SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Selection Dial Glued
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:05 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
A strange question, I suppose. Several months ago a drop of gooey ice-cream spilled upon my camera's selection dial (the one that selects auto-, aperture-priority-, video-, etc-, modes,and which is located on top of my cam). I didn't notice, but after a few weeks, I found that the dial would not turn freely anymore, requiring an increasing amount of effort to change mode selection.

However, when the weather cooled down, it was almost impossible to turn this dial. Obviously, the gooey food substance has solidified under the dial, causing it to be glued in place. It is so bad now that I cannot change the dial at all unless I heat it up in the sun for 20 or so minutes! And then the dial does not turn freely, but still requires some muscle!

I am afraid that I might snap the dial off altogether. Worse, when the cam is not in heat (which can only be good for the cam), the dial is completely immobile. I tried to figure out if there is a way for me to clean out the goo underneath the dial, but I am afraid I might damage the cam.

Is there a way I can pop the dial off and clean underneath, or is it recommended rather that I take the cam to the agents and let them charge me hundreds of rands to sort out the problem?

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Selection Dial Glued
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi OWN!
Now, I see you're going through the same sort of problem I went through with my Nikon D80 a couple of weeks ago.
The gluey stuff is a special lubrication oil and if it's leaking out of the selection knob then it means the small rubber seals have broken.
It's trouble as it means the camera has to be completely opened and seals changed. It boils down to what camera you have and how much it will cost you to get it repaired. To have my D80 repaired they asked me more than the value of the camera and so I opted to buy a new D90 instead.

My advise is to get someone to give you estimate on how much it would costs to repair it and then you'll have to consider if it's worth it or not.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:16 am 
Thanks RR. :thumbs_up: So, even there they ask too much to repair cams!

I never thought of the lubrication issue, but it could well be that; although the trouble began soon after ice-cream seeped under the knob/dial. Either way, I'm wondering if I'm able to pop the dial off and clean it myself? (If it's lubrication, then an expert is the only way, but I want to see if it's ice-cream mixed with dirt that has done the deed.) At the moment, the knob seems unmovable and I don't want to force it for fear of breaking it.

Anyone else know if there is a way foe me to pop the dial up and off?

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

OWN, as far as I know the dial knob is sealed and is water proofed to a certain degree. Considering this I would try pouring a little hot water on the edges of the knob, keep it slightly tilted so the water flows away!, and see if it helps in any way.
My main worry about popping off the knob is that you will not manage to put it back in place again. The old knobs had tiny little lubricated ball bearings with little seals on top and bottom. Super system but once you pulled the knob out you would have a complete disaster in your hands as the bearings would come out of their place.

Before doing anything try taking it to a camera shop and see what they say about it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:45 pm 
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Thank you for the advice, RR.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

OWN, know nothing about the implications, but if the camera shop quotation is too much, what about a short squirt of Q20 or WD40?? These products are good at loosening things up and not regarded as "wet", so should not negatively effect the cam.

Just a suggestion (I take no responsibility for side effects) :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:51 pm 
A very good idea, Billy. I also have no idea too whether such a thing could harm the camera, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to try without further research. Anyone heard of using these liquids on a camera before?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
I think the safest will probably be to take the camera in and have a professional look at it... Rather spend a few rand than having to replace the camera. You can always ask for a quote first and then just pay a book in fee.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What flavour OWN, because some of the flavours are stronger than others. :whistle: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:53 pm 
Bushbaby, I think you may be right; but I was hoping to avoid exorbitant repair costs if the solution is simple. The problem too is that they often charge a lot just to look at the camera and give a quote.
I'll see if anyone else has any sharp ideas here, otherwise I may have no choice but to take it to a repair centre. The other thing is that it is a Sony, and Sony can be very sticky with supplying anybody other than their own authorised centres with parts of any kind.

Robert ... always a great sense of humour. :lol: :clap: To be accurate, it was a Fruitime Guava-nectar icy. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Alternatively, leave the camera somewhere where it can be easily be "affirmative shopping" and claim from insurance :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:56 pm 

OWN .... three suggestions to consider, but no responsibility taken for outcome:

Firstly, and possibly the best option - Get a qoute on repair from agents, including a possible minimum charge just to look at the problem;
Secondly, if some icecream or liquid seeped under the dial, is there any possibility of getting a piece of dental floss in there to attempt to clear some of the muck (warm and possibly damp when used). If not and option 1 does not warrant the repair cost, then and only then, I would try the following:

With the dial at the lower-most point of the camera (and keeping it in that position so that no liquid can flow into the delicate parts, if at all possible), flush the area with a constant stream of hot water while moving the dial to get the sticky stuff dissolved and out of there. When you are confident that you have removed most if not all of the offending material, use hair dryer at a low temperature until you are sure that all the liquid is gone, before turning the camera over. You have to avoid at all costs, any liquid from flowing into the working and/or electronic component area..... and this would be a last resort and merely an alternative to dumping the camera..... hopefully the first option repair can be cost-justified ....

Good Luck

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:59 pm 
Billy :lol:

Thanks for the ideas, Scott. Yes, indeed, I will find out about the first option and, if not suitable, will attempt the dental floss thing. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:28 pm 

:

Last edited by Mutiman on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 pm 
Another great idea. :clap: :clap: Thanks Mutiman. :thumbs_up: