Skip to Content

Eye-Fi cards ? anybody use them....

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Shutterbug

Eye-Fi cards ? anybody use them....

Unread postby Shutterbug » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Does anyone use these Eye-Fi cards? I have just bought one so should hopefully have it in my sticky little paws in about two weeks. What I will use it for is the Ad Hoc connection to my laptop so my SO can "critique" my shots as I am taking them :-) hopefully it works something like the Canon WFT (which is $700 !!! for my camera) at the very least I can do away with wires, oh and it also geocodes your pics but only from wifi in the area so no geocode for Kruger.

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Eye-Fi cards ? anybody use them....

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:43 am

Wow! Please let me know your experiences with it.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Switchback

Unread postby Switchback » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:47 am

Looks like a VERY neat piece of invention, if it does what they say, I'll leave my laptop running close by while shooting, well, everything, from weddings to nature!!
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

Shutterbug

Unread postby Shutterbug » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Yes, it seems like a pretty neat piece of equipment, but as you say Switchback, "if it does what they say".... there are a few vids on youtube showing it off and I must say it really looks like a big step forward for photography. If there is enough interest I will post here when I receive it and you can all ask questions and I can then physically test it on the card and then answer the question.

Switchback

Unread postby Switchback » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Don't wait for enough interrest, tell us anyway when you test it, can't wait! :lol:
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

Shutterbug

Unread postby Shutterbug » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:45 pm

:lol: ok

Shutterbug

Unread postby Shutterbug » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Ok, the card has arrived, got here much faster than I expected which is nice.
My equipment is a Canon 1D Mk IV and a 5D Mk2 (actually the card wont fit the 5D) and I am using OSX 10.6.3 on a Macbook Pro.
For the most part it does exactly what the manufacturer says, my biggest complaint is that its to slow, when I take a picture .jpg (about 6 meg) it takes a few seconds to do the "handshake" thing then transfers the images at about 6 to 8 seconds per image, it sounds pretty slow but its not to bad because it has a huge buffer and pretty good write speeds, its rated a class 6 (six meg a second) but my camera can take a little over 10 shots a second and when I fired of 72 continuos shots it handled it with no problem, not sure if its the camera doing the buffering or the card. One thing I like is that there is a script available that will tell the pictures to go to any "hot folder" that you want so combined with Aperture I can take a pic and it will appear on my laptop in full screen about 10 seconds later, I should have said at the beginning that all of this is done with the "ad hoc" connection (direct wireless connection to the laptop) if you use your wireless network at home it is very slow, I was getting something like 12 seconds per image (broadband and airport extreme) so I don't use the home network at all, I guess it would be ok if you wanted to put the images on a home computer that was permanently turned on then speed wouldn't be a concern.
As I said before if anyone wants more info (and cant find the answer on the eye-fi website site) I will try to answer you questions by using the equipment I have.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”