[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Lens Discussions
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
Thank you Badprop! :gflower:

PRWIN wrote:
:redface: please don't let me influence you as each person must make there own choice, for lenses such as the canon 100-400 and the sigma 120-400 there is not much difference ,but if you go to the fixed focal lenses that is another story, they are faster and sharper but way out of a persons price range.

I won't. Simply easier to see what one can do with the equipment. :thumbs_up:

Will be doing lots more research over the next few weeks before making my final decision. But for now the Sigma is really looking good for me. Will start saving for the Canon as well, maybe next year :pray:

Want to learn something new? Take part in our Quizzes

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:00 pm 

Hi guys,

I have seen the following lens in classifieds:

Sigma 120-300 f2.8dg HSM for R8 500.

Glass and mechanics is in perfect condition. Outside of the lens is showing a bit of wear and tear as the matt coating is peeling off at the edges.

Should I maybe ask the seller if a Kameraz or Outdoorphoto can have a look before I commit?

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :(

Ah well on to the next planning phase.....

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 pm 

JeanniR wrote:
Will be doing lots more research over the next few weeks before making my final decision. But for now the Sigma is really looking good for me. Will start saving for the Canon as well, maybe next year :pray:

If you're willing/able to save more, why not just wait a while and buy once?

You already have R15 000, why not just save up the extra R3000 or so you need for the Canon, save the money you would have lost selling the Sigma second-hand, and have an excellent lens quicker?

Also take into account that all the sub-R20 000 Sigma x-500 zooms are f6.3 at the long end, which will slow down focusing, especially in low light, significantly. And the best light for wildlife is low light...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:44 pm 

Take a look at this http://dustinabbott.net/2014/01/tamron- ... sd-review/

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

JeanniR wrote:
Hi Badprop

My budget is about R 15,000.00. I am a bit afraid of the second hand lens market :shock:

But will see if I can find one in good condition, otherwise I will go for the Sigma. Thank you for the advice :thumbs_up:

Don't be afraid of the second hand market. ODP is an extremely safe place to sell and buy second hand equipment. I have bought and sold various lenses there over the years.

I have owned the 150-500 Sigma and I can safely say that with your Canon body that you will get more blurry shots than in focus, and the reason quite simply is the sluggish autofocus on the sigma and the ability of your body to handle high ISO noise etc when you try push up the ISO to compensate for the low light struggling of the sigma.

Trust me and what the others are saying, use that budget of yours and get the 100-400 L lens from Canon. It is one of the best all round lenses on the market and you can easily pick one up for around R12000 second hand.

The sigma might give you a couple of good shots now and then, but you will have a higher percentage of keepers with the Canon, and that is unfortunately fact.

I do not want to tell anybody what to buy, but take it from me, I bought a sigma new, then lost R5000 selling it after a few months because I was frustrated with the quality and sluggish AF. I then bought a 100-400mm L lens and I have been using it for over 3 years now, never looking back.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

IBmit wrote:

It looks like a decent lens, and Tamron do make very good wide angle and short zoom lenses. I would wait a few months until there are more reviews out on the lens, and a bit more tests out in the field.

If they are all good, I would say that Tamron might have a winner here for the budget market!! I will also keep a close eye on this lens :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:55 am 

DotDan wrote:
IBmit wrote:

It looks like a decent lens, and Tamron do make very good wide angle and short zoom lenses. I would wait a few months until there are more reviews out on the lens, and a bit more tests out in the field.

If they are all good, I would say that Tamron might have a winner here for the budget market!! I will also keep a close eye on this lens :D

I think the issue will come in, like with the Sigmas, on the speed of AF!

I am having a look at the Sigma 120-300 on the weekend. Let's hold thumbs there is no backfocus issues! :roll:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 am 

DotDan wrote:
I would wait a few months until there are more reviews out on the lens, and a bit more tests out in the field.

I sounds like a great lense, but I agree about waiting for more in-depth reviews, and specifically field reviews by wild-life photographers, not someone who just played with it.

I would be very worried about AF in low light (also known to wildlife photographers as "sweet light"), considering that its true aperture at 600mm is F6.3. I assume that, like the x-500 Sigmas, it misreports to Canon as 5.6 in order to retain AF, but the reality is that there is a good reason why Canon cuts off AF at f/5.6 - it becomes very difficult, and therefor very slow, to focus beyond f/5.6...

If they managed to get it right, I'll be very impressed!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:51 pm 

So I missed out on the Sigma 120-300.

Looking forward, have anyone had any experience with the Sigma 100-300 f4 EX HSM?

I saw one advertised and reading reviews it looks to be pretty good piece of glass. Price is around R7k.

My budget is max R10k if there are other suggestions worth looking at.

This lens will be mainly used on my Nikon D7000. The lens that I look for will be used for anything from people, wildlife, etc. Hence, general purposes.

Any other suggestions?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 pm 

badprop
My personal view is that you would do better with a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 lens with a 1.4 or 1.7 converter.
There are some very good second hand 70-200 f2.8 lenses on the market particularly the first version.
Just my thoughts
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

badprop
My SO used to own the 100-300
A terrific lens.