Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shooting off a dinosaur (A tribute to yesterdays pro DSLR's)
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:59 am 

images by Chad_Wright, on Flickr

IMG_4993 by Chad_Wright, on Flickr

When I’m out and about people always ask me “why are you using such an OLD camera?” or “I remember that body, I used it years ago!” or “I used that camera to cover the Berlin Olympics…” (that last one might be a bit of a stretch), and I can never give them a straightforward answer to justify my decision. I’m currently using a Canon 1D Mk II and a 1Ds Mk II - both are almost 10 years old, have tiny LCD screens, huge heavy batteries, no video capabilities, a maximum ISO of 1600 (3200 with ISO expansion), slow outdated processors and a low megapixel count by today’s standards (8mp & 16mp FF respectively). I bought both of them second hand from a reputable store and haven’t looked back since.

Aardwolf by Chad_Wright, on Flickr

The reason I originally chose to upgrade from a 50D to a 1D Mk II was because I could get a fully professional camera body that was weather sealed, had a built-in battery grip, had an immaculate 1.3x crop sensor, shot at 8fps and could still work after being exposed to a nuclear winter and all of this was available for under R5000! Yes, I sacrificed some of today’s technology, but I feel I have become a better all-round photographer by only using the bare minimum (which might sound quite ridiculous to the pros who used to shoot on film!). Even though it only has 8 megapixels, this can be easily adjusted using one of the many decent resizing software packages available (I use Genuine Fractals).

Path of least resistance by Chad_Wright, on Flickr

After shooting with the 1D Mk II for 2 years, I decided to go the full frame route and looked at both the 5D Mk II and 6D as they just fitted in my budget- however, the more I got to know the cameras the more I wasn’t willing to compromise on the 1D’s build quality, character and general feel when in my hand. Don’t get me wrong, both of those bodies are great, they have all the bells and whistles and then some, but they just didn’t feel right to me. I then came across a second-hand 1Ds Mk II in great condition from the same store as before for under R10 000 and the choice was obvious.

The pose by Chad_Wright, on Flickr

All in all I’m happy with my dinosaurs - they give me just what I need for a fraction of the price of today’s equivalents! I see more and more people that are selling their trusty, well looked-after cameras of yesteryear, and most of the time it’s because they feel that the more modern bodies are much, much better (which they are in some respects, but are also much, much more expensive). So the next time you are looking for an upgrade for your DSLR, consider buying one of the forgotten greats - consider buying a dinosaur.

Death stare by Chad_Wright, on Flickr

Canon 1Ds Mk II, Canon 1D Mk II, Canon 17-40mm f4L USM, Canon 70-200mm f4L USM, Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX HSM, Canon 300mm f2.8L USM Mk I, Canon 1.4x II

Post subject: Re: Shooting off a dinosaur (A tribute to yesterdays pro DSL
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Great photographs and narrative Chad Wright :). The "Death Stare" one in particular.

Chad Wright wrote:
So the next time you are looking for an upgrade for your DSLR, consider buying one of the forgotten greats - consider buying a dinosaur.
:)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:42 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Chad,
Great to read
Its always about knowing your camera and using it correctly.
But these days the magic word is ISO count but it will always be about light and compostion.
And yours are great :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:37 am 

Thank you Bert, I agree fully :wink: No ISO in the world can compose the right subject in good light :D

Canon 1Ds Mk II, Canon 1D Mk II, Canon 17-40mm f4L USM, Canon 70-200mm f4L USM, Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX HSM, Canon 300mm f2.8L USM Mk I, Canon 1.4x II

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice to see you here Chad Wright :) Great post as well