Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Your Alias
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:07 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I saw some familiar Aliases that people are using...Question, why did u choose your specific alias.

I'll start - If I don't see the wild now and then, then my heart won't be able to bear it. The wild is like the blood that flows through my heart.

PS: TwoBoy - you still setting snares??

Post subject: Alias
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
The "wildtuin" is my passion! And I am a man thus "wildtuinman".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bwana is a Swahili term for "sir" IIRC. I picked it up in some old books about safaris in Africa. Maybe a bit colonialistic, but no harm intended.lt is just a nice sounding word, and is relevant to the subject we talk about here. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mine's not actually a park reference (does that get me banned from the forum?), but actually a reference to my other passion - poker. A poker tournament on the banks of the Crocodile River - now there's an idea.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I've always just used my name - can't see the point of aliases, or people getting worked up in forums - after all, we are just a stream of bits coming through each others modems/lan cards, unless some of us really hit it off and then meet up. I've had a couple of meets with guys from programming forums - it would have been really odd if we'd spent the day calling each other by aliases :D

That said, there are a couple of nice aliases being used here (wild@heart being one)... maybe I'll get into it one day!

Post subject: Aliases
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:34 pm 

I have been a keen birder for many years and a Shikra is such a neat little raptor. Thought it sounded good.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:02 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I use the nick DuQues for around 10~12 years now on the internet and before that on the bulletinboards.
It was given to me by my exgirlfriend, who simply put two parts of my name together. Du from Duco, and Qu from Quanjer. DuQues (pronounced as dukes).

It sort of stuck, and there is only person in the world that I've met using the same name, a Mexican (? I think so at least). In his case it's his real name.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My husband calls me Krokodile - has done ever since I got snappy with him once! Since his online name was Tokoloshe when I met him (we met in a chat room), it kind of fitted. Tok and Krok goes quite well together, I think.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
I use the nick DuQues for around 10~12 years now on the internet and before that on the bulletinboards.
It was given to me by my exgirlfriend, who simply put two parts of my name together. Du from Duco, and Qu from Quanjer. DuQues (pronounced as dukes).

It sort of stuck, and there is only person in the world that I've met using the same name, a Mexican (? I think so at least). In his case it's his real name.

I have wondered about your nickname DuQues, given your location - you ARE the brother of Arnoud yes? If so, please give Arnoud and Marieka (spelling?) my fond regards!

I hope to see them (and you maybe?) in May (27th - 29th ) as I will be attending a meet in Mierlo. Do I remember correctly that Arnoud and Marieka live not too far away from there?

My own nickname (originally Tabatha) came about on the first occasion that I registered on an internet site (Africam) and, being totally green about these matters, I panicked when asked for a log-in name - did I use my real name and expose myself or what? I looked around the room while I thought about this and my glance settled upon my dearly beloved cat Tabatha. He (yes it was a male cat - don't ask!) jumped up onto my lap and so I typed in his name. Over the years my friends on Africam and WildLifeCampus shortened it to Tabs.... and now even some members of my family call me by this name if my Africam/WLC friends are around!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bushbaby is what I am and how I'm raising my daughter - I think Theroux said "The euphoric and deepest sadness is Africa..." I just love this place! Oh, and Jambo, Bwana! Isn't it time to call the Toto to bring on the pink gin!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I choose Ngala, Meaning "lion" in Shangaan, just because I like lions :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:21 am 

Alias is pretty simple. Cerulean because it's one of my favorite colours and wildfire, well needed something to round it off.

Makes for a unique logon to most sites though. Seems not many people think of that combination.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:45 am 

Nhlathini Umntwana is Bushbaby in Zulu - which we have named our very small old caravan.

And as the rule goes - all vehicles being female - so am I!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Santie said :
Quote:
None for me! Couldn't think of a suitable one.

OK Bwana, you're right, my sense of humour would probably have given me away in the end. :D I hated my name plastered all over in capital letters, which was an error I made when registering the 1st time. Eventually I found a suitable alias but didn't know how to change the original. I found a simple solution, and got it done. SO:

Guinea Pig I am from now on. I have a GP as a pet. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My alias means "giraffe" in Swahili. Bwana suggested it to me because he knows that i really like giraffes. They are so cute and very graceful! That is why my avatar is a giraffe as well! :D

The world belongs to the energetic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next