SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:21 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
BTW, for those of us who are linguistically challenged, what's "groendakkies" ???

"Groendakkies"-benaming vir psigiatriese inrigtings.
Or in English: Psychiatric hospital.

Where else? :twisted:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Always take the video and have some nice footage on a
stampeding hord of Dagga boys.
But we have a old one 8mm no digital but after seeing our
result it is time for a new one

The white balance was not always correct and the sound
recording was very windy :cry:

And did the usual stuff.
Me in front of the tent
Angel in front of a house
Me on the terrace
She on the terrace
Me with the braai
She with the etc etc etc
Doest matter what the quality is but it is always nice to see
it back, even with the nasty words and oh and ahs when the
dagga boys really look close during a teleshot

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I’ve just had a quick look through the specs of some of the latest Panasonic video cams and I see that some of my previous statements are already outdated. A firewire capture card is no longer necessary as the new panasonics now all download to PC through USB 2, so all that is required hardware wise is a PC with USB 2 ports a fast IDE hard drive, a fairly good graphics card, a minimum of 256mb RAM and a reasonably fast processor. This is all pretty standard stuff on the average new PC today. Panasonic also include entry level video editing software with their cams.

Further points to remember when buying a video cam: The optical zoom is what matters, digital zoom is a gimmick. Check what service backup is available in SA for the brand you buy. Video cameras are not something you or your camera dealer want to try to service or repair. My own experience is that Sony, Canon and Panasonic all offer good backup in SA.

A second battery is essential if you are going to film away from home and possibly even a converter that will allow you to run your cam or charge batteries off the cig lighter. Get an approved make to avoid any chance of damage to your cam. The “automatic modesâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Hawk:

Thanks SO much for this very useful update on video cams. I'm leasning towards Canon (tho still in the very preliminary stages of research) and appreciate you including the US model number. It would appear that not only the video systems but also the model numbers differ between countries/goegraphical areas. The info in this thread is going to be extremely helpful once I'm ready to concentrate on which camera to buy.

thanks!! arks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:37 pm 

More video kits are posted here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:56 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

If you have the money you could choose the Sony HDR-FX1. It is a $3000+ videocam, so not for the faint of wallet.
Some people find it a problem that you cannot use other lenses on it, well, you can now!
Have a look here to see how to fit your telelenses on it...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
More video kits are posted here.

Thanks for posting this link, DB!! This forum is becoming a really great resource for reliable camera info.

DuQues wrote:
If you have the money you could choose the Sony HDR-FX1. It is a $3000+ videocam, so not for the faint of wallet.

When I win the lottery .... To be honest, those top of the range cameras look far too complex. I'm looking for something in the +/-$500 range, reasonable optical zoom and IS. More of my budget is going for the DSLR, lenses, and storage for those pix whilst in SA.

The info that's collecting in this forum is a huge help to me in learning about what's out there and narrowing my choices. It's great to be able to "talk" to people here who know which features are really important for wildlife pix and to also be able to look at the results they get with they cameras they are using.

Whatever I end up getting, I'm going to be deeply indebted to all of you here. Definitely Castles or Amarula to any of you I cross paths with when I finally get back to KNP in 2006!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:46 am 

Thanks to all of you for your valuable insight--it looks like I'm in the market for a good video camera now!

My wife was really not wanting one, due to the cost. However, she looked on EBay and found quite a few digital videocams for sale at much lower prices than we expected. And I also saw that overstock.com also has a few on sale as well. These options are much cheaper than buying new.

Now she can get my Steve Irwin impressions on video tape. Crikey!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ebay is full of wonderful deals for many things. There is even shops that advertise on there. Whenever you see a buttin that says "buy this now" it is usually a shop shelling it and then the risk is minimal. Ebay has evolved a lot in the last couple of years.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No doubt a video camera is a wonderful tool to have besides your camera. As mentioned by others there are certain things you cannot capture by using a normal camera like the many sounds of the savanne being it at night or during the day. Also, filming the animals and seeing it "live" when you return home is great and makes the whole experience and the feel of it easier to remember and more real.

And it's great for those seeing it who wasn't with you at the time. Let's face it, even though all of us at this Forum loves photography it might not be equally shared by our friends and family.

Cheers,
CD

Post subject: Re: Video Cameras
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wild@Heart wrote:
Is it feasible to bring a camera along when going to the KNP. Why I'm asking this is, is because it's not like a camera where you can take the photo and watch further.

Aren't you missing the reason for being there by watching animals with your "eyes" and not through a video camera "eye"?

Then also there can be a lot of nice memories being captured.

What is your opinion on it..

If you got it bring both. You will not regret that decision. Just returned from Kruger recently and my wife and I had both with us. I took photos and she used the video camera giving us both enough time to "use our eyes" as well. And it's great to have when you return home and especially to show family and friends.

Cheerio,
CD

Post subject: inspiration
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
Hello I am new here. I use a Canon MX2 D for making films so I can studie the animals for my work. I am a wildlife painter an mij wife is a wildlife photographer. But I get also my inspiration by looking around without a camera. Next week we are going for 5 weeks to the KNP and I hope we wil bring a lot of beautiful films and pictures back with us. You can visit my website www.nicobulder.com

Post subject: Re: inspiration
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:50 pm 

Nico wrote:
Hello I am new here. I use a Canon MX2 D for making films so I can studie the animals for my work. I am a wildlife painter an mij wife is a wildlife photographer. But I get also my inspiration by looking around without a camera. Next week we are going for 5 weeks to the KNP and I hope we wil bring a lot of beautiful films and pictures back with us.

Welcome Nico and enjoy yr trip
Like the paintings
Another artistic way of presenting the beautifull and endangered :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As I've said before somewhere else on the forum, my grandfather has been going to KNP for close to 50 years, if not more. He has quite a bit of footage on 8mm.
Now, does anybody know (in RSA) how to get this on to video, or even better onto DVD?
Don't want to throw it all away. There's some great stuff on there.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:13 pm 

Johann wrote:
As I've said before somewhere else on the forum, my grandfather has been going to KNP for close to 50 years, if not more. He has quite a bit of footage on 8mm.
Now, does anybody know (in RSA) how to get this on to video, or even better onto DVD?
Don't want to throw it all away. There's some great stuff on there.

Did a quick search and found this place which seems to be in Pretoria. Look under the Products link. They do 8mm to both video or DVD.

I do not know this company so cannot comment on their service

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next