Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: All Recipes including Biltong, Potjie & Amarula Coffee
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thought I'd share this one, from MAN/Magnum magazine, which I tried last weekend. Didn't really have enough marrow, and actually too much meat, but it came out quite nicely actually. Had two black wildebeest backstraps and it was not dry at all - can't remember whether they were taken from an older cow or a mature bull. Bit more filling would have gone down quite nicely. I will definitely do it again, and the family agree, so that says something.

====================
Gemsbok backstraps over coals:

Many people add all sorts of products or bacon to venison in order to get it done tender and tasty, but many of these magical ingredients rob the venison of its unique taste. The following recipe works excellently:

1x oryx backstrap
6x marrow bones, approximately 75mm long (game or beef)
1x onion, chopped fine
Mushrooms, chopped fine (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook marrow bones semi-done in water to which 1 teaspoon of salt has been added. Place the bones upright so that the marrow doesn’t cook out. Remove the marrow and mix with onion and mushrooms and braai slightly.

Butterfly the backstrap in its length and, after the marrow mixture has been flavoured to taste, use as a filling, where after the meat is folded closed again. Sew the open ends of the backstrap closed with needle and thread to prevent the marrow mixture from falling out and smear both sides of the meat with olive oil (ginger or mustard can be used additionally.) Let the meat "rest" for some 30 minutes. Brown quickly over hot coals, and then barbeque slowly for about 20 minutes over moderate coals. Once again let it lay for 10 minutes and then cut in slices. You’ll eat your fingers to get the last taste.

This recipe works well in the veldt. If smaller game is used don’t butterfly it, but merely press a hole through it in order to make space for the marrow mixture.
====================

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, if you come around in winter, or shortly after...

Actually a lot of work for the veldt - only if you have a dedicated cook along really. There I normally don't have this much time, and it is normal braaivleis, kidney and heart chopped together, some mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and whatever to make a nice sauce with that. Or the liver, bacon, once again tomatoes and onion (works with anything! :tongue: ), cubed green apple... that sort of thing. Typically not much is left over, unless I've really made too much...

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

How about some pudding? :twisted: This works nice in the veldt - can't remember whether I've posted this yet...?

Take a smallish pineapple - not the big ones - and cut off the top. Hollow out the pineapple in small pieces, keeping the skin thick - you don't want to open those holes on the side. Now pack those insides back, a layer at a time. Layer pineapple, a dollop of butter and some brown sugar - not too much of either. Next layer of pineapple. When done, add a capful or two of brandy, or Old Brown Sherry or somesuch. Now add the top of the pineapple back. (You didn't throw it in the dustbin, did you? :roll: ) Wrap it in foil, and place upright on the side of the fire while you're doing the meet - not too hot. When you're ready, take it off - must be eaten warm else the melted butter can spoil the taste a bit when cooled. The butter and sugar melts into the pineapple, including those thick sides. Decadently sweet!

If you're entertaining at home in the lapa, this can work well with those really small cast-iron pots as well. Then you skin the pineapple and pack it into the pot - a pot per person. When you're ready for dessert you just place a pot in front of every guest.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Another quick one is to take a couple of greenish bananas - they mustn't be yellow and ripe yet. Put them on the side of the fire as well. They bake in there and the sugar comes out. Play a bit with how long you put them there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Do you like onions? :twisted:

Take one of these red sweet onions. Peel, clean and everything. From the top, take the core out to just more than halfway. Place some marmite in there (similar in size to a cube of about 1cmx1cm in size) - I don't like Oxo, Fray Bentos or ... (and now I can't remember the other one!), but I guess you can use those as well. Bascially a salty, beefy type spread. Oxo cubes I think will work as well. Put the top of the core back. Wrap in foil and place upright on the side of the fire. Once again not too hot. The sugar in the onion caramelises and the marmite cooks through. Eat with your other food as a side dish.

Quite nice.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:56 pm 

Another very nice one. :thumbs_up:
Mangoes
Yoghurt
Cream
Cinnamon

Mash the mangoes very finely
Mix it with yoghurt and add cream as much as you want.
Serve with a bit of Cinnamon on top.

