Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quadcopter/drone
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:22 pm 

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with shooting video's in the KNP or anywhere else with a drone? I am waiting for them to become a bit cheaper but then I'm definitely getting one.

If you don't know what a drone is, search Youtube for 'DJI Phantom 2 vision plus' for a good example of one.

Post subject: Re: Quadcopter/drone
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 pm 

I think rather not buy a drone for shooting videos in our National Parks, RUG.

Please see/read Drone Photography in SANParks and Use of drones/quadcopters illegal in KTP ?.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:33 pm 

Thanks Matthys.
I must say I don't understand the hysteria about them on the second thread. But anyway I'll go to thread you linked to discuss it further.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rug,

Its easy to explain why drones can not be allowed. Drones are far cheaper than any intermediate level lens used by serious amateur photographers and therefore affordable to most serious amateur photographers in the park. Now if all invest in drones one can just imagine the air traffic of drones competing to get the best position around the animal of interest.

The other reason is the breaking of several park rules from getting out of your vehicle to disturbing animals when flying a drone. Currently there is no authority to ensure that the operator of the drone is competent to fly the it and thereby creating a safety risk to public and animals in case the drone falls or the operator loose control.

So it is not a case of hysteria but more common sense. If one person is allowed there will be many that also want a piece of the pie. By allowing certain visitors the right not to obey rules a few more without drones may then also say why can't I can out of my car or drive my radio controlled 4x4 toy with a GoPro camera on to a sleepy lion.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Well said son godin! :thumbs_up:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:55 am 

RUG wrote:
Thanks Matthys.
I must say I don't understand the hysteria about them on the second thread. But anyway I'll go to thread you linked to discuss it further.

I agree, the hysteria is a bit excessive (I don't think drones are inherently evil :tongue: ), but on the other hand, it would be impossibly to police the use of drone sufficiently to allow people to use them with disturbing other visitors and animals (imagine a dozen drones fighting for position above the lion you are trying to photograph!) and for that reason, I support a ban on them in national parks.

To me, it's like bicycles in camps. Arguably, one child quietly riding his bicycle to the camp shop would not be an issue at all. One drone, hovering well above and isolated sighting, and being landed in such a way that the operator need not get out of the vehicle to retrieve it (eg. on the back of a bakkie) would not be an issue.

But just like groups of children racing through the camp, with the screaming and shouting that inevitably goes with that, is an issue, so a dozens of drones being flown all over the place, approaching and disturbing animals, crashing in the bushes, being landed next to the road with people getting out to retrieve them, etc, etc, would be an issue.

Unfortunately both scenarios in the last paragraph in inevitable, which is why both bicycles and drones need to be banned :(