Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good Samaritans
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is pleasing to hear that "a plan can be made" !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:26 pm 

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Great topic....
It really is great to hear about people helping each other out...

What I really enjoy about the park is when you are travelling along, and people stop next to you, ask how you are doing, and what you have seen up the road etc... Doesn't happen as often as it used to, but it is great when you "exchange" with other visitors....

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm 

In the 80's we had a radiator water pipe burst, which was sort of fixed at Satara AA. The next morning we set off for Skukuza to get it properly fixed, but there was still a leak that squirted water into the distributor! Needless to say we had to ask passing motorists to send a message from Satara AA to Skuk AA. (no cell phones in those days!) Eventually the tow truck arrived, and as it was an automatic car it had to go on a trailer. We sat in the car on the trailer and were driven down to Skuk in style! Also a much better view form up there! The driver was very happy to stop for anything we wanted, and even drove the detour to Leeupan!

I know it was his job, but I think he enjoyed the trip as much as we did. Much better than being stuck under a car in Skukuza anyway!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Obviously the cars of the 80's and overheating went hand in hand.

Also somewhere in the 80's - I must've been about 12 or 13 ... we drove this ugly blue Mercedes - no not the hi-tech ones of these days - that was an old shabby liitle job... anyway as it turns out we burst a waterpipe between Skukuza and Pretoriuskop. The problem was that doesn't matter how much water you put in - a couple of km's further it's all leaked out again. So we emptied all our drinking water, all the ice from the cooler box - my dad had one of those old water bottles you hang in front of the car in a hesian type bag - you guys still remember those?... well we emptied that as well. So we limp towards Pretoriuskop - going 50pkh on the uphills and freeing the car on the flats and downhills (switched off).

Anyway, seems that we're just not going to make the camp with our "reserves" of water and we're going to be late at the gate to boot. Next thing a speedcop jumps out in front of us just to REALLY make my dads day. He immediately realised that we had car problems, judging by the streams of H2O running out from behind the front wheel. He gladly emptied all his drinking water plus his ice from his cooler box into our car and even radioed camp to be on the lookout for us as we might not make it.

I was only 12 years old - but that act of kindness sticks with me till this day.

PS: We just made the camp - albeit about 30mins late. Luckily we didn't get any fine and the speedy checked up on us that night to see if we made it ok.

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 pm 

Snap Nungu !

Our car also happened to be a dark blue Merc :hmz:

BG

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So bushguy you got lots of help from a samaritan too???

Last edited by Dotty on Fri May 28, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:31 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Such wonderful stories shared here, I'm quiet sure there's many more to share by the 'mites that we don't know of. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:49 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
As Spookie says, what wonderful stories here.

I am also sure that there must be more great stories - on the similar lines - for mites to share here.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:02 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Nungu, not old enough to remember the hesian water bottles :wink: however, I think they should bring them back - was a superbly simple, but effective, way of keeping water cool. I do remember, though, that in those days the people were more apt to assist. :dance: :dance: City people have, in many ways, become a little selfish; although the country folk still stop at any opportunity to see how one's doing!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:39 am 

We had a really good Samaritan who completely saved our trip to KNP last July before we even made it into the park. On arrival at J'burg airport we went to pick up our hire car and through a complete misunderstanding between UK and SA car definitions we had ended up ordering a car that was far too small to actually get our luggage plus us in. We'd booked a people carrier and expected to get something with 3 rows of seats plus a decent sized boot space. We got a Toyota verso! The salesperson calmy told us to upgrade it would cost us £3000 (30,000 rand plus!) for the month! This just about floored us and there was no way we could afford it!

We had been in the office for about 30 minutes trying to decide what we could do when the deputy manager who had welcomed us as we arrived said he was surprised we hadn't got going yet. We explained to him what had happened and he said he'd see what he could do. Several calls later he came back and presented us with the keys to a VW Kombi and told us there was no extra charge - just to make sure we enjoyed our trip to his wonderful country!

We were completely amazed and so grateful. I have never known anything like this happen in the UK. I could not thank Europcar enough. Isn't it lovely to know that the magic of Kruger reaches all the way down to the big city!!

Gemma x

Unread postPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think we underestimate the amount of people who have an incredible amount of good in them, and so much to share, In the cities unfortunately, maybe people are reluctant to be good samaritans for fear of ther own safety. Perhaps in the parks, it becomes more apparent.

I love to play in God's Playground

Unread postPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:58 pm 

terryc wrote:
I think we underestimate the amount of people who have an incredible amount of good in them, and so much to share, In the cities unfortunately, maybe people are reluctant to be good samaritans for fear of ther own safety. Perhaps in the parks, it becomes more apparent.

Such true words spoken terryc :thumbs_up:

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:54 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Gemma, nice story. :thumbs_up:

Terry, that is indeed the truth, I feel: people are afraid they will be robbed or hurt by helping someone who may be posing as someone in need to lure them.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wonderful stories!! :clap: :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I find fellow visitors to Kruger in general to be more “neighbourly” than what a person usually encounter outside of the Kruger gates. Our camera was once left behind at the Mooiplaas picnic spot :| and a visitor took care of it and when we met in the Letaba shop later that day and it was returned to us :clap:. He said he would have handed the camera in at Reception if he did not meet us again. I hope visitors to Kruger will always have that spirit of goodwill towards fellow visitors :thumbs_up: .