Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:46 pm 

I have both the 18-200 DX and the 70-200 VR F2.8 lens. I was a bit apprehensive about getting the 18-200 DX as I heard it was soft at the extreme telephoto end as well as the wide angle end and it made noises when focusing and zoomed by itself...what a surprise it is the best lens for me when I'm on an urban people assignment where there is no time to change lenses and it is far lighter and more portable than the bigger 70-200 f2.8...my Brides are extremely happy with my images produced with this lens. However when I go to Kruger and Addo and I am working from a car then the lens I use 95% of the time is the incomparable 70-200 f2.8 VR plus 1.4x convertor. This lens has just been voted No 1 70-200 with an image Quality of 100% and 93% overall score which is amazing as the Canon equivalent IS f2.8 lens which many (Including myself) consider the best Canon Zoom ever scored 88% overall with an image quality of 80% (See Digital Photographer Magazine of 2 months ago for the 3 way shootout between the Canon/Nikon/Sigma versions) The 18-200 DX cant take convertors as it is not that type of lens but any 70-200 works very well with convertors. People compliment me on some of my pics...but my secret is not me ...with that 70-200 its aim and fire and gee whizz images...I will never sell that lens

By the way the 18-200 isa AFS lens but its not a pro lens and therefore cant take a Nikon Pro convertor
My experience also differs as my Golden rule is Always kill the engine at a sighting...this has the effect of calming the animal/bird down and allows it to quickly see you are no trouble and you and start shooting. If I am at a sighting and there is a car with engine running I kindly ask them to turn it off. None of my images on the forum were taken with the engine running. In fact if I see a decent looking sighting say 100 metres away I speed up/kill the engine and free wheel quietly to a stop at the sighting which helps getting calm animals close up...try it and your pic opportunities will improve 100%

I would never have got this shot for example adw if I did not kill the engine earlier on and so allow the 2 lions to get right up to me...At one stage this lioness was smelling my side mirror 18inches away from my window mounted camera and face...I could hear her breathing and smelt her breath something that would not have happenned with the engine on. I'm just passing on my observations

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:30 pm 

We were stuck in the same situation, sigma / Canon – your case Nikon. The sigma is a great lens, but just too heavy to hold up. Landed up buying the Canon 100 – 400, and have no regrets

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:28 pm 

Imo you are just wasting your money, the 170-500 is not a great lens and if buying sigma rather go for the 50-500, although a bit heavy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Thanks everybody for your advice and informative comments.
:D Just what I was looking for.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Thank you all for your sound advice and comments. This forum certainly proves its worth.
regards to all

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:10 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

DPreview has just released a review on the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX. (A shorter name would be handy!)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hi all,
i have nikon d40x and have recently bought a Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR lens.
Pictures seem great but when i put the vr on active,after i have taken a picture and am still looking through the lens the picture seems to jurk,as if back into position.
Is this normal ?
Please help.....I am a novice!

john

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:43 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

You mean the view jumps a little to left or right when VR starts or ends? That's normal. (Well, for my Canon it is..)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

thanks Duques,
for putting my mind at rest....
john

Post subject: Re: Nikon Lenses
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:48 am 

There's been mention on this thread of a Nikon 70-700mm f2.8 V.R. lens. Does anyone know anything about it? I'm a Nikonian myself and but have to admit, I've never heard of such a lens. Can anyone help?
Also, I used the 70 -300 f4.5 - F5.6 V.R. on my last trip to KNP on a new D300 and found the results pretty good however, I wished I'd used a longer focal lenghs for a few of the pics I had the opportunity to frame up.
My fave lens at the moment has got to be my Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8. I used it in KNP for the most part and it handled the light beautifully.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:11 pm 

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am also a photography enthusiast. Any tips in general on photography in KNP?

I have a Fujifilm Finepix s8000fd and at this stage I'm quite happy with it, although I would like a SLR, maybe Nikon D40

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:33 pm 

animallover wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am also a photography enthusiast. Any tips in general on photography in KNP?

I have a Fujifilm Finepix s8000fd and at this stage I'm quite happy with it, although I would like a SLR, maybe Nikon D40

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Great camera and a great brand with outstanding lenses. I would get the 70-200 f2.8 VR and a 1.4x and a 1.7x convertor and that with your 1.5x crop factor will be plenty for a start in Kruger...I use that lens and convertors 90% of the time in Kruger with a full frame non crop factor camera..D700...I have been using N equipment for 40 years...I say go for it but have a look at the D90...best value for money at the moment but go for the glass first

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:49 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Hi and welcome animallover!

What animals do you love? All or just mammals? Because if you like birds as well the setup proposed by PB will be too short.
I personally use a 100-400 lens, and quite often find the 400 bit too short...

Another problem I have with the converter on the lens setup is that it looses you one stop, which means a more pronounced background than without. That often is not the result you wish for.

The D40 is a great camera, but I bet you can find secondhand D60's, as well as a host of Canon 20D and 30D's. All three are more recent, with better sensors and a few more options.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi animallover,
I have a d40X with a 300mm lens and found it good but you
always want more.
Have a look at my pics of kruger on the link below for examples of
my pics with a D40x. I do belive there is a new upgraded camera to replace the D40x...i would look for that.

hope it helps a bit
john

Post subject: Worth it?
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:10 pm 

I'm using two zoom lenses from my Nikon F4 days on my D80. Am I losing out quality and/or speed-wise by not using newer digital lenses? If so, is the cost of new lenses justified (probably quite a few 000's)? I'm talking mainly in the 28-200 range.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next