Skip to Content

Polarize Filter in the KTP

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Moderator: lion queen

Polarize Filter in the KTP

Unread postby Joubie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:22 am

I am going to KTP for a week in December and someone has suggested I use a polarize filter to help with the glare from the white sand. Would love to know if anybody else uses one and if it would really make a difference. On previous trips I just used a smaller aperture (F14 or F16) on very bright days.

Guinea Pig
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Polarize Filter in the KTP

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:01 am

:hmz: I would be interested in the answers for your question too. Also going to KTP in 4 weeks, first time with my Pola filter.
On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

Kicker Cat

Unread postby Kicker Cat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 am

Polarizing filters have very specific uses - suggest you check Wikipedia - however you will find that most photographers prefer not to use any filters at all - so the only comment I can make is don't use the cheapest - use the VERY best you can get as any filter definately has an effect - but then remember you ARE using a polarizing filter for an effect.

Unread postby bert » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:38 am

I use them during harsh daylight.
polar filter does not only take a way the glare on the sand but also from the animals .
And also adds some colour
And landscaping

but important to use quality glass.
otherwise its just a layer and your image is not as sharp as expected

Unread postby EOS_User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Another consideration is that it will lose you two stops of light; which could be critical for moving shots!

Polarizers can be great, specially for blue skies with white fluffy clouds; but in the parks, my starting point would be to do without! When time is critical it can be the difference between a great shot and a missed shot while you fiddle about with the filter; which will also require adjusting every time you re-position the lens...

Dialling in a smaller Av will reduce your Tv; which, again could be critical. Set the Tv & Av you want (for creative effect) and compensate with ISO. Most cameras today will go to ISO400 or 800 without any perceivable loss of IQ. Also, remember that the bright glare will almost certainly have your camera under-expose the shot, so meter off a neutral grey (the palm of your hand is a good starting point), or dial in some positive exposure compensation.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”