Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:
Mikki Is so sweet he riminds of the dog in Dr Dolittle :) .... Isnt it amazing MM how the animals that one finds abandoned, lost or grew up as a wild animal on the streets when found and picked up and taken care of make some of the best animals you'll ever have :)

That's certainly true SL! We have had our 'Saffie' the Staffy x Jack Russell for about 10 months and she is the most wonderful dog and a much loved member of our family. :)

Destiny may have put the lucky Mikki on the road at that particular time that particular night because he found the kind person he needed. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:50 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
threedogs wrote:
Destiny may have put the lucky Mikki on the road at that particular time that particular night because he found the kind person he needed.

I agree Threedogs! And Meandering Mouse is rewarded for her love and kindness for animals by all the joy and love she receives from Mikki! :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Re: Do You Have A Pet?
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:47 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Good morning all you marvellous pet-loving mites. :D :D As you may know, we have three lovely canine souls, each unique, each delightful, each in his or her own way a wonderful soul that lights up our lives.

Unfortunately, the larger one, Calico, is rather an insecure dog, and sometimes exhibits aggressive behaviour towards the other two that has us tearing our hairs out by the roots. At times she is the most passive, obedient, gorgeous energy; and then, all of a sudden, she will attack one of the others for no obvious reason other than that she can.

Initially, when we rescued Billy - a small, passive, Staffie-Bull-Terrier-something-else cross that has the most calming energy we've come across in years - Calico attacked him viciously and almost killed him; luckily, Siobain's sister was on hand to separate them in time. Billy had severe puncture wounds that required stitches, and it took him weeks to heal. Twice more she attacked the little boy, each time leaving puncture wounds, but we were able to get him right as the attacks were not as severe as that first time. Billy has handled Calico very well from that time onwards, submitting to her whenever she begins to bully him. As a result, there have been no more attacks in that area.

In October, as many of you may know, we acquired Tessie, who is now a bulldog of 12+ years old. She was one of Siobain's five bulldogs, but she is the only one left, and as the person that was looking after her left for overseas, we were able to have the joy of looking after her in her golden years. She is a beautiful dog, also with a lovely personality and soft energy. However, she is quite riddled with arthritis, but is on medication and a good food, and so is able to move around fairly freely, sometimes even trotting for short distances.

Sadly, in the six months we've had Tessie, Calico has attacked her five times, each time grabbing her viciously on her body and shaking her unrelentingly without letting go until one of us could separate them. Tessie tries to fight back but her teeth are not that good anymore and Calico is much stronger than she is. The time prior to the last event, I managed to lift Calico up by her nape, but she would not let go of her grip on Tessie, and Siobain had to pick Tessie up until I could get Calico to let go.

Last night, Siobain phoned me at work just after midnight to tell me that, while she was assisting Tessie to extract a plug of faeces that the little girl was struggling to push out, Calico suddenly - and she has never done anything like this before - decided to launch a vicious attack on Tessie in her vulnerable state. Siobain tried to get Calico to let go but the dog is very strong and she battled to separate them. Tessie was in shock and shaking, but after a few minutes she calmed down and later drank a load of rehydration solution, whereafter she slept soundly. She seems to have a plug filled with serum around her left hip, but we will take her for assessment to the vet in the morning.

It seems obvious now that Calico's aggressive behaviour towards Tessie is unlikely to abate, and something urgently needs to be done so that Tessie can enjoy her last years with serenity and dignity. It doesn't ultimately help in the long run for us to intervene and discipline Calico as we have noticed that, though she seems to obey in the short-term, she becomes increasingly defensive, unstable, and unsure, which eventually builds her up to a point where she releases it all in an aggressive attack on Tessie.

If anyone knows of a good pet behaviourist, or a place or website where we could get effective advice, or even if any of you have had similar experiences and can furnish some wise words, please could you let us know. Siobain and I live in the Johannesburg area.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What a sad situation Onewithnature! :( Unfortunately I have no advice for you, but hope someone else can give advice soon! :pray:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

OWN - I am really feeling for you. :( This is exactly the sort of problem we have had with our dogs this last few months. It is incredibly distressing for all involved both humans and dogs. We too, have one female who is a very complex personality. She can be very unsure of herself but tries to act very cocky and confident. She gets very jealous of the other two females when they get any attention and took to attacking the smallest and most vulnerable one. These attacks were brutal. We tried everything advised by Cesar Milan. I downloaded his books and read them and tried to implement rules and boundaries etc. At times I could have them together in the backyard but Lucy never felt safe and would hide a lot of the time. One day I came home and in their excitement Lucy was set upon by the other three instigated by the dominant female. We tried everything for about four months before admitting defeat. I cannot have the two girls together at any time. Fortunately, we have a secure kennel and very small yard within the larger backyard. Lucy sleeps in this at night. During the day we have to alternate two or three of the dogs locked in the house and the other locked in the backyard and then swap every three hours or so. Lucy has one friend in the desexed male Scooter so she can enjoy his company. This sort of doggie musical chairs takes a lot of commitment but it works for us. Our holiday starts soon and we are sending Lucy to a boarding kennel so my son doesn't have to worry about this obligation to separate the dogs.

At first I was very upset and thought we should re-home Lucy but the solution we have keeps all the dogs happy and it is really not that onerous.

Sometimes female dogs just do not get along. I am sure that very experienced help with a behaviourist might perhaps bring some progress and if you can find the right person that would be great. But sometimes these feelings and instincts run deep and I think maybe we have to determine what is in the best interests of the dog/s rather than ourselves ie our sadness and grief of maybe having to re-home. :? We were lucky to be able to keep all dogs safe and happy at home albeit not the ideal situation.

