Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Canon 500D or Nikon D5000
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:47 am 

Please help me! I am not sure what camera to buy. We are moving to the low veld and will be spending a lot of time taking photo's in Kruger! I have saved up anyouth money and will be able to buy a SLR.

I have studied the internet but now I am more confused. First my hart was set on the Canon 450d but after reviews with the ISO speed I resided to look at other alternates. Now I need to decide between the Nikon 5000d or the Canon 500d.

Can anyone please help me?

Post subject: Re: Canon 500d or Nikon 5000d
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum corlib,
You'll find both Nikon and Canon users on the forum and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice of which one to choose.
Just one point from my side, before deciding check which lens you want with your camera. Cost's vary a lot and you might find yourself with an SRL and then have problems with lenses.
I am a Nikon user and love it all the way, tough and reliable under all points of view.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Are you starting completely from scratch?
What kind of photos are you expecting to take? This determines what lenses you'll be looking, which determines in some part which manufacturer you should choose.

Go to a shop and play around with both, see which one you like best and which one feels right.

Also take a look at this thread.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

corlib wrote:
Hi

I am starting from scratch!

The reason I ask is that the subjects you intend shooting dictate what lenses you should look for, which dictates in part what manufacturer you should choose.

Another factor which can influence this decision is the size of the 2nd market (assuming you're willing to buy 2nd hand) for lenses and accessories for any brand in SA. From my experience, there is a bigger market for used Canon equipment, as opposed to Nikon (and Sony) equipment.

Its also worth bearing in mind that a lot of companies like Sigma and Tamron make lenses with mounts for most bodies. (Many people on the forum swear by their Sigma lenses).

Unfortunately, I can only give you advice in how to make your decision. I have not used either of the cameras you mention (I have not used any Canon equipment), so I can't comment personally on either body.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Speaking of cameras, do I buy from a decent shop at a higher price or from a chain store like Game at a lower price?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

How much pre-sales and after-sales service do you want?

In terms of servicing, I'm not sure it makes much difference. My equipment is serviced by NikonSA directly, not through the outlet through which I purchased it. This is true of all Nikon equipment bought in SA.

I don't know what the situation is with Canon (though I believe its not as good as Nikon).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:27 pm 

Hi. I have just had to answer the same question for myself. I searched many web sites, spoke to store sales people, read the forum, SA 4x4 forum etc, etc. All advise given gave pros and cons between the 500D and 5000D.

In the end I went with the 500D. What made me decide. Well I am also new to the hobby, so things like the Nikons filp down screen worried me if my girls ever tried to turn it in the wrong direction?? If you don't have kids, no problem. One comment that made me think was that the Nikon 5000D does not have a built in motor so it relies on the lens having the motor which can limit lens selection. Also why do none on the top spec Nikon cameras come out with the same design? Is it the way to go?

I did hear that Nikon is definitely making a come back that there technology is superior. I would have no clue if its true or not. The edit feature on Nikon could be a nice to have.

The Marco package for 500D at R9999.00 looks like good value. Nikon kit at R9999.00 gets you the 200mm lens (nice). I also visit the bush as often as possible so a 75-300mm I think is a given. Then the 200mm is not really used. If I got the Nikon I would have gone for the 80 - 400 lens.
Know I need to get the 300mm. I am waiting for the new Sigma 300mm IS that has just been released.

For us plebs just starting out it probably goes down to what your gut says.

Let us know what you decide.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:57 pm 

GDTT wrote:
Also why do none on the top spec Nikon cameras come out with the same design? Is it the way to go?

I did hear that Nikon is definitely making a come back that there technology is superior. I would have no clue if its true or not.

What do you mean the top spec doesn't come out with the same design? Not sure I understand the question. A Nikon D5000 is hardly a top spec, but rather an medium level DSLR. You top spec Nikon's (D3X, D3S, D3, D700) is built on the same design?

I was at an extensive Wedding Photography course last week with Canons and Nikons mixed in the bunch. Without being biased, the Nikons out performed the Canons when it comes to tough low light conditions wich is essential for wedding photography (unless you want to shoot flash all the time...).

