Skip to Content

Share your Most Memorable Moment of 2014 with us!

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa

Moderator: Crested Val

Dupacc
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Share your Most Memorable Moment of 2014 with us!

Unread postby Dupacc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:09 pm

At the beginning of a new year, one is often invited to think back on the year that was and dream of the year ahead. So when our pastor challenged us to do so, one of the things that came to mind immediately was our planned visit to KNP in 2015 (Lower Sabie in Feb :dance: ) and the brilliant sighting we had in March 2014.

It was a cloudy, rainy Thursday afternoon when SO and I decided to take a leisurely drive from our LST in Lower Sabie down to Croc Bridge via the main, tarred road. The occasional drizzle hampered visibility to some extent. Along the route we were blessed with sightings of impala, kudu, elephant, waterbuck, buffalo, as well as many rollers, raptors and bee-eaters.

We were about 10 km from Croc Bridge when we encountered a road block/ KNP-traffic jam. All the people were looking excited and pointed towards something in the distance. It was 3 cheetahs. They were moving in a Southerly direction and I decided to pass the traffic jam and get a clear view. As I passed I noticed a heard of impala and I knew we were in for a thrill.

The cheetah-mom and two adolescent cubs were moving at a steady pace, but then changed behaviour – where the cubs were playing and chasing each other, they suddenly hid themselves and the mom went into stalking mode. I was in the perfect position when she exploded in a blistering chase. I have never seen any animal moving that fast before! Impala scattered in all directions. After 4 or 5 seconds, the cheetah caught the impala-ewe, but did not kill it. Instead she called her cubs which miraculously appeared from the thicket. She let go of her prey and the cubs ran after it, catching it and eventually killing it.

We were so blessed to be witness to this!

Here are a couple of pics.

Please share your MMM (Most Memorable Moment) of 2014 with us on the forum? And shall we say we will use no more than 3 Photos in order not to make it a Travel Tale?
Dupacc

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Share your Most Memorable Moment of 2014 with us!

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:49 am

Wow, what an experience and super pictures.

I have no pictures of my MMM. (that is another story)

I went with some of my family to spend the night at Shipandane hide. It was a birthday gift from my daughter.

We were getting things ready for the braai when my daughter called from inside the hide.

The next few minutes held us all spell bound.

We watched, transfixed, as a perfect full moon rose over the bush, directly in front of the hide. It was as if we were being blessed with a gift that could never be repeated. It was mystical, magical, marvelous. My special MMM.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Share your Most Memorable Moment of 2014 with us!

Unread postby Crested Val » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:29 pm

*BUMP*

Return to “Chit-Chat”