Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chromatic Aberration: Camera or Lens?
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:21 pm 

Hi Guys

So recently I have been struggling with purple borders featuring on most of my pictures. I have never noticed this before.

I am using a canon 550D with a 28-300mm Sigma Lens.

It is much worse when I am fully zoomed in and when the conditions are overcast.

Not too sure why it has been so bad, maybe the more experienced guys and girls in here can give me some advice...

Post subject: Re: Chromatic Aberration: Camera or Lens?
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:52 pm 

The problems you are experiencing with chromatic aberration is almost certainly attributable to the 28-300mm lens you are using. There is a very good reason why the prices of lenses vary so widely and it revolves around both the quality of the glass and the complexity of the construction of the lens, among other attributes.

To minimise such issues in any future lens purchases, try to avoid zoom lenses that have more than a 3x / 4x zoom level (the 28-300 is almost 11x !). The complexities within any zoom system goes up exponentially as the difference between the shorter and longer limits of any lens increases. Should you wish to achieve close to perfect optics, stick to prime lenses (and expect to pay BIG money), or learn to live with the compromises that all zoom lenses have.

The bigger the focal length difference between the short and long ends of a lens, the bigger the problem is likely to be and the more difficult it is for manufacturers to overcome. Sure, manufacturers could improve their glass quality in their super-zoom lenses, but while this could minimally improve the quality, the likely increase of the price of the lens would not justify such a move.

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've been seeing some pretty darned decent photographs of wildlife and motor sport and where a zoom lenz is used. Would the picture be cropped to get rid of this border?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: :hmz:

In adobe bridge there is a setting where the program will remove chromatic aberration for you or you can do it your self under the same setting. Another option is crop it out if you can

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:09 am 

The Lens!.
It is definitely more noticeable in low light conditions.
Don't believe those that say you "HAVE" to use prime lenses or "marque" (camera manufacturer's) lenses. Faster more expensive lenses will have less aberration than cheaper lenses whether made by the original camera manufacturer or by a "third party" (usually Sigma or Tamron , sometimes Tokina or others){You pay more as you get more!}(normally but not always!)
Also not all lenses of the same focal length and design , even from the same manufacturer are equal in performance. Every lens usually has a "Sweet Spot" - combination of focal length (in the case of zooms) and aperture that has the minimum distortion. This is fairly easily found by shooting a sheet of newspaper taped to a wall (preferably in the shade with constant lighting conditions) and shooting at different combinations of aperture, shutter speed and ISO to determine what works best for you. Zoom lenses are a compromise sacrificing some quality for a whole lot of convenience.As ScottM said the greater the zoom range the greater the compromise!
"Removing" aberration in post processing can be a real pain and not always very successful.
I personally prefer prime lenses not because of any quality issues but because I find the zooming ring gets moved while handling.With a prime I KNOW what focal length I have!

Try "Reading the newspaper" and get to know how to get the best out out your current equipment.
Then upgrade when you can with lenses being the best place to do so!

Regards , Kevin.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:18 pm 

Thanks for the responses guys! I will hijack my dads 100-400L when I next go to the Kruger:)