Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recommended superzoom cameras
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm 

Hi guys, hope all is well.

It is almost time for my annual trip to KNP and can't wait.

I am looking to buy a superzoom camera for my wife to use. My budget is around R2k-R2,5k.
I am using a Nikon D3000 with a 70-300 lens. My wife is not keen on using it, and prefers something smaller. As you can guess, I want the ability to take good photos of animals, etc in the distance.
I would also like to have video recording ability.

What is your recommendations?

KNP - See you in May'14

Post subject: Re: Recommended superzoom cameras
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have a look at the discussion in this thread. I'd recommend the Panasonic FZ200, which I am planning to get myself -- downsizing from 2 Canon D350 bodies and two lenses. This seems to be an excellent alternative, especially knowing that both bert and Hawk -- both superb and exacting photographers! -- are happy with it :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:58 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Txs for the compliment Arks :thumbs_up:
Other good bridge camera's are
Fujifilm X S1
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita ... film_x_s1/

What i have heard about it is that the lens is a bit heavy and not so easy to handle

And the Canon SX50HS
http://www.canon.co.za/For_Home/Product ... index.aspx

Or the Canon SX500IS, which is way cheaper but still a great camera. (just within your budget)
http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/3907 ... hot+SX500/

Or Nikon Coolpix P520
(1000 mm Zoom!)
All camera's have a very good movie making systeem and some allow take RAW photography
btw, there are cheaper ones of abovementioned brands, still with a decent 600mm lens but only in JPG quality

The question is: top quality images or for home and personal enjoyment.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Have a look at the discussion in this thread. I'd recommend the Panasonic FZ200, which I am planning to get myself -- downsizing from 2 Canon D350 bodies and two lenses. This seems to be an excellent alternative, especially knowing that both bert and Hawk -- both superb and exacting photographers! -- are happy with it :thumbs_up:

I too would recommend the Panasonic FZ 200 (12.1 megapixels | 3″ screen | 25 – 600 mm (24×) I purchased an FZ150 for my wife last year and we where very happy with the image quality and color. She does the stills ...came from a Nikon D90 and is very pleased with the Panasonic and I do the video with a Panasonic GH3 and love the camera

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry people, I'm reviving a bit of an old one here. Just a while back I was asking around at other places about cameras. I was on the verge of going out and getting myself a DSLR. So, I was a bit concerned becasue to get any sort of serious lens power you need to stop eating for a while hey. Anyway, I happened to stumble across a guy who used to have a small camera dealership of sorts. And he asked me some questions. And among those were, what do you want to shoot? How often do you want to do it? How much kit do you really want to carry around with you? And then he actually suggested that I take a look at the more powerful compacts or bridges. He actually mentioned the Nikon P520.

So, I went out and took a look around. I actually have a Nikon Coolpx s800 with which IU have taken some pretty OK pics but I wanted something with a bit more zoom. The Nikon P520 just felt very cramped in my hands. Actually that is what I have felt with the Nikon DSLR's as well. And then I came across a Sony DSC-HX200V. With 18.2 megapixels and a 30X zoom. That apparently translates to over 800mm zoom. And it felt sweet in the hands. So I bought it. And it is serving me OK actually. I guess that if I am going to take this photography thing more seriously, I'd need to look at getting some decent SLR stuff.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:56 am 

Always goes to show that it's better to go and test drive a camera before you spend a lot of money.

I came across this article recently. Although he isn't a wildlife photographer as such, some valid points were made.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Something that bothers me just a bit is the fact that I cant find lens filters for the superzoom that I have. Way back I had a SLR medium format and always slapped a filter on to protect the actual lens glass. does anyone know if there is anything like this available for the Sony superzooms?

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So I'm looking at getting a new superzoom camera. For the amount of photography I do and the investment that I want to make, it just makes a lot more sense than the outlay I would need to go the DSLR route. And I see that Sony has a 50X zoom and so does Canon. The Sony MP spec is more impressive than the Canon's but some people reckon that is not the most important feature. Canon on the other hand can store pics in RAW format whereas Sony is just JPG. And speaking with a photographer the other day, he reckons that is pretty important to him.

Anyone around here have any opinions and input on these two cameras and the offerings? Maybe other options to consider as we3ll?

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:58 pm 

Hi Ed
These days the superzooms are all very good
I will always go for RAW
Unless you do not intend to spend a lot of time editing

Dont let the specs be a big issue
All superzooms deliver a great to good image quality up to 400 iso
Above that the quality drops.
That is the big difference with the new DSLR.
Great image quality up to 1200 iso

And DSLR are still faster.
I own both and the big difference for me is still image quality with a fixed prime DSLR lens
Nothing beats the 300 4.0 L lens for my Canon DSLR.
The same with wide angle shots
The prime lens is still tops

But for zoom lensing i dont see to much difference between the 2 and use both camera's in Kruger

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Bert. I reckon at some stage I'll move on to a camera with RAW but for now I'll make do with JPG. I was reading something on DPReview about the Sony I have. And it concerned poor image quality. One of the respondents maintains that too many MP's are being crammed into the sensor. Apparently quite a small sensor and the resolution is 18 MP. So, would it be safe to assume that if you reduce the MP count in your pictures (say from 18 to 12 MP) your image will improve?

Cheers - Ed