Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Help needed in buying camera for wildlife photography
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm 

Arks - I have had a Canon sx30is for two years and have unbelievable photos taken in Kruger.

However, I am not a pro photograher, but find the shutter speed slow when trying to capture photos quickly.
When extending the zoom to its fullest (x 35) photos to tend to be rather grainy and the camera needs to be dead-still when shooting.
I have used it for videos and have wonderful video coverage.
The camera is not bulky either. Some people cannot believe that my photos are taken with this camera.
I would be happy to email some of my photos to you to see.

I have bought a canon 600d and am waiting to buy the 100-400 zoom mainly for long-distance photos, as I feel the canon sx30 just cannot give me the quality for those far distance photos. I will not give up my baby Canon, and will use it as well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

fee wrote:
I have bought a canon 600d and am waiting to buy the 100-400 zoom mainly for long-distance photos, as I feel the canon sx30 just cannot give me the quality for those far distance photos. I will not give up my baby Canon, and will use it as well.

You will not be upset with the 100-400mm L IS USM. Absolutely beautiful image quality.

Take a look here for an image

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm 

Timbo that is an awesome shot.
Can you give me some advice. Looking at the Canon 100-400 but a few people have recommended the Sigma lens, which I have been reading up about, on the different sites and it doesn't seem to be as good as Canon, except for the price. What do you think?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

fee wrote:
Timbo that is an awesome shot.
Can you give me some advice. Looking at the Canon 100-400 but a few people have recommended the Sigma lens, which I have been reading up about, on the different sites and it doesn't seem to be as good as Canon, except for the price. What do you think?

Hi Fee, in terms of sigma which one are you looking at? the 120-400, 150-500, 50-500, 135-400?

Sigma do make fantastic lenses, the difference is, not every single sigma lens will work perfectly and be absolutely pin sharp. May just be me but thats what I have found.

The 100-400 is gaurenteed to work well, well atleast it should. The lens is also faster and once you get used to the push pull action quite easy to use.

Canon 100-400

Sigma 120-400 no stabilizer

Sigma 120-400 OS

Sigma 150-500mm

Its really comes down to what you are willing to do. Are you willing to buy the 100-400 and be confident you should have beautifully sharp images and great image quality or would you rather spend a little less and go for one of the Sigma alternatives which might give you lowered image quality?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 am 

I bought the Sigma 120 to 400 lense very happy with it. Try searching online I bought mine online, landed with taxes came to R6400 half the price I could get it for locally. Admittedly the rand dollar exchange was more favorable. Try B&H photo video or one digital central. I started with a Sony bridge and have an SLR Pentax - which I bought as a kit fro m B&H and have slowly bought my lenses. Dpreview gives great reviews. I bought the Pentax as the body is a little smaller and easier for me to manage. Very happy with it. Trust your instinct. :cam:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

One of the best testing sites is Dpreview :thumbs_up:
Indept reviews

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Debbyhug wrote:
I bought the Sigma 120 to 400 lense very happy with it. Try searching online I bought mine online, landed with taxes came to R6400 half the price I could get it for locally. Admittedly the rand dollar exchange was more favorable. Try B&H photo video or one digital central. I started with a Sony bridge and have an SLR Pentax - which I bought as a kit fro m B&H and have slowly bought my lenses. Dpreview gives great reviews. I bought the Pentax as the body is a little smaller and easier for me to manage. Very happy with it. Trust your instinct. :cam:

Dpreview is a site I use extensively
Great reviews and specs