Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics






Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 3 of 3
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Help needed in buying camera for wildlife photography
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 pm
Posts: 274
Location: JHB
Arks - I have had a Canon sx30is for two years and have unbelievable photos taken in Kruger.

However, I am not a pro photograher, but find the shutter speed slow when trying to capture photos quickly.
When extending the zoom to its fullest (x 35) photos to tend to be rather grainy and the camera needs to be dead-still when shooting.
I have used it for videos and have wonderful video coverage.
The camera is not bulky either. Some people cannot believe that my photos are taken with this camera.
I would be happy to email some of my photos to you to see.

I have bought a canon 600d and am waiting to buy the 100-400 zoom mainly for long-distance photos, as I feel the canon sx30 just cannot give me the quality for those far distance photos. I will not give up my baby Canon, and will use it as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed in buying camera for wildlife photography
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:16 pm
Posts: 773
Location: Somewhere far far far away
fee wrote:
I have bought a canon 600d and am waiting to buy the 100-400 zoom mainly for long-distance photos, as I feel the canon sx30 just cannot give me the quality for those far distance photos. I will not give up my baby Canon, and will use it as well.


You will not be upset with the 100-400mm L IS USM. Absolutely beautiful image quality.

Take a look here for an image

_________________
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed in buying camera for wildlife photography
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 pm
Posts: 274
Location: JHB
Timbo that is an awesome shot.
Can you give me some advice. Looking at the Canon 100-400 but a few people have recommended the Sigma lens, which I have been reading up about, on the different sites and it doesn't seem to be as good as Canon, except for the price. What do you think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed in buying camera for wildlife photography
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:01 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:16 pm
Posts: 773
Location: Somewhere far far far away
fee wrote:
Timbo that is an awesome shot.
Can you give me some advice. Looking at the Canon 100-400 but a few people have recommended the Sigma lens, which I have been reading up about, on the different sites and it doesn't seem to be as good as Canon, except for the price. What do you think?


Hi Fee, in terms of sigma which one are you looking at? the 120-400, 150-500, 50-500, 135-400?

Sigma do make fantastic lenses, the difference is, not every single sigma lens will work perfectly and be absolutely pin sharp. May just be me but thats what I have found.

The 100-400 is gaurenteed to work well, well atleast it should. The lens is also faster and once you get used to the push pull action quite easy to use.

Canon 100-400

Sigma 120-400 no stabilizer

Sigma 120-400 OS

Sigma 150-500mm

Its really comes down to what you are willing to do. Are you willing to buy the 100-400 and be confident you should have beautifully sharp images and great image quality or would you rather spend a little less and go for one of the Sigma alternatives which might give you lowered image quality?

_________________
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed in buying camera for wildlife photography
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:06 pm
Posts: 18
I bought the Sigma 120 to 400 lense very happy with it. Try searching online I bought mine online, landed with taxes came to R6400 half the price I could get it for locally. Admittedly the rand dollar exchange was more favorable. Try B&H photo video or one digital central. I started with a Sony bridge and have an SLR Pentax - which I bought as a kit fro m B&H and have slowly bought my lenses. Dpreview gives great reviews. I bought the Pentax as the body is a little smaller and easier for me to manage. Very happy with it. Trust your instinct. :cam:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed in buying camera for wildlife photography
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am 
Offline
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:02 pm
Posts: 17112
Location: mind in SA, body in The Netherlands
One of the best testing sites is Dpreview :thumbs_up:
Indept reviews

_________________
Submit your Images


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed in buying camera for wildlife photography
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:16 pm
Posts: 773
Location: Somewhere far far far away
Debbyhug wrote:
I bought the Sigma 120 to 400 lense very happy with it. Try searching online I bought mine online, landed with taxes came to R6400 half the price I could get it for locally. Admittedly the rand dollar exchange was more favorable. Try B&H photo video or one digital central. I started with a Sony bridge and have an SLR Pentax - which I bought as a kit fro m B&H and have slowly bought my lenses. Dpreview gives great reviews. I bought the Pentax as the body is a little smaller and easier for me to manage. Very happy with it. Trust your instinct. :cam:


Dpreview is a site I use extensively
Great reviews and specs

_________________
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Webcams Highlights

Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Submitted by rodandginge at 22:49:35 Submitted by sarafl at 05:54:23 Submitted by manicwalker at 05:15:58 Submitted by manicwalker at 05:19:49