SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:55 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
Just received my latest copy of the WILD in Africa magazine and under the WILD books section the feature a STRUIK publication called "Attracting Wildlife to your Garden: in southern Africa".

Maybe something for those of you who have a garden to attract wildlife too. I live in a flat so no garden for me :cry:

If hou have a balcony you can attract butterflies and birds during the winter. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I know I anger a lot of people by staying in the Lowveld :twisted: , but just to add to this thread, the farm where I stay, I have recorded over 100 bird species, snakes such as african rock python, mozambique spitting cpbra, house snake, vine snake and spotted bush snake, rainbow skinks and blue head agamas, numerous geckos, bats in our house every night (most welcome at keeping the mozzies down). On the mammal front I have recorded bushbuck, grey duiker, red duiker, kudu, side striped jackal, civet, large spotted genet, white tailed mongoose, dwarf mongoose, vervet monkey, chacma baboon and thick tailed bush baby and of course the never ending rodent explosion :evil:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Plenty of birds and some interesting ones are:

Red-billed wood hoepoe
Diderick cuckoo - summer
Barn owl (never saw it, but do hear it often)
Burchell's coucal
Red-breasted cuckoo - summer
Woodland kingfisher - summer
White-bellied sunbird - winter
Amehyst sunbird - winter

Other animals are:

Brown house snakes (dozens)
Bushbabies
and sometimes a slender mongoose
and there used to be rats :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just returned from a visit to KZN. Drove up to St Lucia where you're warned in town of hippos and crocs crossing your path! :lol: Imagine living there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kleinmond (where I live) is situated in the Kogelberg Biosphere. Our house is in a relatively new area of the town and we live in the very back street with no other houses behind us. Actually the area behind our house is a protea farm on the slopes of the mountain - a real fynbos paradise.

Although not part of my garden, I can watch the whales from my bedroom and lounge. But in the garden we are fortunate to see the following quite often:

Grey rhebuck (only during the summer months as they are up in the mountains during winter).
Common duiker (nice to see, but forget about growing roses with them around)
Small-spotted genet (not a favourite of my neighbour who is a keen pigeon enthusiast as he had lots of losses already due to genets)
Striped mouse (attracted by the bird food)

Birds seen in the garden are:

Blackheaded Heron Hadeda
Jackal Buzzard Steppe Buzzard
Yellowbilled Kite Cape Francolin
Helmeted Guineafowl Crowned Plover
Blacksmith Plover Spotted Dikkop
Rock Pigeon Redeyed Dove
Laughing Dove Spotted Eagle Owl
Marsh Owl Speckled Mousebird
Greater Striped Swallow Forktailed Drongo
Whitenecked Raven Cape Bulbul
Olive Thrush Spotted Prinia
Fiscal Flycatcher Cape Wagtail
Common Fiscal Shrike Bokmakierie
Redwinged Starling European Starling
Cape Sugarbird Malachite Sunbird
Lesser Doublecollared Sunbird House Sparrow
Cape Weaver Pintailed Whydah

Although not in my garden - I quite often see (from my garden) and hear African Fish Eagle and Blue Crane in the sky. During the summer months Fierynecked Nightjars can also be heard at night.

Olive House Snake and Spotted Skaapsteker are very often seen. Although I have never found them in my garden, my neighbours came upon Puffadder, Cape Cobra, Boomslang and Mole Snake in their gardens.

Fortunately the baboons have not come to our part of the town yet. But they are a big nuisance in some parts of town. Some people are forced to make their doors and windows baboon proof.

We definitely also have leopard in the mountain behind us. Nobody has seen a leopard yet, but two of my neighbours had photos taken as proof (and got confirmation from the local nature conservationist) of leopard spoor in their gardens.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

got 2 love em

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
When I sit in my garden and close my eyes, I can pretend that I am in KNP and hear the lions roaring.What I actual hear is the roaring of red deers because it is rutting season at the moment.The roar of red deers is very simular to the roar of a lion. Very impressive. This evening, I saw a fox, 14 wildpigs and I heard the roar of red deers and the call of a tawny owl while I was sitting in my lazy wildlife spotting chair in my garden drinking a Amarula.....or two, or..... :tongue:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have seen 78 birds, while standing inside our house. These include black oystercatchers, red-necked francolin, crowned hornbill, pied kingfisher, brown-hooded kingfisher, three-banded plovers, southern boubou, white-breasted cormorant, guinea fowl, spotted eagle owl, steppe buzzard etc. etc.

The only mammals we have regularly in our garden are small grey mongoose. We very occasionally have grysbok.

We see humpback whales from the front windows and occasionally southern rights and either bryde or minke whales (hard to tell). Also schools of dolphins (not sure which type).

We have seen seals close by (but not from the house) and my hubbie has seen otters.

fevertree wrote:
I know I anger a lot of people by staying in the Lowveld :twisted:

You do :!: I would love to stay near KNP, but I would miss the sea.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A year ago we had a buizerd in the garden!! I've made a photo, but I don't know where he is :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
lam - you must have a really good view of the sea and the shore from your house?

We live on a rocky coast, fabulous view, but not perfect as there is a narrow 40km/h road between us and the sea. I have to confess that the oystercatchers and the three-banded plovers were seen with a telescope. :roll:

We have no-one behind us and there is a small conservancy at the back.

All that and we are only 10kms away from Port Elizabeth's 2nd largest shopping complex. The best of all worlds. I really can't complain. :dance:

Last edited by lam on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

lam wrote:
DinkyBird wrote:
lam - you must have a really good view of the sea and the shore from your house?

We live on a rocky coast, fabulous view, but not perfect as there is a narrow 40m/h road between us and the sea. I have to confess that the oystercatchers and the three-banded plovers were seen with a telescope. :roll:

We have no-one behind us and there is a small conservancy at the back.

All that and we are only 10kms away from Port Elizabeth's 2nd largest shopping complex. The best of all worlds. I really can't complain. :dance:

What lam didn't mention were the more "crawly" things we have - IN THE HOUSE! Scorpions, boomslangs, multitudes of spiders and the most impressive collection of cockroaches anyone has ever come across (one of the joys of living at the coast). My nephews girlfriend was bitten by a scorpon when visiting us some time ago and the when he came to ask us if he should take her to a doctor, lam gave no sympathy or advice but simply bogged on him from a dizzy height for killing the offending scorpion.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
A scorpion can bite? :shock: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Apparently there are crimson-breasted shrikes in our new suburb. Have not seen them yet. It was nice to hear the dikkops call last night. I realy miss them since we have moved. The frogs are also going crazy! Hope to spot a barnowl soon.

Where we live now it is about 5kms to a lionpark, had it not been for traffic noise we would have heard them roaring. And it is about 7kms from A nature reserve. One sometimes gets to spot a fisheagle, verreaux's or martial riding the thermals in the suburbs. A bushpig was shot not too long ago in a suburb bordering ours.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Bokmakierie
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have a new, very vocal and active resident in my garden. He/she is a juvenile Bokmakierie, I think, but what puzzles me is, I was not aware that a fully grown bird(size wise) could stil have juvenile plumage :?, and if so, how long for?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

With larger birds in particular it takes a while to reach adult plumage. Even medium sized birds like terns have 1st, 2nd and 3rd year plumage.

Juvenile Bokkies are missing the strong black colouring but will be the same size as adults.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BTW, it looks like you have an ink-berry tree in the background (a proclaimed noxious weed). We also have one in our garden and didn't know that it was what is was until a last month. I know we should take it out but attracts so many birds. What's the ethically correct option ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next