Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:13 pm 

From my experience I can say, small Dogs are very unpatient and turns to bite more quckly then bigger ones. But it is all a question how you educate the Dog.

It is only my oppinion, but I really like the Cross Over. Especially Dogs where you can find Bobtails are very suitable to kids. Normaly they are very patient, but you have to understand them. Dalmatinas have the habbit that they al blekking the teeth when they are happy or playing. It have similarities with a smile. It looks dangerous, but in most of the cases it is a matter of Joy. Bobtails use to growl during the Game, but that is not Identical with a warning growl. if you hear it you may see the difference. But yoz have to know it. Just talk about my experience I was reallys irritatet when my dog uses to growl and bleek Teeth. later on I found out it is a sign of Joy . the dog wasn´t angry nor aggresiv at all.

I also like Rhoesian Ridgeback.that are nice Dogs, but in case of you I wouldn´t recommend it, thy are to powerfull. If a game occur, especially in the Game, that can cause Problems.

An Irish Wolfhound could be nice.they are well known, to be good Family Dogs. But you have to be aware, that this Dog is more aPony.... .

Anyway to give you a suggestion is very difficult. The only thing I can say DON´T BUY a Terrier. These are the real beasts.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The tendency with small dogs is not to train them and to spoil them.

Then they are the pack leader!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Bush Baptist wrote:
The tendency with small dogs is not to train them and to spoil them.

Then they are the pack leader!

:imsmilin:

Very true BB :D

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:31 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Good question Markus!

When my kids were little we had a few different breeds. The Maltese was very good with the kids, never snapped even when she had puppies. She was a such wonderful pet. It's 16 years now since I had to put her down due to old age and I still get all tearful when I think of her. :)

We've had a couple of Dachshunds, they all got on well with the kids.

We've always had Rottweilers and my Rotties love kids! They can be a bit like a bull in a china shop when they are young, right now I'm sporting a suspected broken nose and two beautiful blue eyes from an innocent head bump. :doh: One needs a real passion for the breed so I would not advise anyone to get rotties however wonderful I think they are.

What about a basset??
We have Fred and my son has Dudley and Dorey. They are as stubborn as the day is long but so sweet and patient and loves anyone on two legs and they love him. They are just the cutest puppies ever with those ever-so-long ears!
Bassets are real companion dogs, hopeless guard dogs but wonderful friends non the less. :)

BB just posted - True! Training, training, training... :wink:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Ouch JenB :doh:

MarkusF I have to agree with JenB, a Bassett would be ideal, never thought of a basset, in my previous post.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:48 pm 

Yip.... Want a pic Carol? :doh: :lol:

(Totally off topic..... You should see the looks I get and immediately they eyes go across to SO. I'm quick to try to explain it was injury by dog not man. :lol: )

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
JenB wrote:
Yip.... Want a pic Carol? :doh: :lol:

(Totally off topic..... You should see the looks I get and immediately they eyes go across to SO. I'm quick to try to explain it was injury by dog not man. :lol: )

Still totally off topic but would love a pic, was going to ask if the injury was really caused by animal or man :D :D

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow, thanks for all the replies so far. Appreciate it!

Yes, I guess so many options are available. At this stage we are not looking for a guard dog. Maybe when the kids left home and we are old. Lol!

Much more like a cuddle, patient and affectionate dog that is tolerant towards kids for now. Although Lulu was a cross breed, you could almost do anything with her, I guess it was due to the fact she grew up with the kids.

Maybe a basset or dachshund are not a bad idea at all.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:35 pm 

I disagree to the fact of Bassets. They are not trainable at all. They do have there own mind and great effort to hunt. So if you have cats around, Good luck.

That is def. not a good Idea. A Dachhumd is a hunter aswell, but by far better trainable, but in Germany these Dogs are well knwon to have snap quite easily. I would be very carefull. Maybe a Collie is a good deal at all.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:59 pm 

Malealea wrote:
I disagree to the fact of Bassets. They are not trainable at all. They do have there own mind and great effort to hunt. So if you have cats around, Good luck.

Sorry, I beg to differ... :wink:
Bassets are not hunting dogs, they are tracking dogs. The difference is that a hunting dog was bred to kill and a tracking dog was bred to track the pray and not kill it.
Ever owned a basset Malealea?
I have one. I do not have cats but he often visits my son whose tenant does own a cat and there is no problem. He will put his nose to the ground and go around in circles following a track but he never even chases after a bird.
Oh and... there is no such thing as an untrainable dog. If bassets are so untrainable, I must have one of a kind.... in fact three of a kind. :wink:
Malealea wrote:
That is def. not a good Idea. A Dachhumd is a hunter aswell, but by far better trainable, but in Germany these Dogs are well knwon to have snap quite easily. I would be very carefull. Maybe a Collie is a good deal at all.

Here you are correct. Dachshunds were bred for hunting and they will chase after a smaller animal so if you have rats and mice and kittens running around the house, you might have a problem. My dachshund is 12 years old, I've had her since she was 10 days old. She's met many cats before and never killed one, in fact she is so tiny she will come off second best. Mice, birds and such might very well be prey to her.
The solution is socialization and if a dachshund was brought up in a household with cats, they see one another as part of the pack. I am able to give you many examples of duchsies living quite peacefully with cats.

Just as a matter of interest, even a collie will snap if it's not properly been trained and socialized. I had a collie many years ago what came from an abandoned litter. Even with lots of love and attention, she was still very afraid of people and fearful dogs often snap.

I'm not sure how the dogs you refer to were integrated into a family situation or trained but I can assure you that all the members contributing to this thread see their animals as part of their family and treat them as such.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have to agree with JenB, I did a lot of dog training at our local dog club, and got my border collie thru B test, and had a few bassets in my class, oltho they are lazy lumps, they are still trainable, and lots of fun, with very placid personalities, not snappy at all.

Border collies are also lovely dogs but get very excited and tend to want to herd everything, nipping the subject of there herding to get them in line :D

Seeing that Markus does not want a big dog, I feel that a Bassett could work very well for them

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm 

Well in Germany Bassets are listed as a hunting Dog. Actually I have friends which do have a Basset and they are very struggeling. When I atend Dog school, we had a Basset aswell. To train him was a ahrd task. Because this guy always want to hunt. But JenB are correckt if you train a Dog from the beginning everything might work, but there is no guaranty.

Collies, doesn´t matter which one, need to be entertained at all time, otherwise they will freak our. Egility Training could be a key.

But still I wouldn´t, based on my experience, never suggest eiher a Dachshon´d nor a Basset to everybody except a hunter or Ranger. But well it is only a Mirror of my oppinion.

Markus, can you tell us which Attributes your Dogs should have?
That makes the whole Story much easier.

Best Regards

(I expected that some people will disagree, but that is fine a 100% clear answer you will never get!).

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:02 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
We found a humane, comfortable muzzle that fits Calico like a second skin, and through which she can still drink water. She has taken to it already because, though seemingly bizarre, we use it as a reward. So, if she listens and behaves herself, we praise her, put the muzzle on, and let her spend time around all of us. If she misbehaves, we keep her in the kitchen without the muzzle until she is ready to listen again. A case of reverse psychology.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Well done OWN, seems to be working, keep it up, I'm holding thumbs that it will sort out the problem :gflower:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:29 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
MarkusF, whatever your decision might be, don't buy a Pekingese! They really bite! I have raised Alsations, Bull Mastiffs and Rottweilers, and was NEVER bitten by any of them! Then I started with Pekingese, (due to a space problem), remembering we had them during my childhood. Although I cannot remember being bitten by any of them, mine really do bite, and I always have to be careful when kids are around! I had four of them, but one sadly passed away last year. One of the other three doesn't bite, but I still think the day will come! :(

But be it as it may, I love them dearly! :dance: :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 97  Next