Voila.
An instant desert and easy to make in the bush. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I like quick and easy in the bush. :thumbs_up:

But I don't like yoghurt. Will probably replace that with Ideal Milk mixed with condensed milk. And maybe drop the cream. Sounds nice. Or I simply take a tin of mixed fruit and use the ideal milk condensed milk mixture... quick and easy :mrgreen:

DAMN! I'm getting hungry now!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:04 pm 

Tinned fruit works but is not as nice.
Drop the yoghurt and keep the cream. That works too. :thumbs_up:
But I am not so sure about the condensed milk though. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: ... they don't want to... :hmz:

Yeah right...

I don't like cooking in the house - can't do that. Only outside.

One I've heard about but not tried yet.

Take your pot with you to the green-grocer and get a pumpkin that just fits. Don't know whether iron-pumpkin is the right name - those steel-green pumpkins, not the Herbert squash. (Ysterpampoen)

Take the top off as a lid, remove the pips. Pour a bit of water in the pot so that the pumpkin doesn't burn. Take a pound of butter and toss that in the pumpkin. Same with a 1kg packet of sugar. Put the pumpkin's lid back on, as well as that of the pot - must seal quite tight. Put on the fire with your other potjie. This is almost a dessert as well apparently.

A variation is to do the same, but add all your veggies to the pumpkin for a veggie pot. In this case you scrape the pumpkin on the inside somewhat, but still leaving a thick skin (like with the pineapple above). Peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, etc...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:12 pm 
bishop3006 wrote:

====================
Gemsbok backstraps over coals:

1x oryx backstrap
6x marrow bones, approximately 75mm long (game or beef)
1x onion, chopped fine
Mushrooms, chopped fine (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook marrow bones semi-done in water to which 1 teaspoon of salt has been added. Place the bones upright so that the marrow doesn’t cook out. Remove the marrow and mix with onion and mushrooms and braai slightly.

Butterfly the backstrap in its length and, after the marrow mixture has been flavoured to taste, use as a filling, where after the meat is folded closed again. Sew the open ends of the backstrap closed with needle and thread to prevent the marrow mixture from falling out and smear both sides of the meat with olive oil (ginger or mustard can be used additionally.) Let the meat "rest" for some 30 minutes. Brown quickly over hot coals, and then barbeque slowly for about 20 minutes over moderate coals. Once again let it lay for 10 minutes and then cut in slices. You’ll eat your fingers to get the last taste.

This recipe works well in the veldt. If smaller game is used don’t butterfly it, but merely press a hole through it in order to make space for the marrow mixture.
====================

What exactly is a "backstrap"...?

Part of a saddle?

Sounds like a recipe made by extremely bored hunters tired of poking a hole into small things they caught... :doh:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:21 pm 
I know a few hunters, and doubt that this should be attempted after dark:

bishop: "Now...who overturned the one marrow bone!? :evil: Now there's marrow in the salty water! :cry: "

Hunter#!: "I wash looking for the butterfliesh!"

bishop: "You, there! Stop poking a hole in the backstrap! :shock: "

Hunter#2: "But itsh shmaller than an oryxsh!"

bishop: "I authorise butterflying, nonetheless... :? "

Hunter#1: "Wheresh my shaddle!"

Etc. etc. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:44 pm 

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

RP! :doh: You Philistine! :wall: That is why I go to the veldt with my kids. Just like ndloti I don't do groups...

Backstrap? ("Rugstringbiltong") That piece of meat on the back, on either side of the spine. Not those inside the body cavity. ("Garingbiltonge")

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:36 pm 
bishop3006 wrote:
RP! You Philistine! That is why I go to the veldt with my kids. Just like ndloti I don't do groups...

This is starting to sound like some sort of Cult!

Stay away! :big_eyes:

I have massive backstraps, in case you were getting ideas! :shock: :naughty:

(Used to support my "frontbag"... :lol: )

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:54 pm 

Potato and mussel salad :

Quote:
Bush Meals (meaning a meal that can easily be cooked in the bush and one does not need a Spar around the corner).
8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next