Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Malealea wrote:
Honestly couldn´t you behave yourself????? :mrgreen:

Me! Never!

It is probably due to both my parents having blue eyes as well. :roll:

:funny: :funny:

BB that is what happens if you think in one language and write in another, in Afrikaans it is a "blou oog" literally translated blue eye while the correct translation would be black eye. Either way I think Jen got the message, she has been pretty miserable and not on top of the world. As for me physically assaulting her......She is a dear old soul.............(when she is sleeping) :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:00 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I want to return to MarkusF's question about a dog that is good with children, and I want to add that should he be looking for a big dog, I think a Labrador is the perfect dog. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:06 pm 

Sparks wrote:
......She is a dear old soul.............(when she is sleeping) :twisted:

Just quoting this for when Jen is around, should certain ones wish to quickly edit their posts just before she logs on ... :twisted:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 pm 

Sparks wrote:
Honestly couldn´t you behave yourself????? :mrgreen:

Me! Never!

It is probably due to both my parents having blue eyes as well. :roll:

So I guess your parents also don´t know how to behave :mrgreen: :hmz: hmm indeed that could have a double meaning :whistle: Just a joke BB. I hope you are not angry with me :sori:

hmm about the dog, well Labradors are indeed a good choice. Very good Dogs are also Boxer. They might look a bit weired, but they are absolutley great. Playfull till the old age, freindly to everyone, but still have the ability to watch over (actually a good link to BB with the Blue Eyes :whistle: )

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Labradors are not dogs they are companions. Better companion will be hard to find, they are always glad to see you even if you did not treat them as you should. Highly intelligent and willing to work in my book the best you can find for children.

With youngsters you need to look for a calm dog that does not get excited for no reason. Remember a puppy is for life not for Christmas, choose wisely.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
@Malealea, you will have to try a lot harder than that to get me angry with you. :wink:

@Sparks, I suggest you wipe you posts off or YOU might be in the doghouse tonight.

Labrador :hmz: Great companions, but they are 'busy' and might hurt small children by accident with their enthusiasm.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I didn't thought it's going to be so hard to make a decision. My head is already spinning with all the advice given so far!!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:51 pm 

Well every big Dog can be a potential danger for kids. Either they bite or bumb them off e.g. playing when the Dogs are getting excited. Anyway I think Labradors are indeed a very good choice. Better then Hearddogs, Fighting Dogs (pitbull...) or hunting dogs. Not a good choice is a husky. When they are not entertaint, they will look for there entertainment and will freak out. E.g. that the try to jump over the fence, digging holes, to try to escape. it isn´t a üleassure at all. But please take in consiedration, that I´m taliking from Germany in South Africa, because of the bigger Gardens, that might not be a big Deal.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
onewithnature wrote:
Thanks BB. :thumbs_up: :D We'll try and maintain the perceived hierarchy, as we have noticed how important it is to the stability of a dog pack.

Hi OWN and Siobain.

I am so sorry that I was not around when you first posted. :( My computer just went on a "go slow" and seized up altogether. It must have a contract with ESKOM.. :wink:

Just a couple of observations on Calico. :hmz:

I find her a very protective dog, probably the ideal guard dog.

When I take my dogs out for a walk, my delinquent little tracker/hunters disappear in a shot to chase what ever they can chase. Regardless of the noise and temptation, Calico remains close to me, as does Chino.

Her determination to protect seems dominant.

I wonder whether she is not mote alert and tense than usual when OWN is working? I would possibly think of giving Valerium or a beta blocker on those nights?

With my own animals I have found that they tend to go into attack mode when I am doing work that they see as punishment to another animal. Only yesterday, I had one of my dogs attacked while taking out sutures. I try to close myself off from the dogs if I have to medicate or do something that might hurt them. Even my sweet Sox wants to take a bite to show his love and undying support towards me, the pack leader..

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:17 pm 

Dogs are very social animals therefor I think MM that you mentioned very valid points. actually. You have really nice dogs. And of course a cute cat. Nice Pictures thanks for posting :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
@Sparks, I suggest you wipe you posts off or YOU might be in the doghouse tonight.

Too late for that BB I have "friends" here
hilda wrote:
Just quoting this for when Jen is around, should certain ones wish to quickly edit their posts just before she logs on ..

Seems as if I will be staying over on Welkom tonight.......the one by the front door :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
JenB wrote:
I have a little story I'd like to share with you all. :)

Three weeks ago I had to deliver a package to the airport, I had to get it on the 8-45pm flight to CT. As I took the slipway to OR Tambo, I saw the cars breaking and swerving to avoid a tiny creature in the road. When it got caught up in my headlights I saw that it was the tiniest little kitten.

I hit the brakes and hazards and jumped out chasing after the cat. After what felt like minutes I had it cornered against the curb. When I got home and had a better look in not very good light, I thought it must have been hit before I got to it because the one eye seemed missing from the socket and the other one badly mutilated. I kept it in a box with warm blankets and hotwater bottles overnight not quite knowing what to do next.

The next morning, there it was sitting trying to look at me with those poor little eyes. It was completely calm when I picked it up and I cradled it under my jacket and in no time it started purring. This is no feral cat, it is used to human touch, someone must have dropped it off on that busy road. :(

Not knowing much about cats, I phoned my friend who told me to contact Friends of the cat, a non-profit organization here in Joburg who takes care of abandoned cats. They gave me the name of their vet and after breakfast by syringe and a nice bath I took it in to be seen to.

The vet said that he was only about 5 weeks old at the time and that he has ulcers in both eyes. The one was already shrinking away and at that time they thought he also lost the use of the other one. They took him in and undertook to give him the best care they could and to eventually find him a home suitable for a special needs cat.

That little one has been on my mind everyday and this morning I decided that I just had to go back to the vet to hear what happened to him. Well, he was still there, getting heaps of love, attention, good food and medical care. That tiny helpless little kitten is growing into a beautiful cat! When I took him in they thought they'd have to remove his eyeballs when he is old enough but the treatment seems to be working and he has about 10% vision in his one eye.

Here he is, they call him Angus.
He is about 8 weeks old now. :D

Jen, what a sad, yet heart warming story. A big :gflower: to you.

Friends of the cat is a very special organisation. They always do their utmost to save cats. I do a bit of fostering, as do many people, while cats wait for a home. It is better than been kept behind caged doors.

I will post a few of my kitties looking for a home. Often they are abandoned. I have two beautiful, but wild Siamese who were rescued from being poisoned. People emigrating often leave their cats with "Friends of the cat".

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Misty mornings.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:12 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
So glad to see you back on the Forums MM! I was wondering where you were! Beautiful pictures of the doggies! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:yaya: MM :)

OWN I am glad for you and Siobain that the situation can now be managed with the muzzle.

Our Corgi’s are exactly like that Carol (what you said a few posts earlier about the hearding). Corgi’s are also herding dogs and some like to nip and bite at your ankles. But it is their nature to keep everyone in line :) .

MarkusF I hope you will get a dog who will fully integrate with your family and who will be part of your household. Some good advice here I think, a Basset 8) sounds like a good idea to me for a family dog.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 97  Next