Performing well in the high ISO range is not only handy in the wedding photography industry, but obviously in many other, including wild life, photography.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

GDTT wrote:
Well I am also new to the hobby, so things like the Nikons filp down screen worried me if my girls ever tried to turn it in the wrong direction?? If you don't have kids, no problem.

I've read a lot of reviews which point this feature out as really useful

GDTT wrote:
One comment that made me think was that the Nikon 5000D does not have a built in motor so it relies on the lens having the motor which can limit lens selection.

This is true. I have a D40X which has the same issue. It can be a real pain sometime. However it does make the body much smaller and lighter, good for traveling and hiking etc.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Post subject: Re: Canon 500D or Nikon D5000
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:15 am 

Hi All,
I also want to buy and was looking at the Canon EOS450D, but after reading all the comments I think I will go for Nikon. Reason: I don't want to have to buy again for a long time. Read about the Nikon's superior Quality and service.

There is a special on the Nikon D90 Digital SLR at Makro until Monday(R9999). Does anybody have one of those? And what is your view on this camera? :? I am only starting now and we go to the Kruger often and are seldom happy with our photo's :wall:

This special comes with a Training packet (which I'll definitely need) but there are no lenses with it. Does anybody know what lenses will fit (like Sigma) or is it only Nikon lenses? Is there second hand market where I can shop for lenses?

Well that is a lot of questions. :redface:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It depends on what you want to be shooting.

They also have a special for a D3000 with 2 lenses, for a lower price. These lenses may or may not satisfy your needs (in terms of what you want to be shooting).

I've found that there's a bigger 2nd hand market for Canon lenses in SA, though this may not be true.

From what I've read, the D90 (replaces the D80) is quite highly rated.

The main difference between the D90 and the D3000 is that the D3000 will not autofocus with some older lenses ,whereas the D90 will. This may have a very real effect on your choice, because a lot of these older lenses are the ones you want to use in wildlife photography (like the Sigma 170-500mm).

As far as I know, all Nikon camera sold in SA come with the training voucher (I didn't use mine).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:27 pm 

Lee797 wrote:
There is a special on the Nikon D90 Digital SLR at Makro until Monday(R9999). Does anybody have one of those? And what is your view on this camera? :? I am only starting now and we go to the Kruger often and are seldom happy with our photo's :wall:

This special comes with a Training packet (which I'll definitely need) but there are no lenses with it. Does anybody know what lenses will fit (like Sigma) or is it only Nikon lenses? Is there second hand market where I can shop for lenses?

Me me, pick me!! I've got one!! I love it to bits and won't change it for the world. I use it for my wedding photography as well as it has the same sensor as the D300. From here I would only upgrade to a FX (Full Frame) Body.

For that price, don't worry about lenses, just get the body, it's a REALLY great price. I paid about R13 000 for mine a year ago.

All Nikon Cameras from the D80 upwards get free Nikon training. Use, trust me, you'll learn things from your camera that you didn't even know exists!

For lenses, I'll suggest the 18 - 105mm and the 70 - 300mm for now. Yes, sigma lenses fit, but if your budget can afford it, go for Nikon lenses. Check out Outdoorphoto, they have great second hand deals. Also try the Nikon Shop at Kyalami.

If at any time you need advice after buying your D90, please feel free to give me a shout.

Once again, the D90 is a beast, you'll LOVE it!! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Actually, if you're just starting out, I would recommend buying a 2nd hand D80, which you'll get with a lens for less money

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:39 am 

Thank you Joshilewis and Switchback for all the advise. I was plnning to go for the Nikon after reading all the comments, but Hubby surprised me with a present yesterday. :shock: He came home with a brand new Canon EOS 450D. So now I can not help but to be very thankfull for my new camera. :D Can always buy the Nikon later when I now more about getting that good shot.

Still need lens for our trip to KNP in Desember :dance: Can't wait!!!

Today I will be reading and playing with my new toy. I'll be looking for courses for I am sure that I will learn a lot from that.

Well I have to go and play now!! Buy

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great present! :)

I've taught myself almost all I know from the Internet (but then again I'm a self-learner).

Also, the camera club on the forum is a good place to learn and ask questions

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR