On the way I saw a bottle on the side of the road.

I stopped next to it and asked Jerry to open his door, bend down and pick it up. He couldn’t reach it, so I had a good look round, and got out of the car, picked it up and put it into our litter bag.

As I rounded the car, I heard an engine and a bakkie crested the rise. As it drew nearer, I realised it was ‘worst case scenario’. :

Here I was picking up after some git who doesn’t care, and now I am confronted by the police! Oh Boy! Ek is in die ….. modder. Think fast.

Before sergeant Vilakazi could say anything, I was off about having to pick up litter thrown by….. and I did it in a very angry tone.

Sgt V said that the lions don’t care why you are out of the car – very funny – and I promised I would not get out to pick up litter anymore. He drove off .

I thought I was a definite candidate for the 'bracelets' and a ride in the back of the van.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This wasn't all that bright........

Our last night in Kruger (Skuks), and I light the braai. Wood. A nice fire going.The metal base piled high with burning wood. I look next to me and I see there are another few pieces of wood left in the bag. So as I am about to chuck those pieces on, the SO, tells me to leave the pieces for the next person. I recon the cleaning staff will just bin it, so I am going to use it all. It's our final night, so we might as well have a good braai. So on those pieces go. Now slight prob that I hadn't thought of was that the braai was on a slope. And as the pile got higher, the braai tipped over. Burning logs everywhere! Thank goodness it was a sandy area.

But now I had to put the braai back the right way up. And then use the tongs and braai fork to get the burning logs back into the braai, without burning myself in the process.

Needless to say I got an absolute earful from the SO - she went on for ages. But she didn't really need to. I felt like a total idiot.

Thanks
Yoda

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Have you ever heard of a husband ever doing anything right yoda?

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BB,

Thanks for the support....man to man.

Well, my SO really had no room to critisize me......

Our first morning of the trip, and SO says to me, not to worry, she will drive and I can concentrate on my photography. Ok, no prob. We drive on the Skakuza/LS road. We are both quite quiet, I am scanning the bush from the passenger seat, and I am assuming SO is doing the same on her side. There is a bend in the road, and don't ask my how, or why, but I sensed the car is not going with the bend! I pull up the handbrake from the passanger side mm before we end up in a ditch. SO had fallen asleep at the wheel! She blamed it on the fact that she had woken up so early. I wikkel into the drivers seat and do the driving for the rest of the drive.

But it didn't end there. For the afternoon drive she says, no prob, not tired after the mid day nap, she will drive again...... and falls asleep again on the same stretch of road!

Needless to say, that was the last time she drove in Kruger.
To this day she still blames the early morning!

Thanks
Yoda

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 am 

well I haven´t read every Post but lot of posts are very funny--> well done man to get stuck and be cuaught by the police is my highlight!

Hmm I can´t remember. Well the stupies thing I have done was in Sirheni. Sirheni has a waterhole i was cought in the sight. A big herd of Elphants just vistied us. I lean against the fence, im telling u I was flying. The Power of the electric wire is absolutly amatzing. I have not realise what happened, but I was sitting on my bottom and asked my self why the hell I´m sitting here around. I wuoldn´t recommend to try that as well its very painfull and an hour after that incidents I just fall dizzy.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Malealea, something similar happened to me in one of the parks in Kenya.
I was convinced power had been turned off and found out differently when leaned over and touched the fence.
Best part was seeing the guard on duty laughing his head off and trying to not show it, serves me right!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next