SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Johann:

I know the transfer from 8mm to DVD can be done, and its far better than just to video (or a 2-step process, film to video to DVD), because I've had it done with old family home movies (dating back to the mid-1930s). However, I'm in the US, so my source is no help to you.

I'm sure you can find a professional video transfer house somewhere in your area. Possibly even just a web search for video or DVD transfer. Or try a local top of the range photo shop as they may be able to give you a reference.

HTH, arks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:22 pm 

francoisd wrote:
Johann wrote:
As I've said before somewhere else on the forum, my grandfather has been going to KNP for close to 50 years, if not more. He has quite a bit of footage on 8mm.
Now, does anybody know (in RSA) how to get this on to video, or even better onto DVD?
Don't want to throw it all away. There's some great stuff on there.

Did a quick search and found this place which seems to be in Pretoria. Look under the Products link. They do 8mm to both video or DVD.

I do not know this company so cannot comment on their service

Thanks for that link Francois - been interesting to find out how they do it - if they just film the old movies with a good digt. video camera or if they actually scan the old movies in frame by frame, the latter being the way to go if you want to convert your old movies. I will email them and ask and then keep you guys posted.

We have tried filming old movies with a video camera. You need to get the projecter to run at the same speed frames per second as the video camera to get past capturing a 'flicker'.

Once you have captured these on dv then it is a fairly simple matter to write them to DVD.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
Johann wrote:
As I've said before somewhere else on the forum, my grandfather has been going to KNP for close to 50 years, if not more. He has quite a bit of footage on 8mm.
Now, does anybody know (in RSA) how to get this on to video, or even better onto DVD?
Don't want to throw it all away. There's some great stuff on there.

Did a quick search and found this place which seems to be in Pretoria. Look under the Products link. They do 8mm to both video or DVD.

I do not know this company so cannot comment on their service

Thanx people!
Will contact them and see what's happening

Never thought about that solution DB. Makes sense though, thinking about it now :D

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Another point to consider when buying a video cam is nightshot.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:45 am 
We recently replaced our Sony TRV20E with a Sony DCR-PC1000E. This is an amazing camera that gives you excellent quality video and photos. This camera does not have nightshot but it does give better quality video in bad light compared to our previous camera.
I still use a firewire to transfer the video to my computer. Photos are transfer via USB.
For video editing I use Pinnacle Studio v9. When we take the video we don’t bother too much with backlight etc. All the imperfections can be corrected afterwards with the software – including background noise.
The video and photos (as a slide show with music) I then put onto DVD. If we had some interesting events on our trip I also add a menu item with scrolling text that tells the story.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Jumbo wrote:
We recently replaced our Sony TRV20E with a Sony DCR-PC1000E. This is an amazing camera that gives you excellent quality video and photos. This camera does not have nightshot but it does give better quality video in bad light compared to our previous camera.
I still use a firewire to transfer the video to my computer. Photos are transfer via USB.
For video editing I use Pinnacle Studio v9. When we take the video we don’t bother too much with backlight etc. All the imperfections can be corrected afterwards with the software – including background noise.
The video and photos (as a slide show with music) I then put onto DVD. If we had some interesting events on our trip I also add a menu item with scrolling text that tells the story.

What is the size of the stills, Jumbo?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:07 am 
wildtuinman wrote:

2.8 mega pixels - Also has build-in flash
Will ask my SO for address of website he used for getting info. and reviews on all the newest cameras.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:21 am 
My SO is quite sharp today. Here is the website
http://www.camcorderinfo.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jumbo wrote:
wildtuinman wrote:

2.8 mega pixels - Also has build-in flash
Will ask my SO for address of website he used for getting info. and reviews on all the newest cameras.

Sounds like a great DV.
Sony Product Page
Technologies included are very impressive.
Regards
bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:47 am 
bwana wrote:
Sounds like a great DV.
Sony Product Page
Technologies included are very impressive.
Regards
bwana

Wow Bwana, we got it for considerable less than what is displayed on Sony’s website. :shock: Might be the R/$. If any of you are interested in the name of the dealer we bought ours from, you can pm me – was in Pretoria

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:49 am 

Jumbo wrote:

Hi Jumbo,
just an advice:
when you have editted your movie, you said you put it onto DVD, but I hope you also make a backup of your movie on DV-tape!! That is the best way to keep your movies safe for a long long time. Better then DVD. I also make DVD of our safaritrips but always a backup on DV-tape!! :!:
I use the Canon XL1s

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:03 pm 
ruud wrote:
Hi Jumbo,
just an advice:
when you have editted your movie, you said you put it onto DVD, but I hope you also make a backup of your movie on DV-tape!! That is the best way to keep your movies safe for a long long time. Better then DVD. I also make DVD of our safaritrips but always a backup on DV-tape!! :!:
I use the Canon XL1s

Hi ruud
Thanks for the advice.
At this stage I make back-ups by creating DV quality AVI files of the edited video and writing that to data DVD’s – and it is costing a bit as you can imagine.
Why would you say that the tapes are a safer storage medium as the DVD’s?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jumbo wrote:
ruud wrote:
Hi Jumbo,
just an advice:
I use the Canon XL1s

Hi ruud
Thanks for the advice.
At this stage I make back-ups by creating DV quality AVI files of the edited video and writing that to data DVD’s – and it is costing a bit as you can imagine.
Why would you say that the tapes are a safer storage medium as the DVD’s?

DVD's are easily scratched, affected by temperature, external effects etc. Tapes by the nature of their design are safer.

bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
By using the tapes you can copy them over and over without losing any quality.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to all of you posting today for this useful information. I am a real video neophyte, so have a few possibly "idiot" queries, such as, What is "nightshot" ?? Apparently something different from being able to video in low light?

Also interesting about making DV rather than DVD copies. How do you do that? Do you need a special tape recording drive?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next