Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Okay guys, start saving....
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:17 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Pr ... R/EOS_1Dx/

The EOS-1D X combines speed with image quality, to create the next generation camera for professionals. Full frame 18 megapixel sensor with Dual “DIGIC 5+” processors sets the standard, and up to 12 frames per second shooting takes it beyond.
Features

18.1 MP full frame CMOS sensor
Up to 12fps plus 14fps High speed mode
100-51200 ISO, up to H:204800
61 point AF system
100,000 pixel RGB AE metering
Full HD 1080p EOS movie
Dual “DIGIC 5+” processors
Clear View II 8.11 cm (3.2”) 1,040k LCD
Ethernet port

Performance redefined

18.1 MP full frame CMOS sensor
A Canon 18.1 MP full frame CMOS sensor delivers stunning performance, producing exceptional low noise, high-resolution images even in the darkest conditions. The full frame sensor delivers optimum results from wide-angle lenses and gives you greater control over depth of field. Image resolution exceeds the quality demanded by leading photo agencies - making it ideal for extra large prints up to A2 size, even after cropping.

Super high speed shooting
Capture every second of the action with up to 12fps continuous shooting, increasing to an incredible 14fps in Super High speed shooting with continuous bursts of up to 120 large JPEG images (36 RAW).

Huge ISO range
An exceptionally wide ISO range of 100 to 51200 – expandable up to an incredible ISO 204800 – means shooting need never stop from the brightest conditions right through to near darkness.

61 point AF system
A high-precision 61 point AF system, featuring 41 high sensitivity cross type sensors, delivers fast, accurate focussing of fast moving subjects – whatever the lighting conditions. The centre 5 AF points are dual cross type for added precision.

Consistent, accurate metering
A 100,000 pixel RGB AE metering system with a dedicated DIGIC 4 processor measures not only brightness but also colour to ensure highly accurate exposure for natural results even in complex lighting situations.

Full HD EOS movies
Shoot Full HD (1080p) video with a wide range of user selectable controls on a DSLR including exposure, frame rates, audio and compression control. An HDMI output allows High Definition playback of footage and images.

Dual “DIGIC 5+” processors
Canon’s latest generation Dual “DIGIC 5+” processors deliver the fastest and most advanced image processing to date for best-in-class image quality. Working with 4 A/D converters to provide 14-bit image processing for smooth tonal gradations and natural looking colours as well as advanced Noise Reduction at higher ISO speeds.

Large, anti-reflective LCD
A high-resolution 1,040k-dot 3.2” Clear View II LCD screen, allows easy, accurate review of images and video. Superbly durable, an anti-reflective, hardened glass structure prevents reflections even in the brightest sunlight.

Ethernet port
A built in Ethernet port allows for fast, easy transfer of images directly to a PC or via a network to clients from live events.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Okay guys, start saving....
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wow :shock: with those specs i would imagine saving will be a lengthy process :lol:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:32 pm 

Wow!

Just what we need!

Will have to save for at least 2 lifetimes.

The Canon EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera is scheduled for March 2012 availability and will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated retail price of $6,800.00. The compact, lightweight WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter is scheduled to be available in March 2012 and have an estimated retail price of $600. Availability for the GP-E1 GPS receiver is expected in April 2012 with an estimated retail price of $300.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:13 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

How fast is 14 photos per second?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/inrsoul/62 ... hotostream

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good grief , whatever happened to the old-fashioned Brownie " catch-the-birdie " box-camera :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:21 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
DuQues, with all that bragging I suppose you've got one, right?

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:40 am 

I'll just console myself with the fact that my 7D still has a 1.6x crop factor :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:07 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
:lol:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:13 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

onewithnature wrote:
DuQues, with all that bragging I suppose you've got one, right?

I wish..... *sigh*

Imagine the photos we could have taken at Golden Gate with the 17-40 (a real 17-40 then!) on that camera....
<sends sms to GP to buy Lotto tickets...>

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:48 am 

Ramon wrote:
The 1DX is a superb machine but not the best Wildlife camera :cry: ...but the sports togs are smiling :D

:hmz: I will rather wait until production models of the 1DX are actually available and tested before jumping to any conclusions over its wildlife camera capabilities - currently expected to be released in March 2012. :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:41 am 

Ramon wrote:
Agree Mike we should wait for the inevitable comparison tests and to see if all the Wildlife pros want to go back to Canon. One thing for sure is that the 1DX will have far better noise performance than my brother's 7D which effectively is not much good in that dept from ISO 800 on up...if I was a Canon Wildlife tog and wanted FF I wouldnt hesitate and get the 5D MKII x 2 and possibly have change for a few nights in Kruger :D

Duques above would have loved the 5d MkII on his recent Golden Gate trip for landscapes with his 17-40 lens. Sounds like he hasa crop factor camera of some persuasion?? :wink:

In its price-class the 7D is a fantastic crop sensor camera (compared to say the D7000) - it is however not intended to compete with the Nikon D3S top of the range full frame camera. The 5D MkII is full frame but also in a different price-class and not the best for action photos. Canon's 1DX is their latest top of the range professional camera in the same price-class as the D3S. On paper at least imho the specs are very exciting. If i was in the market for a camera in this price-class I would most definitely wait until the formal release and comparison tests before before making a choice.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 am 

Ramon wrote:
Agree Mike the 7D is a top crop factor camera like the D7000 but I rate the Canon 7D higher because it takes twice as fast CF cards when compared to the same SD card brand/model that the D7000 has to take and yes it is completely unfair to compare a 7D class camera with a D3S class camera as my brother with his 7D had long packed his camera away late one dark Aug Kruger evening (we dont believe in flash on animals especially nocturnals) and I was just upping the ISO on my camera (D3S) to way above ISO 6400 and happily carried on shooting while he watched.
I also think the 5D Mk II is awesome..A mate of mine has one here near me and sure its only used asa studiop camera but his Kruger shots with his Canon 300 f2.8 are awesome

:thumbs_up:

Wish I owned a D3S or a 1DX or even a 5D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
However my 40D is still working fine and the biggest problem remains the nut behind the viewfinder. :redface:

The way things are going we will soon be able to take pics without flash in almost full darkness.

Last edited by mikef on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:44 pm 

My 5D2 and 7D must do the job...BUT...I'm saving and can't wait for the 200-400 f4 with the built in 1.4 extender.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm 

J.J. wrote:
My 5D2 and 7D must do the job...BUT...I'm saving and can't wait for the 200-400 f4 with the built in 1.4 extender.

This lens combined with the 1DX is likely to be a killer combination for wildlife - if cost was not an issue and both were available today I would be first in line to buy :pray:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Stop, smile .....engage... poof
gone with the past!!!........................

no more character but merely a fact.

I wonder??