These are just my thoughts I am sure other mites might have better advice. It is a tough situation. I really do wish you all the best for finding a solution. *hugs*

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shame Own that is so sad :( maybe Calico is afraid that she isnt going to get your attention anymore and is lashing out at Tessie because of it? I hate it when my animals dont get along with each other cos Im so afraid they get seriously hurt :( hope you and siobain find a solution to this predicament

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Hilda, 3D, and S-L ... thanks for you input. :thumbs_up: If anyone else has any experience and/or advice in such matters, please let us know. :pray:

3D, we appreciate your detailed input and illustration of a similar problem. Wonderful that you have found a way forward by swopping dogs around to minimise the jealousy. Essentially you have done what you can to remove the stimulus, which is what we think we need to do at this point. Yes, we will work on ways to get Calico used to Tessie's presence, but that can take months to achieve and so it is far wiser for now to simply separate the two of them - that way Calico cannot get to Tessie to hurt her.

When Calico visits our wonderful friend, MM, there is a pack of five dogs that sorts Calico into her hierarchical position. Then we're sure that Calico is not allowed to step out of line, because if she does the pack leader sorts her out. However, with us, neither Billy nor Tessie can assume the lead role, which makes us think that Calico believes she is top dog. In Cesar Milan's pack, he says that he keeps all the dogs on an equal footing - with him and his family as pack leaders - but there must surely still be a hierarchy amongst the canine pack, and he seems to let them work things out. It works for his pack, but it is not working for ours.

One thing we have noticed is that Cesar never approaches any of his dogs to fuss them; rather, he always waits for the dogs to first come to him, and then he decides how much attention to lavish upon them. We are now adopting this tactic, one that is confusing Calico as she is not sure what we expect from her. However, we believe that she will get the jist of it in time - she is actually a highly intelligent dog - and then hopefully she will settle. As to the Tessie issue, we will slowly reintroduce Calico back into Tessie's space and observe their behaviour around each other. From what we have read, outright punishment - confrontation, shouting, rolling the dog over to get her to submit, and so on - does not help in the long run. Rather it is better to ignore behaviours that one does not want to see and then reward those that we do want. (Actually, I think the same applies to children. :wink: )

Similar to you, 3D, we will rotate the dogs and see what works best. S-L, it seems indeed that Calico is afraid she will lose her perceived dominance to Tessie, and that is why she is so forceful in seeking our attention, and blocking both Billy and Tessie from getting near to us while she is there. We have now taken to "round-robining": fussing all of the dogs in equal quantity and from one to the other in sequence; Calico is again not too happy with this arrangement at the moment, but she should become more used to it in time, especially if we give her no other alternatives. The other thing is to exercise Calico regularly as, once she is physically tired, she does not seem to be as eager to vent her frustrations on the others. Cesar uses this tactic a lot, making sure the offending dog's high energy is reduced before training can take place.

For now, we're hoping that the situation can settle down long enough so that we can make progress to a point where Calico is no longer a physical threat to Tessie's safety. Tessie is too old to handle much more of Calico's aggressive episodes, and we fear for her health. 3D, you're absolutely right that we must do what's best for all the dogs concerned - and ignore our emotional biases - but we also believe that, as the overall pack leaders, it is up to us to find a solution that WILL make things work for everyone. And we do have faith that we can reach that end; just praying that it is sooner than later.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It sounds OWN like you are doing everything right and all that you can do at present and assessing things as you go. :thumbs_up:

You are right and I perfectly agree that when we take any dog/s into our lives it is up to us to try absolutely everything to ensure that there is a safe and stable home for all for the rest of their lives. For me re-homing would be an absolute last resort and I would only ever have done so if we couldn't keep them separated. Sadly, for us, gradual re-introduction and modified behaviour (from us!) didn't work but that is probably because we were not effective enough at doing it. :? I have seen Cesar Milan re-home dogs on his show on just a few occasions and I think it is a case of difficult doggie personalities combined with owners who couldn't successfully follow modified behaviour patterns and routines and we probably fall into this catergory. :redface: Although goodness knows we tried very hard. :lol:

I think you are really on the right track. Only time will tell and I wish you the very best of luck. I hope you found that like me, writing it down by 'talking' here on the forum helps clarify the situation in your own mind and also eases the worry a little. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
OWN I wish I had advice for you, it's so difficult and jealousy plays a big roll in their behavior, I agre to try to keep them separate at least while you're not there. Do hope all turns out well in the end.

Have you managed to sort something out with the body corporate yet or are you still battling with them ?

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:43 pm 

I have a pet, His name is Smokey. He is such a good dog . He is my best friend

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
rheeder wrote:
I have a pet, His name is Smokey. He is such a good dog . He is my best friend

See you are new on the forums rheeder, welcome.

Glad Smokey is such a good dog to you, yes a dog is always ones best friend, enjoy him :gflower:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 pm 

Hi Carol

yes I am new. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
rheeder wrote:
Hi Carol

yes I am new. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum

rheeder :thumbs_up:

Browse thru the forum, you will find many interesting topics, if you get stuck just shout and we will be there to help you. Enjoy the forums :gflower:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Rheeder :)

Welcome to the forums hope you enjoy every second of it :)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Welcome Rheeder! People with pets are the loveliest people. :dance: I hope you find lots of interesting stuff on the forums. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 97  Next